• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I deal with good falcos?

Technowizard

Smash Rookie
They control space so well I always have to resort to some backwards ass approach that always fails and I get 0 to deathed with one shine. If i stick to the ground i always have to counter their approach from shield like wavedash back or shine oos.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't recommend fullhops or double jumps against a Falco who doesn't autopilot when lasering. If you jump after him, there's no reason you shouldn't get anti-aired for attempting to approach this way.

WD OoS is great yes, but you also don't have to shield the lasers at all. Just moving after they hit is fine, escpecially if you CC.

Back air is good.

Stay close enough so Falco can't laser safely, or far enough he can't follow up from a laser with frame advantage.

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
Get above him and/or in shield. If you read the laser he actually has no options if you fullhop over before he even gets it out. He is also quite an awful character when in shield. Spacing aerials on his shield forces him to do specific things that you can punish.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Shine him. Just knocking Falco down over and over is a pretty effective way to prevent him from mounting an offense. And shining him offstage basically means he's dead.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Learn how to edge cancel your fox illusion, specifically from one platform to another. Once you're good enough at that, you can stay on the opposite side of the stage from Falco, bait out laser, and do some platform play. The timing is up to you on that. Also, canceling fox illusion with the frame-perfect B input after the start is a good mix-up/throwoff option you can use to bait out a shine or other would-be punish.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
You always have to play to your strengths, first of all.

You need to convert big on every punish. If you can't convert from a shine punish, then I'd recommend looking for alternatives. I personally get the most off of grabs, especially on stages like BF where its easy to follow-up on platforms. On that note, I've had most of my success when maximizing platform movement. If you're not slip'n'slide'n across the platforms like Hax$, you need to get back into the lab and master that.

Most importantly, in my experience, is having good edgeguards. If you don't get the easy kills from the ledge, you lose in this matchup- its as simple as that.

tsm2k420XX

Smash Cadet
Against falco, I usually try to feel him out by being almost a side b length at the start, and zone with bairs, but be very safe and not overextending and getting punished for it. If they laser, use a mix of short and full hops, along with powershields, and if they nair and I shield it, if they did not space well, use shine oos or an aerial, like nair or bair. Shine oos when they mess up their approach is a good way to lead to a tech chase, and maybe an edgeguard if they roll to the edge. Falco is great at controlling the pace of the match, so I always think if he is controlling the pace, he is winning, so I try to disrupt all of his control options, like spaced bair, or lasers. If you can control the tempo, the falco should not be winning.

Ennui_

Smash Rookie
Just practice powershielding lasers and space bairs at the front of his face. Approaching with nair to shinegrab is also great to set up for punishes. Whenever I play Falco I usually fish for grabs, which is the basis of winning the MU. Once you get him off stage it's generally gg's.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Bair is too good. Get him cornered and space bairs to knock him offstage, even at low%.
Have good edgeguards. Put out a hitbox to cover side b (nair,bair, run off DJ nair), then go out for the kill when he upBs too close, or just take the ledge.
Fish for knockdowns with running shine, nair shine, drill shine at low%. Learn to thunder combo, or simply tech chase to get your grabs. Chain grab, it's easy and broken. uthrow, utilt, usmash, uair him all across the stage and platforms then hit him off stage with bair at mid/high%.
FH nair is fine, even if it's more effective in the ditto than vs falco.
Platforms are your friends : retreat safely, run off bair, shield drop is OP, bait him to leave the ground to take back some stage or intercept him. When there's no platform , on FD, approaching can get tough, but the CG more than makes up for it. Practice CG vs 20xx bots and erase falco stocks EZ on FD, it's actually your best stage because of this.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Fullhop works good if you want to get around falco lasers, it gets around SHL and scares them

Shine them if u can, it can get u a random gimp or a tech chase situation. If they do really bad lasers then try to grab them maybe.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Falco's will **** you up if you let them , and they will **** you up hard. What it really comes down to is that you need to do that to them before they do it to you, so brush up on your vs falco combo game, watch videos, pratice on 20xx, call your falco friend over and have them do random di patterns and try to get out of your combos , whatever it takes, this is not a match up you want to skimp on.

Top Bottom