• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do I beat level nines

Don't play against them. They have the same patterns. You'll mostly/only learn how to counter only those patterns

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
@ Varist Varist i really dont have that luxury at the moment since i don't have descent internet and no one in my area plays smash so its also really hard and @ EPsilon933 EPsilon933 should i play lower level bots?
I usually play against level 7 bots whenever I am forced to play against bots, but it's still not a substitute for real people. 20XX has modifications for making the Player 2 bots have random DI and tech patterns, but that's the best thing I can think of to practice with if you don't have anyone near you that plays Smash.

EDIT: Added the details about 20XX

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
Play against 1-3's for their DI. Don't play to win against cpus. All you can do when playing alone is learn combos, and grind tech skill.

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
While all of this advice is good and it's not that important or smart to face level 9s...

No offense but if you can't consistently beat a level 9 it does mean that you're really bad. Keep practicing, preferably with humans.

Last edited:
I once tried fighting a level 9 after playing competitively for a year. It was difficult

Fighting CPUs is weirdly different from fighting humans

shaxstax

Smash Cadet
i feel like cpus know what your doing before you even do it as well everything they do is frame perfect and @ HMWii22 HMWii22 that was offensive some what lol i see what your getting at but at the same time i feel like im not that bad at the game and i did place average at a local tournament so i feel confident im not trash iv only played seriously for about a month as well

AirFair

Marth tho
wait 1-3? I thought it was 7 cause from what I've read they DI randomly
The reason I would play those levels is because a level 7 will constantly attack you. If you fight back against cpu's then it just makes bad habits for you. The first 3 levels of cpu are bascially the same except they will let you combo them easier. For instance, I practice chaingrabing spacies behind me with lvl 3 instead of 7.

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
When I practice with CPU's (which is all the time), I always go defensive; and practice tech skill. For example, I Fair SHFFL camp on FD and just wait for them to **** up to lead into combos. I practice edge guarding, L-Cancelling, DIing. Basically I'm just grinding tech skill and committing it into muscle memory. If you play Smart, it's extremely easy to 4 stock them. Just use your brain, and get them off the platform. Easy as hell to edgeguard, and they never go for the ledge.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
So did anyone answer the question of how to beat level nines :|

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I think it depends on what level nine your facing.
For example, Ganon and Falcon are really up+b happy. If you do any SHFFLing they read your input and up+b accordingly. Fox, on the other hand, will probably fsmash, and Marth will probably just do a standard attack. I think Ganon and Falcon's command grabs are the only things that would actually win against any SHFFLing you throw at them.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Never play them, they are more frustrating than anything. Mario is complete bull and when it's Link you can barely get close to him.

Also, they can grab my Jiggly when I do a rollout, frame perfect. o_O My friends can hardly pull it off.

shaxstax

Smash Cadet
I can beat them now lol but iv found that it doesn't help my play in any way what so ever so iv jus been playing level sevens to practice my combos and tech skills

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
So did anyone answer the question of how to beat level nines :|
Level 9's, as already said are terrible for practicing. Here's a list of stuff you can do (and do repeatedly) to beat any lvl 9 cpu.

-DD until they inevitably try to running grab you from way too far away.
-wave dash back onto the ledge, then get up attack them. Repeat.
-CC and dtilt them. They may try to grab you out of this one sometimes, but usually they just take it.
-Roll behind them and F smash. This is the oldest trick in the book.
-Just spam smash attacks. Seriously.
-learn chain grabs. Unless you're playing 20xx, they don't really DI well enough to make it difficult to chain grab.
-Double jump, then dair them. Doesn't work on some characters, but it does for most.

Last edited:

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Congratulations for answering the question.
I think everyone knows that level nines are terrible for practice, but nice job pointing that out.
Its definitely worth reiterating. In fact, maybe a mod should change the name of this thread to "Don't play against lvl 9 cpu's"

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
Universal: Walk away from opponent, then fsmash behind you when they get close enough. Then ledgehog.

falcon/gannondorf: Walk to near the edge of stage, shorthop a few times or take the ledge they will up-b off the stage to their death. Shield falcon/wizard kick or raptor/purple boost and punish.
fox/falco: interrupt their recovery animation (fire-fox/bird) and they will not retry again until they are too low to recover. Throw offstage and they will instantly try to fire-fox/bird, so this is super easy.
Marth: He will approach with a grab or dash attack if you are grounded and not right next to him. Spot dodge it and punish.
Sheik: Smash while she's transforming.
Peach/Luigi/Yoshi: Don't jab or do a low hitstun move, they will instantly nair.

Seriously though, the universal strategy almost always works on level 9s. They can't do anything about it.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Its definitely worth reiterating. In fact, maybe a mod should change the name of this thread to "Don't play against lvl 9 cpu's"
Or maybe people could play smash the way then want, and play smash the way they want. HMMMM....

shaxstax

Smash Cadet
Thanks everyone for the help iv taken everything into account and I can now beat level nines every time I'll probly stop playing them soon though since iv found it doesn't make me better but thank you every one for the help

Last edited:

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Thanks everyone for the help iv taken everything into account and I can now beat level nines every time I'll probly stop playing soon though since iv found it doesn't make me better but thank you every one for the help
Or you could...you know...find some players and duke it out and git gud.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
You shouldn't be upset that you can't beat lvl 9s. I trained for months against lvl 9s and it got to the point where I could 4 stock them with ease. Didn't learn a thing and when my friends came over to have a game...I still beat them but it was mostly through trial and error. I'm like you, where I know nobody who plays Smash nearby, so I'm also limited to how much real practice I can get. Try to attend any tournaments you can and play against your friends whenever the opportunity arises.

Also if you want to use CPUs to practice combos, play against lvl 7s since they're less predictable.

Last edited:

unlistedNiL

Smash Cadet
all this talk about level 9s as if they are really hard. They have a lot of technique and skill with their annoying down dodging and perfect shielding everything, leading into easy grabs for them, but i am not even a pro and i consistently beat them and can 4 stock half the cast as falco. i can even beat them 2v1 (seldom but i can do it!) w/o friendly fire.

my brother is more casual and he likes to play 7s as well. I think playing against 9s even if you cant beat them is a good way to improve on reflexes and other skills, but its not very useful if you are trying to do exploratory options. there is no shame losing to a 9 tho. just pause and press A B Y X L R

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I once tried fighting a level 9 after playing competitively for a year. It was difficult

Fighting CPUs is weirdly different from fighting humans
Same here, I've been playing for a little more than a year now, and I still get killed by LVL9's every once in a while. They act so strange in comparison to other people. I'm around 3rd best in my city and yet, I'm not 4-stocking bots...

shaxstax

Smash Cadet
@ Mastodon Mastodon don Or you know I don't have that option ( as I already said earlier ) since no one around Me plays melee and I don't have internet for net play . the closest I have is in Niagara falls and even then people don't play there all the time and its about a 30 minute drive or 2 hour walk so yeah thanks for the advice

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
While all of this advice is good and it's not that important or smart to face level 9s...

No offense but if you can't consistently beat a level 9 it does mean that you're really bad. Keep practicing, preferably with humans.
I'm not entirely sure if CPUs read inputs in melee, but in Smash 4 this isn't at all true because of that. The level 9's in that game have instant response to inputs so it's not really viable to play against them jf you're trying to improve.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
There's gotta be some people in your area willing to play with you. Smash is a fun game, ask people who play other games if they want to play some Smash. It doesn't matter if you're better, as long as you find people. Not only does fighting CPUs cause bad habits, it gets boring fast.

There's gotta be some people in your area willing to play with you. Smash is a fun game, ask people who play other games if they want to play some Smash. It doesn't matter if you're better, as long as you find people
Offer to play their games too. It'd simply be more friendly

Massive

Smash Champion
I'm not entirely sure if CPUs read inputs in melee, but in Smash 4 this isn't at all true because of that. The level 9's in that game have instant response to inputs so it's not really viable to play against them jf you're trying to improve.
CPUs don't need to read inputs since they are simply reacting to your action state.
The smash 4 AI is not as buggy as the melee AI, and it's certainly better (as you would hope it would be) but it's still very predictable and easy to beat.

Amiibos are a pretty good example of how weak the smash 4 AI is. They can't truly learn from you or perform the same strategies most players are able to, so these deficits are compensated for by changing knockback/damage scaling.

Top Bottom