• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How dedicatted are you to your main??

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I was going to originally title it, "Conditioning Your Main," but that would be misleading.

The question is fairly obvious. How dedicated are you to your main? That he or she is the only character you ever pick out of the character selection screen since you picked up Smash 4?

For example, Its clearly obvious that mine is Fox, after using Yoshi for years then getting disappointed with his performance in Smash 4 well, that dinosaur went adios. I never choose another character out of the selection screen, even if I get tired of Fox's victory stance, never do. I am so committed to Fox that I will disconnect-voluntarily, whether at home or at a tournament, if my Fox is getting beaten by another Fox (living up to my signature).

So, what main are you dedicated to and how strong is that dedication?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Mega man.

Very dedicated to him. There aren't any characters that play quite like he does. Sometimes I think I need a secondary for tough matchups and choose a different character. Then after getting rekt I realize that I cannot ever play another character.

*OCTO*

Smash Rookie
NNID
OctopusCrime
3DS FC
3437-3048-3276
I'm in camp "I'm dedicated to my main but as soon as Bayonetta is released I'm going to be second guessing a few things"

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
If customs are on and I'm feeling serious, then :4zelda: is the only one I'm confident with, and occasionally :4robinm:/:4robinf:.

But usually playing the same characters gets boring so sometimes I practice with my secondaries and pockets as well. The list is kinda long and not really set in stone yet, since experimenting with each character's play-styles take time.

If customs are off, then I'd either choose :4feroy: or :4lucas:, since they don't have custom moves. :p
But first and foremost I'll go cry in a corner and throw a very noisy temper tantrum since I love customs.

If it's just a very casual match with friends, then sometimes I slack off and try :4wario: or :4gaw: because why not!

El_Mariachi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Marvinho
Definitely dedicated to Falcon. Saw what he could do in the early 3DS days and I loved it. Plus he helped me transition from Melee to Sm4sh.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I'll admit: if I want to play seriously, play to actually win, I always pick Mario. I don't think twice, I don't ask questions, I don't consider anybody else: I go straight to him.
But... obviously. I've been a solo Mario main ever since I started playing Smash 8 freaking years ago. I am more than sick of him, which is why I try to use anything but him when I don't have my tryhard panties on. I mostly use Sheik, Lucina, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff and sometimes Zelda when I'm not using Mario.

Last edited:

NEStalgia314

Smash Rookie
Extremely, I've played Ganon in 85% of online matches. There isn't another character whose moveset, weaknesses, and potential that I understand more. He's kinda the epitome of what I like to play in games. I really only play tanks in MMOs, and Ganon fits that type of character relatively well. He's huge, (relatively) hard to KO, and hits like a truck.

I never really cared much for a ton of aerial combos before I really got into Sm4sh, so when I started with Ganon, his complete disregard for offstage play save for the odd disrespectful DAir really made me enjoy his playstyle. The fact that some of his moves only have very situational uses (Neutral B and UTilt) was really helpful in the beginning. He is also a blank canvas, there are only a few true combos at his disposal and I feel that his meta is pretty underdeveloped, which makes me feel like a pioneer as a Ganon main.

Also, his location on the tier list and the general disregard for him is another reason I greatly enjoy him as a character. Every time I play with him, I try to demonstrate the potential low tiers have, even if they are left for dead by most of the community.

Overall, Ganon is a great character, and I'm glad he's my main.

Sk8r151

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProfessorSanchez
I used to play Shulk but then gave up on him because of his god awful landing lag, but now i've switched to my secondary who is now my main Robin. I'm solo maining Robin until Kamui comes out because I love the fire emblem series :3 Will i ever drop Robin? Possibly but not anytime soon, im pretty set on maining her but who knows the future could change

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
I am very dedicated to Sonic. He is the only character I have mastered fully and the only one I seem to be able to win with. I picked him up from day one and always used him. Wouldn't need anyone else anyway imo.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I play Pit in the vast majority of my matches, both competitively and for fun, and I consider myself a dedicated Pit main through and through.

That said, I do dabble in other characters. As much as I love Pit, I'd find it very boring to play just one character in every single game - sometimes I just need to have fun with somebody else, and being able to play other characters helps me understand different playstyles. I may not play them in tournament matches (except for very cheeky counterpicks), but it's good to know I have something to fall back on if I need it. Diversity is, after all, the spice of life!

EDIT: To clarify, because I realise the formatting here isn't very good, I am a Pit main that keeps other pocket characters just for fun (or maybe to counterpick people I know that don't like fighting the character). I was a Pit main since day one and a Pit main I shall be 'til the end.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mostly dabble between Marth, Link, Ness, Cloud, Roy, and sometimes Lucina, Robin, Ike, Shulk, Dark Pit (and possibly Corrin when he/she comes out).
I can't use just only one character as I find that boring and repetitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That reminds me, my brother (one of the best players in my scene by a fair bit; he's been commended by PR players and everything) hates playing just one character. He can't do it. He's decided that, for the foreseeable future, he won't even play one character in tournaments: he's going to "main" the random button and see where that gets him.

He's a very talented player, but he has no interest in winning for its own sake; he plays for love of the game, not to be the best. He's very entertaining to watch for that reason.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I would consider taking up Wolf if he had come out (cringing teeth).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm a huge character loyalist and I have been since the first game. I've stuck with Mario and Fox since the original and Ness since Melee. Most of my mains usually carry from game to game and I don't entirely drop characters very often. Because I usually seriously play with 4-6 characters and dabble with most of the cast, I do this to learn matchups and try to contribute to the community this way because I'm not a high level competitor thanks to my location.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
I been dedicated with :4tlink: since Brawl and that has never changed even though there were other :4tlink: mains that werent satisfied with him in smash 4 compared to brawl

Kritzkrieg

Smash Cadet
Not much, I don't really have a main. I just pick from a pool of :4wario2::4pacman::4duckhunt::4drmario::4luigi::4mario::4gaw::4mewtwo: everytime I play

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
I don't put a lot of stock into character loyalty, but I always seem to end up playing the same characters in each game. Been playing Ike since Brawl, Ganon since 64 (as Capt Falcon of course), and Peach since Melee, where she and Ganon were co-mains. I just seem to stick with them because their play styles really gel with my own.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've dedicated myself to maining :rosalina: since the day she was revealed for Smash and I will always main her no matter what and I will always main her in future Smash games, assuming if there will be one.

I also invested my time in playing as :4megaman:, :4link: (who's been one of my mains since Smash 64), :4marth:, :4lucina: and now :4cloud:.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Dedicated to :4zelda: since Melee, absolutely.

I'm not perfect at Smash and realize since Smash 4 that I'm still bad with placements, but overall, Zelda is THE character that I know well, and simply suit me.

I have a good feeling with Ganondorf and Robin too, but looking at my battle records...

:4ganondorf:: 532 battles
:4robinf:: 744 battles
:4zelda:: 5535 battles

There's definitely a gap between my main and the secondaries.

Last edited:

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I've mained Pit since day one of 3DS and have never considered changing. It was a perfect match, I guess.

I have been trying to pick up a secondary as well, so Pit's not the only character I play.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I've mained Mario since 64 and I'm going to continue to do so till the end of time. To compare him to my backup, Rosalina, Mario's fought in 1030 battles while Rosalina's been in 961.

D

Deleted member

I've been fully dedicated to :4dedede: since Brawl, and play all the Kirby characters in every Smash game (save for Kirby in Melee). I also main the :popo: in all the games they're in, and I main :4ness: in every Smash save for Melee where he's just a very situational pocket.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Most definitely. I loved Robin since the Day 1 release of Fire Emblem Awakening, and he would later on become my favorite videogame character of all time. I knew that he would be my main ever since he got confirmed for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Though, while I do get discouraged by other Robin mains and drop him, I always find myself picking him straight back up.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Going back to Melee, :4kirby: and :4marth:were the characters I played most frequently. The former holds a special place in my heart as my favorite character of all time, the latter was somewhat of an exotic, cool character that i grew a curious attachment to (and his playstyle just feels so damn good!) But come Brawl, I was introducing myself to the fandom and its competitive scene, so:4marth:somehow ended up being treated as my first true main out of my attachment to him, nothing more. I used to play a lot of :4metaknight:and :4pit:too, but I came to intuitively know:4pit:'s playstyle to a point where I was so confident in him that he was relegated to second (only character I beat Intense Classic with, no Continues!) Come Smash 4, I choose to be with :4robinm:out of the batch of personally-attached newcomers. Awakening was a pretty big deal, huh? Oh, morseo his playstyle and how he contrast to the foil of blue-haired swordsmen, diversifying his series' representation truer to its games.

Currently, :4robinm:and :4kirby: are the two characters I dedicate myself to up to a competitive standard. Whether the atmosphere is competitive or casual, 9 times out of 10 I'll choose either one to diligently commit to my best playstyles. Because I know their ins-and-outs intuitively enough and both occupy some very tender heartspace where I want to look good using them as a testament to how their characters have resonated with me. :4marth:still comes out as a prominent pocket pick and translates between all 3 Smash games I've played consistently, and :4kirby:does the same to a smaller extent, including bridging my Smash 64 gap if I happen to be playing it.

Realize this. With how big the roster has grown since Smash 4, there are a lot of characters who I really adore and love to play, that I'll have to put down for the sake of having a manageable stable! :4kirby:,:4marth:, and :4pit: remain mainstays, the latter two I have much history and favoritism with series-wise. But then you got :4metaknight: as my second favorite to :4kirby:, and :4dedede:can always come along too! :4robinm:is my newfound pride and joy, with :4feroy:vying to take some attention as a forgotten pal. :4lucina:'s an outstanding character who - despite my odium for her inclusion, is a bit of a guilty pleasure. :4mewtwo:is similar in regards to :4feroy:, and was quite a big deal coming into this game. :4megaman:is too damn important not to want to shrug aside. :4pacman:'s a bit like that too. Lop :4ryu: in there while you're at it. :rosalina:shacks along as my Mario sports main. Love how :4lucario:fits into this sort of weird niche reprising his series. :4villager:represents one of my favorite game series of all-time! :4falcon:makes me feel like the occasional badass in strokes of luck and hype! I never really liked:4cloud:and yet he's quite the novel character.:4corrin:and especially :4bayonetta:are too good to be true and yet they're true! I OUGHTA PLAY THEM ALL!

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
I've mained :4tlink: since I first unlocked him in Brawl and he's been my main in Brawl and Smash 4 ever since. For games he isn't there and as a pocket in Smash 4 I use :4jigglypuff: a lot and main her in 64 and Melee (:younglinkmelee: just isn't the same). I don't know how many matches I've had with them and I can't check right now, but it's probably nearing 1000 for each if I combine both 3DS and Wii U versions. For playing casually I occasionally dabble in characters like :4falcon:, :4ganondorf:, :4kirby: or :4lucas: but always stick to :4tlink: (and occasionally :4jigglypuff:) in actual matches. :4tlink: is the character I'm best with and always will be, and I don't think I'd have the same experience with Smash if he wasn't there in a potential future Smash 5.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity

Man I sometimes wonder who is my main in Smash 4... And I don't think the "Records" screen inside the Vault counts all of those For Glory matches...
Mind you: Link, Bowser, G&W, Charizard, Samus, Falcon and Greninja are there simply because I let a few people play my game when I'm at school and they choose those characters. I don't play with any of them at all.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Link since he's my all time favorite Nintendo character and because I'm a huge fan of The Legend of Zelda series.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I've always mained Yoshi.

If it's a fun match between friends though I tend to avoid him so the matches don't get stale, only breaking him out when my friends get serious.

Lapsy143

Smash Rookie
Smash 4 is my first smash game, so I don't have a dedication to a single character except Jiggs (I've locked her to doubles and casual/friendlies, but I still like to play her). Right now, I play Wario and Cloud, and I plan to stay with Wario since he fits my style of play and is just easier for me. However, Cloud seems like something I'll stick with, only time will tell!

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Though I am super hyper dedicated to Dedede I don't play him in Smash 4 cause I don't wanna mess my PM play with him. So for Smash 4 I've been playing Ludwig since day 1 and haven't considered dropping him since.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
As an answer to your question... about 70% dedication. If I had to tell you right now who I main, it would for sure be :4pacman: and :4dk:. I play both more than any others and do the best with them. I used to think that the people you see on here with 7 different mains, 13 different secondaries and a bunch of "for funsies" were pretty stupid. I mean, how could I take them seriously if they were so flippant, right? Then I chilled out and realized that they can do whatever they feel comfortable with. When I loosened my panties from riding up my *** I discovered that even though I will probably always main at least 1 of those 2, I've also grown to love :4bowser::4greninja::4kirby::4yoshi::4zelda::4metaknight::4miisword::4miigun::4shulk: just because I've found them fun enough to pick up every once in a while. And I think its helped me learn different playstyles and matchups. I would never say that I would feel comfortable with using say... :4shulk: in a really competitive setting, but it isn't always that kind of situuation, eh?

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:4link:-Have mained Link since 64 and haven't turned back since no matter how 'unviable' he is, I am the most comfortable using Link and I generally have more success with this character than any other character...
:4zss:-She was in my top three in Brawl and she turned out to be better (much better) in this game...I like Samus as well even though the more campy playstyle (and ****ty hitboxes) don't really suit my style as much as ZSS's speedy rushdown approach...plus she's fun as hell to use...
:4cloud:-as long as Cloud is in Smash he's going to be high on my most used list...since downloading him I have used him much more than both Link and ZSS, mainly because I'm trying to 'git gud' with him...but overall he's turned out to be a solid character to solidify my Top three for this game...

There are other characters like Falco, Roy, and Ike that I use on and off...but the former three are as of now going to be my dedicated mains, with Link likely always going to be number 1 overall...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
:rosalina:

My Rosalina usage drastically outranks everyone else in my copy of Smash 3DS; Mario and Yoshi are runner-ups. In fact, in Smash 3DS, it was all thanks to Rosalina that I even conquered intensity 9.0 Classic mode.

Of course, I have used the other fighters at times, but there are a couple whom I'd rather avoid using altogether.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I am extremely dedicated to my Kirby playing. I love the little guy too much, even if I know I have some top tier chars I love using and that I could be amazing with if I practiced more... I wanna win tourneys with Kirby, I wanna beat sheiks with Kirby, I wanna be recognized as "that one Kirby player".

On top of that, I love the character in playstyle, I love his games and I adore their soundtrack. It's just a match made in heaven for me bro.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I have been dedicated to maining Mii Gunner ever since I saw the moveset for Gunner on the Smashwiki. Even though I still use Pikachu, Captain Falcon, and ROB sometimes (since they are my best characters in Brawl), I put way more time into my Gunner.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4diddy:: Hell yeah day 1 main, forever the same. Still wouldn't pick another character above him. Cool as ****. It's been a rough ride tho.
:4dk::4myfriends:: Enjoying the ride, buffs have been crazy
:4ness:: Same old same old. Back Throw kills. I like that.

Khao

Smash Lord
Nah.

The game gets kinda boring if I stick to a single character. I got over 50 characters to choose from, sticking to a single one feels like an unnecesary limitation. I even get bored if I fight against the same character repeatedly, but playing one? Nyegh. I just need to change things up every now and then. I got three mains, and I can enjoy playing as the majority of the cast, so using only one characters seems like a completely alien idea. Ignoring most of the options that the game offers, it almost feels like I'm not enjoying the game to its fullest.

Not saying you're in the wrong if you only play one character or anything. You should definitely play however the **** you want. ****, stick to a single move if that's what you want. It just gets a bit boring for me to stick to one character only. There's obviously a few characters I use far more than everyone else, and a few characters I pick very rarely. I'm even sure that the number of Marth matches in my records is super disproportionate towards everyone else. But even those characters are only more frequent than others, and I can't imagine sticking to a single character even for a day, let alone through the entire game's "lifetime".

So no, I'm not dedicated. I do use my main super frequently, but I couldn't imagine myself enjoying this game if it wasn't for the wide variety of different characters to choose from.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
I've dedicated myself to maining :rosalina: since the day she was revealed for Smash and I will always main her no matter what and I will always main her in future Smash games, assuming if there will be one.
Rosalina is the only character I DESPISE in this game. There are ones I dislike fighting, and others that are just hard match up for me, but I absolutely can't STAND Rosalina. The entire idea of her makes me boil. I honestly can not understand how this character made it past conception stage. So Luma can rack up damage on the opponent, while Rosalina stands 20 miles away, clear from ANY danger....and if you hit Luma nobody takes any damage? How...just how is that even a thing? You leave yourself open and get grabbed and Luma can hit you and break the grab? How did someone play test that and go "yeah, that's good leave that in." It's essentially a 2 v 1 handicap match from the start. You're fighting 2 people at once. Yeah man, seems reasonable.

Today I just had to SD to end the game because there was no way to get back on the stage. I don't mean "it was tough, but possible", I mean there was no possible way back onto the stage. The opponent just kept hanging Luma off and knocking me back. I main Bowser, so my recovery is pretty much the same thing, the fortress upward and he's huge. Just over and over kept getting knocked away from the ledge while Rosalina stood there in the middle of the stage, miles away from any potential danger, and I literally had to SD to get out of the loop because getting on the stage wasn't even possible. If my internet wasn't junk I'd start saving these insane replays and uploading them so people could see the BS.

Don't take it personal, I'm not attacking you or anything like that, but that character is complete BS and for good reason. There's a reason why she most widely hated out of all the roster. The only way I wouldn't vote to take her out of the game completely is to have Luma and Rosalina SHARE received damage. They both share giving it, so why is the upside okay, but not the down?

Again nothing personal, just a completely OP and broken character from day 1.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Ever played any of the old games? More specifically, Melee and Brawl?
Yeah, the Ice Climbers also basically made you go 2v1. Rosalina is nothing new concept-wise in that regard. Even though the Icies work completely differently.

Top Bottom