• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you transition from *previous game* to Project M?

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
I'm interested in reading about how people have transitioned from their previous game to Project M. That game can be Smash Bros (64, Brawl, or Melee), BlazBlue, Marvel vs Capcom, Skullgirls, Injustice, Street Fighter, etc. It could even be a non fighting game.

Talk about what was easy, what was hard, what was different, and everything in between. High level players - low level players. Anyone is welcome to post.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I played Brawl (competitively, albeit poorly) for years with my friends and never played Melee all the much ever. Switching from Smash to Smash even with plenty of difference had its benefits. The first time I played Project M I didn't like it all that much, it felt foreign and everything seemed so difficult. My friends weren't interested in getting it so it never seemed like that big a deal. Over time I started getting tired of Brawl, and Project M 2.5 was released. When I went back to it I went in with an open mind and more patience. I picked up on Melee stuff quickly enough and found the game to be easy enough once I got my bearings.

I started with only one or two characters, I can't even remember anymore since I enjoy like half the cast these days... Needless to say it took me a little while, b ut I found Lucas to be my favorite, from then on I stuck with him and have loved Project M since. My friends even got into it as well. I'll be going to my 2nd PM tourney today and I look forward to seeing PM grow! :)

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I switched from Brawl (still mainly Brawl), but this first Project M session with my brother and cousin caused my brother to say some of the funniest things because we weren't used to the engine. "Playing Pit is like playing a one winged seagull." It was a good night. Now we've grown somewhat better at playing. To actually play characters and understand the engine. My faves are Link, Roy, Lucario, Samus, DK, and Diddy. His are Mewtwo, Ivysaur, ...i think tehre's more.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I actually started on Melee and moved to Brawl. Me and some friends played Brawl all the time and when I tried to introduce them to Project:M, it didn't catch on. But when 2.5 and 2.6 I played those quite frequently. And when 3.0 came up, it blew my mind. It's like the only one I play now! I'm very comfortable in Project:M!

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Transitioned from playing competitive Brawl for I think about 2 years. Started Project M just a few days before 2.6 was released. The transition was full of scrub-like behaviour and complaining about the lengthened hitstun (which to be fair, I wasn't used to in the slightest). Started off with Pit to get a hang of the game (I didn't like Wolf's new playstyle), then moved to Wolf and finally found the character for me when 3.0 came out (Roy). It took me a few months to really get a grip of the ATs that are pretty much considered "basic" manoeuvres in P:M. I can't really go into much more detail. It was just rather slow and difficult, that's it.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Switched from Melee/Brawl to P:M Played DK been hooked ever since also been working on improving my movement and tech skill. If you know most of the smash basics switching over is no problem.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I've played competitive Wifi Brawl almost a year after it was released initially, which was how I got into competitive Smash... I was the type that moved from the past to the present, so I sort of left Melee behind and didn't care for all the competitive metagame, and at the same time labelling those professionals as "obsessed to an unsettling degree" at the time.

friend of mine noticed i had a couple minor gripes about brawl (Sonic's moveset did not include anything from "Sonic Battle") and eventually convinced me to give Project M a try, using that wish fulfillment as the hook. I was initially uncomfortable with it, given it's been years since I was used to Melee's physics and precision, and I had to learn all of Melee's stuff from scratch. to this day I still have a personal preference against using Wavedashes as a substitute for Rolls, though I'll use wavelands and the like with no problem when I need to. but once I got a hold on it, I developed a new respect for the Melee metagame and felt much differently about those pros.

the big problem for me is that because I was never aware of competitive smash (let alone Melee) until i was well into Brawl, I have difficulty moving as fast as those who are seasoned on Melee... despite this, Brawl's metagame has improved my ability of observation (which you kind of need when you're trying to thrive as a close range fighter who's NOT MK, Sonic in this instance), so I try to use analysis to make up for my lack of speed in tech skill

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I too came over from Brawl. About two years ago, my cousin started telling me repeatedly to play Melee instead because of the faster pace. At the time, I stubbornly refused the same way he stubbornly refused to transition to Brawl. I just couldn't let go of the huge and diverse cast Brawl had, I loved it too much, even though I acknowledged that Melee felt more lively. Seeing that he couldn't convince me, he proposed I try P:M if I get the chance so that maybe someday I reconsider switching to Melee. Not knowing what it was, I completely forgot about it. Huge mistake.

This summer, after visiting Smashboards more often, I saw people throwing around the word and telling how good it was. Since I was a little bored of Brawl, mostly because I had no one to play it with, I decided to try P:M. I didn't even bother learning about the game before downloading it. Among the first things I noticed was that Charizard had a slot on his own, so I took him for my very first match. As soon as I saw that he had an actual Down-B and a useful Side-B, I fell in love with the game. The same day, I literally tried every single character to see what had changed. I was truly amazed. It was like rediscovering a new Smash game. Here I am several months later, P:M having become the only game I play.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
The most recent game I played before I switched to Project M was Brawl+

I had actually gotten a little bummed out over the state of things at that point. I was playing Brawl+ but I wasn't really that into it anymore and I hadn't been active around here so I had no idea that Project M existed. I started kinda getting back into Smash Bros when my cousin started coming over to play Brawl+. Well one day he came over, but I had left my Brawl disc at somebody's house so we played Melee. It was the first time I'd played it in years at that point. But it was really a lot of fun -- the faster pace, the advanced techs, all of it.

I wish I remembered how it happened, but because of that I ended up back here, where I found out about Project M. From that point on I was hooked. It was everything I wanted in a new Smash game. It had the new characters that Brawl offered but it played like Melee... better than Melee in my opinion.

And now I'm working on setting up a weekly Smash thing near my place so I can get to play with and meet more people in the area. Maybe even introduce new people to Project M ;)

Fighting

Smash Rookie
I switched from Brawl to PM.

I had always wanted to play Melee, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Eventually, I found out about PM, and tried it out. The speed instantly had me hooked. I never really understood why people didn't like Brawl until I played it either.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I'm a casual player who's been to a few Melee and Brawl tourneys. I always preferred Brawl (for numerous reasons) but I like PM even more, as it combines things that I like from both games. It was easy to pick up the characters I play now, though I have difficulty with ATs and space animals and the like. Still, on a casual level, the transition is easy. Competitively, I'd like to think that I'm better at this game than I am at Melee, but I have little experience to suggest one way or another.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Back in the day, even though I wasn't a competitive player at the time, I still had a very elitist attitude when it came to Melee or Brawl.
I was like "Meta Knight...no thank you" and picked up Melee again in 2010. After destroying my friends in intermediate school, I felt unstoppable. Then when I started High School, I saw some kids playing Melee. I thought I'd destroy them too. I challenged the best player to a 1 v 1....I got 3% on him as he 4-stocked me. After the match, he said I was average, and that I seemed like I could be good if I put in the work. I don't know how he came to that conclusion, but this inspired me to look for ways to get better. While I was researching, I found Project M. It seemed like the best of both worlds, and gave me a reason to touch my Brawl disc again. I showed it to the guys at my school, and they started picking it up too.

Now in 2014, I'm practicing both Melee and Project M diligently to hopefully start attending tourneys.
I'm honestly not sure which of the two I like better though.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I played Brawl for years with just one other person. About a year ago I got into PM and with a much bigger scene. I used Marth in brawl and learning a melee character in a different game was neat. I am more comfortable playing Marth in this game than melee for that reason.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
started playing PM right around when 2.5 came out from brawl. played melee years back and enjoyed brawl because it had more content and was well put together. Everyone always said melee was better- and going back and playing melee I can see why. However P:M is everything good from brawl content wise improved with better faster mechanics.

oh... and I'm still slangin Gundam Battle Assault 2 from time to time, since PM3.0 release it has been taking up most of my video gaming time- I know I suck at competitive smash yet I'm willing to take the time to get better and compete on a big level

TreK

Is "that guy"
The hardest part was getting to get me interested in the game. From the name, and the Melee-like gameplay, it was easy to conclude, as a Brawl guy, that this game was made by grumpy old Melee grampas who were salty because they were too bad at Brawl.

But I'm still a curious person. And when I travelled to the UK this summer, I stopped at the London Smash scene for a couple days, and I had just discovered that there was a flash on the L cancel, which made me realize that maybe, there was a possibility that these guys did not take Melee as their second bible, and actually questionned its mechanics and seeked to improve upon it. There are about 2 or 3 PMBRers there, so there was a P:M scene for me to check out, unlike in France.
So that's when I finally decided to try P:M out.

I'm still playing it to this day, and I've been working hard on growing a P:M scene in France ever since I got back from London.
As for the "technical hurdles"... Competitive play is about adaptation, and I'm a competitor, doesn't need any more explanation. It takes some training but it would be a pretty bad game if I could just step in and claim the title without training. The only hard part is switching back and forth between Brawl and P:M. I don't know how M2K does that, the guy has my respect.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
The hardest part was getting to get me interested in the game. From the name, and the Melee-like gameplay, it was easy to conclude, as a Brawl guy, that this game was made by grumpy old Melee grampas who were salty because they were too bad at Brawl.

But I'm still a curious person. And when I travelled to the UK this summer, I stopped at the London Smash scene for a couple days, and I had just discovered that there was a flash on the L cancel, which made me realize that maybe, there was a possibility that these guys did not take Melee as their second bible, and actually questionned its mechanics and seeked to improve upon it. There are about 2 or 3 PMBRers there, so there was a P:M scene for me to check out, unlike in France.
So that's when I finally decided to try P:M out.

I'm still playing it to this day, and I've been working hard on growing a P:M scene in France ever since I got back from London.
As for the "technical hurdles"... Competitive play is about adaptation, and I'm a competitor, doesn't need any more explanation. It takes some training but it would be a pretty bad game if I could just step in and claim the title without training. The only hard part is switching back and forth between Brawl and P:M. I don't know how M2K does that, the guy has my respect.
I've won a couple local tournies in brawl. The lowest I've ever got was quarter semi finals. Let me tell you something... **** brawl. :3

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
It wasn't a strict transition from Melee to PM, but I feel like I just transitioned alright, though with a slight few difficulties since there was that long period of brawl inbetween. I suspect my playstyle still has a bit of Brawl feeling laced in it.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Transitioned from Brawl Minus, whens Michael Bay Snake?

But seriously, I played B- until P:M 2.5 or so, it was an easy transition as I had some experience from Melee.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Melee to Project M.

It was easy.
Like everything transferred over perfectly.

2.6 demo at the time.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Brawl+ to P:M 1.0.

Piece of cake. Been sticking with P:M ever since.

StKo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-7897-1226
Started as Brawl player. Rediscovered melee and had much happiness.
Discovered Project M.
More happiness was had

Nysos

Smash Rookie
So, I started playing PM after a few years of doing areans in WoW with my only prior experience in smash being like 10 years ago with melee as a kid. It's a pretty different feel, and I'm still pretty bad at this game.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I breathed a long sigh of relief when I realized how awesome this game was going to be. I've been playing since 64, and I was more satisfied with PM 1.0 than I was with any other smash game in existence. I play this game every single day, practicing tech skill with all of my characters. Somehow I still have time for Blazblue, Guilty Gear, and Skullgirls, even though I work 60ish hours a week.

DanlulZ

Smash Cadet
I've player smash since 64 and still played alot of melee until i saw project M on VGBC stream and just did it to my wii it may be more fun than melee in alot of ways :p hope it never goes away

MLGF

Smash Lord
Jumped from... hmm... I think I was playing Blazblue and KoF at the time. Before that, I was playing a lot of Brawl+ and I was decent at that.
Needless to say the lack of auto L-Cancels, from Brawl+ days, motivated me to practice and master L-Cancels in about a day.

And then I taunt canceled.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
i'm from melee, the transition was easy enough but my only gripe for now is that it doesn't feel as good as melee

needless to say, i have completely converted to PM and solely PM, bc as it currently stands its much and i mean MUCH better than melee in almost every aspect

oh and it actually made me open my eyes to the brawl community, who i now have a very deep and well deserved respect for playing and trying to make a game competitive even though the creator did everything in his coding power to make it as casual as possible, you go guys

MLGF

Smash Lord
^^

I just want to say that when I went to Apex, Brawl players were some of the most enthusiastic and passionate players out there. Essentially everyone was extremely pleasant, but Brawl players were some of the easiest people to talk to. I was also surprised how many people jumped from Brawl to Project M, thinking I would be the minority, and I learned a lot about the Brawl metagame in such a short time. I do somewhat wish I could go back to Brawl, but it's just not fun for me anymore.

I know this is entirely off topic, but I just wanted to follow up on what Sixth-Sense said and say you guys have my respect.

Last edited:

MattNF

Smash Lord
Played Smash 64. I love combos.

Project M has tons of fun combos. Therefore I love Project M.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I had been a casual brawl player for years when I found out my college's game club was organizing a Project M tournament. That was last year. I had no idea what PM was, and had barely touched melee during my childhood, but I figured I was good enough in brawl so I entered. I got absolutely destroyed, and turned the page on that.

Last semester, the game club got its own permanent location in the college, which allowed smash to go on 24/7 there instead of only on thursday nights, which got my attention. The beginning was rough, but I learned pretty quickly and now I breathe smash. Looking forward to coming back to maybe beat those who destroyed me last year this march.

SciCore

Filthy Casual
I had played Brawl for a while but something just felt off about it. I kept hearing about project M all over the place so I decided to give it a try. It felt much better than Brawl did so it's pretty much the only one I play now (though I still go back to regular Brawl every once in a while).

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I transitioned with tears of joy.
Didn't see this my first run of this thread. Story of overarching truth. If I wasn't
on the surface(not entirely sure now, kinda hazy since I was super hype my first time playing, but can you blame me since I was always a Melee head?), I CERTAINLY was on the inside. Same idea as really good food; great enough to make a strong man weep.

SirDavidMandrake

Smash Rookie
NNID
AlphaDave
I played Melee for years, was absolutely obsessed with it, was pretty handy, then Brawl came out and I played that for a few months, it left me cold I'm afraid and I just didn't go back to Melee, got really into my Xbox and helped run a 360 community until a few months ago.

Anyway I was browsing YouTube I saw a comment about Brawl+, it piqued my interest, then I read up on Project M, this was just before the release of 2.6. Well i downloaded that as soon as it came out and started playing, it was everything I wanted Brawl to be, fell instantly in love, then started playing Melee again, so glad I did, honestly can't believe I neglected Smash for so long. Disappointed in myself really and looking back I wish I'd kept playing.

Transition wise all my tech skill was all there from Melee, it was just rusty as hell. Just had to learn all the stuff they kept from Brawl but that wasn't too bad.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Played brawl free for alls with friends, but I didn't take the game seriously at all. My goal of the game was just to play game and watch until I could get my final smash because I find the octopus hilarious. Then I heard about a mod that made brawl a competitive fighter (PM) and I've been playing ever since.

Top Bottom