• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How did you do at your first Smash Wii U tournament?

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Whatup smashers!

Just a simple question. How did you do at your first tourney for Smash 4 and who did you use and what did you learn from it?

I went to smashcon and I used Dedede in tournament and I learned that i need to fight all characters more. I fought a good wiifit and lost because I dont know the match up. i need more match up practice. I got to losers final in my pools and lost.

Here I give my impressions of Smashcon and talk about how I did!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibt2KbJNb_Q&index=1&list=PLnsuy3XuF9ZWPGsk4i4YOAHr-yeZ48VX3

Sound off smashers!

Saucen

Bruh
NNID
FangMaGuoLai
I play casually and didn't have a wii u or my own copy of the game that the time.

I went to winterbrawl where I got 2 stocked twice by some dude whose friends were talking mad trash the entire fight. I don't mind trash talk but these dudes were borderline shouting in my ear.

Other than that group of people, everyone else was chill.

Last edited:

~Astra

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChainsawPolice
I rocked up to my first tournament with delusions of grandeur – "I've played against my friends before, and stomped their asses nine times outta ten. I've got a shoe in to win this tourney!"

I got stomped two games out of three. The one guy I won against was just as new to the games as I was, so it was anyone's match, really.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I play casually and didn't have a wii u or my own copy of the game that the time.

I went to winterbrawl where I got 2 stocked twice by some dude whose friends were talking mad trash the entire fight. I don't mind trash talk but these dudes were borderline shouting in my ear.

I learned recently, that is why most players wear headphones during the game lol Now I know why, since going to smashcon. I had a group rooting against me and going crazy over every mistake i did. Can be very irritating.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
My first tournament was actually Super Smash Con as well.

Advanced out of my pool through losers then got trumped by a Sheik 2-0 in the first round of pools 2. I used Shulk the entire time and only switched to Falcon twice.

Saucen

Bruh
NNID
FangMaGuoLai
I learned recently, that is why most players wear headphones during the game lol Now I know why, since going to smashcon. I had a group rooting against me and going crazy over every mistake i did. Can be very irritating.
Most of the people were surprising chill it was just these dudes in esports jerseys part of some team talking mess. I've heard my fair share of trash in street fighter but these dudes were right in my ear. Obnoxious.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I actually did pretty well. I went 5-2 in round robin pools and 1-2 in bracket. I used Dedede only. Had no alt at the time. It was a local tourney with around 40 players and I got 9th. I was very happy with my finish. Could have easily gotten further. The match I got eliminated went to game 3 and the sonic I was playing got an early kill on me off the top during the transition on Delfino.

I learned to develop an alt to my main because Dedede has some awful matchups.

I played 3 different Sonic mains, and got knocked out by a Sonic in bracket...and Sonic wrecks Dedede. So glad I have a pretty good Wario now to fall back on for the awful Zero Suit and Sonic matchups for my main.

The other thing I learned was to play offline more. I had done 99% of my play online via Wifi. Offline feels a lot faster. There's always a little input lag when playing online...I'm prepping for my next tourney by playing mostly offline. Mostly against level 8 CPUs (not 9's they input read too much) and a friend who plays a mean falcon/shiek.

Last edited:

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Uhh I went in incredibly nervous. Lost 0-2 to a Lucario In winners round 1. My first Match and I get destroyed. Then in Losers my Round one opponent is DQ'd so I'm anxiously awaiting for my opponent who was playing my crew mate. I have to play a ZSS that just beat my crew mate who I considered better then me. After a extremely close Game 1 and 2 I get a hard, hard, hard read and 2 stock him game 3. Next game I play a sonic/Mac and it goes to game 3 again. Both of us at 140% but he over commits to a Up Aerial Assault and I get him. Then next round my Next opponent was a pretty solid Charizard main. At this point after having a what appeared to be a Losers Bracket run going I get Cocky. Barely lose Game 1 then 2 stock him game 2. It's tied 1-1. And I choke and lose Game 3. Overall I learned not to be cocky and that it's not over til you see that Result Screen.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
First one i did was a doubles with a friend at school, neither of us had tried Sm4sh so we had no idea who was good or not, we went random the whole time and ended up in the finals against the people that owned the Wii U. We ended up going to 5 games and it ended up as my partner around 90% as Yoshi against a 85% against Pikachu, he got a good read we ended up winning the thing. There was salt.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Became the darkhorse of the tourney as I casually obliterated everyone using Falco with a 3ds as a controller

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
I've never participated in a Wii U tourney. Maybe I will sometime in the future if I can get my win percentage in For Glory greater than 50 percent.

Volt.

Smash Rookie
It was a 45 player local. I mained Marth at the time and surprisingly I got 5th place and I beat the tournament host along the way! EDIT: Its probably worth mentioning it was also my first smash bros tournament ever

Last edited:

OPT!XX

Smash Rookie
NNID
opt1xx
Played my first tourney 4 days after owning a Wii U and got wrecked both games lmao

Daybreak502

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EricAJ
My first tourney was this summer in smash 4 it was a 53 person tourney and I got 25th. Decent but not great for my first tourney

ewItsBoo

Smash Cadet
Smashcon, 0-2 in my pools. I played so many friendlies and stuff there, that I realized how to advance BOTH my Mario and Pikachu play, and I can actually start beating my IRL friends that have beaten me since the game came out. Smashcon was my first tourney in general, and I can't wait to go to more!

TheKingofKoopas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bowser5566
3DS FC
0001-3508-1615
My first tournament was the mess that was Alpharad's 50k subscriber tourney.
It was fun and all, and I got PRETTY far for my first one (I believe I got as far as Alpharad did in the loser's bracket) but Challonge decided to be rude on the day of the tournament and stopped working.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto

God. That is such a **** move when people do that. Can't those scrubs just enjoy the game instead of acting like they have mental issues?

D

Deleted member

There was an event during my sophomore year in high school called SmashBash. They had tournaments for Smash Wii U and Melee, but I only entered for Smash 4. Bummed there wasn't any Project M tourney either despite it being there for us to play.

In my early matches I used Dedede and Toon Link, then later on I used Ness and won every single match from that point on. I made it to Finals and ended up getting beaten by my friend, who's insanely good with Lucina. I'm still surprised how well I did for my first tournament, especially since I almost lost Semifinals to my friend's Jigglypuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom