• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I beat Samus? My story...

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
My serpentine friends, I come before you today baffled and defeated. I fought one of my buddies on Wifi yesterday, whom I first proceeded to out-CQC his Sheik. Little did I know, he was actually hiding his secret weapon, Spammus! (power-suit Samus).

The match was standard tournament-style 1v1. 4 stocks each, final destination, no items, you know the drill.
The fight basically went down as follows: She kept me at a range with her projectiles, using missiles and other ranged weaponry. Not only that, but whenever I went to approach her in close-quarters combat, she would quickly air-dodge and use her grapple hook to keep me at arm's length! I couldn't touch her! That bought the stocks to about 2 to 4 (in Samus' favor). Then, I came to a sudden realization. My only choice was to fight fire with fire. I began spamming my own projectile, the grenade. To my surprise, the grenades really evened the fight out, especially because I would be able to throw my grenades OVER Samus' missiles (seeing as the missiles only fly straight.) Samus did not know how to react to my drastic change in strategy until I evened the score to 2v2 stocks.

Then, things took a turn for the worse. She finally figured out how to maneuver around my grenades by short-hopping and spamming missiles. I had begun to give up hope. I couldn't use grenades, nor could I approach her due to the air-dodge grapple hook. I've used up every option available, but nothing seemed to be working. She took me down to 1 life. The score was 1-2. A few well-placed grenades knocked Samus back on her a$$, allowing me to get a few forward-tilts to put her on her last stock.

This is where my tale ends. She kept me at range with those insidious projectiles long enough to finish our hero off with a fully-charged and well placed B move.

So there you have it, the story of Solid Snake's defeat to the hands of the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter. Samus, in my book at least, should be moved up a couple tiers. Her ability to keep you at range is unrivaled by any other character in the game. Yeah, even Toon Link doesnt compare.

Snake community, help me out. There must be a way to defeat this projectile-spewing tin can once and for all!

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Samus' missiles are probably the weakest projectiles in the game. I bet you can simply hold down A and block every single missile.

You could also learn to powershield the missiles and grapple. It's fairly easy to block Samus' moves.

Don't just sit back and use your projectiles. Get up in Samus' face. She can't do much in close quarters. Just stay close to her, and chase her.

That's the problem I had when I was Samus. If I wasn't far away from the opponent, I would fail.

So forget your projectiles! Use your CQC as much as possible.

If Samus tries to grab you, just side step dodge. Once she misses, there are so many attacks that she can eat. :laugh:

*salutes* Good luck

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Samus' missiles are probably the weakest projectiles in the game. I bet you can simply hold down A and block every single missile.

You could also learn to powershield the missiles and grapple. It's fairly easy to block Samus' moves.

Don't just sit back and use your projectiles. Get up in Samus' face. She can't do much in close quarters. Just stay close to her, and chase her.

That's the problem I had when I was Samus. If I wasn't far away from the opponent, I would fail.

So forget your projectiles! Use your CQC as much as possible.

If Samus tries to grab you, just side step dodge. Once she misses, there are so many attacks that she can eat. :laugh:

*salutes* Good luck
Boss? I thought you were dead years ago in Zanzibar land! Massive, UBER Spoiler:
Ha, just kidding. I beat MGS4, great ending scene between Big Boss and Solid Snake. Loved it.

In any case, don't underestimate the sheer power in numbers of Samus' projectiles. Sure they're weak, but it's hard to defend yourself against a whole wave of them, especially since Snake is a relatively big target. I will try to keep Samus close with CQC as you've suggested.

Snake, over and out.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Was he using super missiles or the homing ones? If he was using super (the green ones) then I'm pretty sure Snake can crawl under them. I have no idea how to counter the grapple beam though as no one plays Samus in my area.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Was he using super missiles or the homing ones? If he was using super (the green ones) then I'm pretty sure Snake can crawl under them. I have no idea how to counter the grapple beam though as no one plays Samus in my area.
I really can't say for sure, but I know she was using a mix of the two. Crawling probably would have been a good idea, I will give it a shot next time I encounter her.

Interesting you brought that up though. In me vs. Sheik, I was unable to crawl under her shurikens most of the time. That probably threw me off a little when fighting Samus.

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
...One more thing...

Approach as slow as you want by powershielding and running towards Samus. I can understand how destructive the influx of missiles can be. But, I bet you can just crawl under them if you want. You can also crawl under the grapple too. But, I suggest using the powershield.

Once you are done crawling, I would put up your shield just in case Samus does the dtilt. Shield grabbbing is probably a good way to attack after crawling. Shield into ftilts is probably more efficient if you're afraid of such attacks such as dsmash or dtilt.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
you know that your nikita cancels out every single missle right? Just stay far away and when she starts to approach, win.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
you know that your nikita cancels out every single missle right? Just stay far away and when she starts to approach, win.
It sounds good on paper, but unless the Nikita missile actually attracts Samus' homing missiles and destroys them, they would just go around the Nikita and hit Snake in the face while he is controlling it. In other words, 3 homing missiles > 1 nikita. I have my doubts that this would work.

Azgner

Smash Apprentice
but don't the homing missiles go at a veryyy slow speed? I play against a spammy samus on wifi with regular basis, and the nikita works well, and so does crawling. The only way she can get you out of crawling is a homing missile(that goes way too slow for you not react) and a full charged shot.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
but don't the homing missiles go at a veryyy slow speed? I play against a spammy samus on wifi with regular basis, and the nikita works well, and so does crawling. The only way she can get you out of crawling is a homing missile(that goes way too slow for you not react) and a full charged shot.
Hey, you would know better than me. I've only faced Samus once or twice, and dont really play her as a secondary. But, one would think that the Nikita would have trouble absorbing all her missiles as some of you claim it can.

YellowSnowDemon

Smash Rookie
I have a lot of experience against a very skilled Samus.

When you're talking about the grapple beam, you mean in the air, right? You never specified, and you're very vague. But anyway, Samus' missiles by themselves aren't a problem, like many have said you can just hold A and destroy them. But the most dangerous Samus' use a mix of the two missiles, and an aerial grapple beam. With enough pressure from all 3 of these, sometimes you can be either given the choice to take a hit, or let your shield be broken. Because of this, and Snake's height, I believe she can be one of Snake's hardest matchups. But, here are my experiences. Me vs. my Samus friends are usually 60/40, 60 being Samus.

But, approach with crawling/shield. Don't spam your projectiles, don't spam mortar slide, just work on getting close. Leave your offense for when you're in her face. And definitely do not approach from the air. Snake is tall, and you will get the beam spammed on you. If you air dodge the beam, you'll get fsmashed or dtilted, or missiled.

Once you manage to get close to Samus, I suggest ftilt or grab-> nikita. Don't use AAA, she can punch you through that.

Also, plant C4 about 3/4's through either side of the stage, forcing her to remain fairly close to you. Only mortar slide when she's just began her retreat, or if you're sure you'll combo with it.

Use upsmash to edgeguard, but only if you have plenty of time to set up, or she'll ledgehop missiles/grapple beams. If time doesn't permit such actions, drop a C4 and back up a little bit.

Samus is a real tough fight, and I hope I've helped. Good luck.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot of experience against a very skilled Samus.

When you're talking about the grapple beam, you mean in the air, right? You never specified, and you're very vague. But anyway, Samus' missiles by themselves aren't a problem, like many have said you can just hold A and destroy them. But the most dangerous Samus' use a mix of the two missiles, and an aerial grapple beam. With enough pressure from all 3 of these, sometimes you can be either given the choice to take a hit, or let your shield be broken. Because of this, and Snake's height, I believe she can be one of Snake's hardest matchups. But, here are my experiences. Me vs. my Samus friends are usually 60/40, 60 being Samus.

But, approach with crawling/shield. Don't spam your projectiles, don't spam mortar slide, just work on getting close. Leave your offense for when you're in her face. And definitely do not approach from the air. Snake is tall, and you will get the beam spammed on you. If you air dodge the beam, you'll get fsmashed or dtilted, or missiled.

Once you manage to get close to Samus, I suggest ftilt or grab-> nikita. Don't use AAA, she can punch you through that.

Also, plant C4 about 3/4's through either side of the stage, forcing her to remain fairly close to you. Only mortar slide when she's just began her retreat, or if you're sure you'll combo with it.

Use upsmash to edgeguard, but only if you have plenty of time to set up, or she'll ledgehop missiles/grapple beams. If time doesn't permit such actions, drop a C4 and back up a little bit.

Samus is a real tough fight, and I hope I've helped. Good luck.
Clearly you understand my dilemma better than most. I was indeed referring to the grapple beam in air, but Samus usually air-dodges before the grapple to avoid being hit and keeping me at a distance. So what you're suggesting is to close distance and then crawl under her grapple beam when I'm in range?

Sounds difficult, but I guess it's our best approach...Thank for the advice.

El Sabroso

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicoSabroso
3DS FC
2492-5549-4843
First be psychologically prepared, u have advantage vs samus, yes samus players tend to be campers and use graple beam all the time, and some missile spam... a good aproach is powershield one of that graple beams and use bosst smash (mortar slide) to her... once she's up, she'll try to use a bomb or simply jump and go away from u (using her ada is not a good option for her for the delay of this attack), u can chase her with ur u-tilt and spam mortars for takin' her to ur mindgame

the nikita is the best proyectile in the game, can endure all the missile spam

in conclusion, vs samus ur best defense is ur hability to pressure to her

strike42

Smash Journeyman
the only thing that i know about this match is that dair can break thru the missles.

Roager

Smash Ace
Dude, grenades were a good plan, and using them well, with some mixing up the throws, should help. I'm sure you know how useful dropping nades with guard, then grabbing them again can be. Also, some shorthopped airdodges can be pretty useful for getting past missiles. Spot-dodges and dodge-rolls are pretty nice, but they're a bit too punishable from the charge beam. Just don't repeat yourself too much, to make sure she doesn't learn how to punish you too well. Get in her face. Samus's hand-to-hand skills were nerfed from Melee, so you should do okay. A d-tilt to u-air is often useful, but it's not always easy to land, depending on what the opponent does. Vary your attack strategy, so she has to adapt. U-tilt comes out quick and is pretty powerful, so it'c good to toss in here or there. Same with jab or f-tilt.

Anyway, the meat of all that was: Get in her face. She's not nearly as good that way. Mix up your approaches and your attacks. Good luck.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Samus shouldn't be hard at all. Just short hop or roll by the missiles. While throwing grenades. This forces Samus to stop camping. It shouldn't be too hard to read when Samus is going to pull out the air dodge grapple so just spot dodge it and then **** with ftilt or utilt. All you need to do is keep the pressure on.

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Samus shouldn't be hard at all. Just short hop or roll by the missiles. While throwing grenades. This forces Samus to stop camping. It shouldn't be too hard to read when Samus is going to pull out the air dodge grapple so just spot dodge it and then **** with ftilt or utilt. All you need to do is keep the pressure on.
The thing is, I don't think you can keep a Samus from camping. She will always try to keep a large amount of distance away from the opponent. It's the only way to be efficient with Samus. Like you said, keeping pressure on the Samus is the way to win. There's nothing Samus can do. Well, I guess people who main Samus get used to running and dodging a whole lot.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
If samus didn't suck she would be a counterpick to snake...

samus can lay bombs...... and blow up your mines at will.

She has a very good meteor smash and snake is somewhat prone to those.

spammable seeking missiles keep you at back.

zair outpriorities anything you throw at her.

want to snake dash?????she can stop it with a quick b energy bullet. and some zair action.

Samus was built to counter snake but fortunatly she just sucks in this game so it is pretty even.

Samus and DK are my countermatchups to snake

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I'm a Samus main so I guess I can help you a little bit..

Snake just needs to camp (surprise!). Jab will eat missiles, and snake can duck/crawl zairs and punish with dair. Camp in your shield and punish her moves -- she isn't fast enough to avoid OOS ftilts or whatever. Also, Samus needs to get you to like 150+ to have a chance at KOing you. Obviously recover high above the stage to avoid being daird, as the dair is one of Samus's prime KOing options.
I wouldn't really use grenade pressure against Samus, but rather for setup/spacing hazards. What Samus wants to do against snake is use missile and zair to force Snake to shield or jump. The samus should try to grab snake during his shield far enough to not get ftilted, to throw to get you off the stage and gimp you during your easily gimpable recovery. Or, she wants you in the air so she can continue to combo the hell out of you.

I hope that helps.

Oh, and Nikita is easily zaired through or airdodge-> zair punished. Don't bank on nikita to eat missiles..

EDIT: ChromePirate didnt do this to you did he?? lol

Top Bottom