• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how can we push the Ganon meta game

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Great post wanted.

About stages, what do you guys do when you beat a space animal on BF/YS and they ban the other? I end up playing on DL64 a bit because I hate fountain....

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
If it's Fox, I'll play him on Fountain. If it's Falco, I'll play him on Dreamland.

Fox can just straight up outrun Ganon on Dreamland cause of the extra space he gets. Maybe it's a half decent stage because Ganon lives for longer, but ultimately for me, it comes down to his options in neutral, and I feel like Ganon does a bit better vs Fox on Fountain.

Falco on the other hand is slow enough to where taking him to DL is actually not a half bad idea. You still have your platforms to get around his lasers.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I agree. Platform camping on DL64 is legit if you're good though.
Yeah, but I think it's even better on BF. Aside from what I wrote about in my post, the top platform is also higher on BF.

The best way to platform camp imo is to dash dance on the top platform and shield drop into aerials. You can also do those fakeouts I was talking about where you shield drop but double jump into a waveland.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah that's really good stuff. Ian used a fakey delayed wL after a shield drop in that gif he posted.

BF is probably Ganons best stage, I love it when people want you skip striking and go BF haha. The platform on DL64 is only like a pixel lower tho.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Yeah I noticed that.
The cool thing about wavelanding is that you are still on the ground when you are moving fast, so if someone hits you, as long as you ASDI down, you'll still be fine.
I used to waveland into people all the time the way Bizzarroflame does with the double jump wavelands. I never mess them up. But I'd get punished so much for it. So I stopped doing it. Like I rarely do it now even though I can do it really well. I guess I've made it a habit NOT to do it. But I'm now realizing that I wasn't ASDIing at all back then. Now that I'm starting to get good at incorporating ASDI into my game, I should start doing this again. Double jump waveland in at lower percents vs. characters that are susceptible to CC. If they hit you, ASDI down and punish. If they stay in their shield, grab. If they do nothing, hit them or grab. If they approach you while you're double jumping, come down with an aerial. I used to think Bizz was just ****ing around with this ****, but honestly now that I'm studying his gameplay again, it's actually a really good approach. Check out this set with him against Ken. So many examples of what you're talking about in there.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
However, if people start catching on and grabbing you while you're in the waveland lag, that can be a direct counter to wavelanding in, especially vs Marth, so it's important to space the wavelands well.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
However, if people start catching on and grabbing you while you're in the waveland lag, that can be a direct counter to wavelanding in, especially vs Marth, so it's important to space the wavelands well.
If you're close enough to them, the grab hitbox will miss. Any ideas for ways to punish the grab from a position where you'd be wavelanding at them? I was thinking maybe decreasing the distance of your waveland and then doing something after that. But I'm not sure that would work.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Yeah I noticed that.

I used to waveland into people all the time the way Bizzarroflame does with the double jump wavelands. I never mess them up. But I'd get punished so much for it. So I stopped doing it. Like I rarely do it now even though I can do it really well. I guess I've made it a habit NOT to do it. But I'm now realizing that I wasn't ASDIing at all back then. Now that I'm starting to get good at incorporating ASDI into my game, I should start doing this again. Double jump waveland in at lower percents vs. characters that are susceptible to CC. If they hit you, ASDI down and punish. If they stay in their shield, grab. If they do nothing, hit them or grab. If they approach you while you're double jumping, come down with an aerial. I used to think Bizz was just ****ing around with this ****, but honestly now that I'm studying his gameplay again, it's actually a really good approach. Check out this set with him against Ken. So many examples of what you're talking about in there.
I learned how to do the wavelands with single hops, and double jumps. The full-hop version is less punishable because you're still conserving your aerial jump. This way you can be as mobile and as aggressive as you want, and I like to use the DJ, FH, and no-impact landing timings to mix up how I leave the platform or where I go on it to make my rhythm nearly impossible to pin down in the first few games. I'm usually most dangerous when they don't pressure platforms and my wavelands enough.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If they expect you will perfect waveland toward them, you can:

1. Super short wL into uair scoop
2. Super short wL pivot bair
3. No-impact land ftilt
4. No-impact land pivot AC bair, or drift in-and-out bair
5. Tipper fair their shield out of dj (somewhat risky but the delay of the [ff or not] dj fair catches ppl who get antsy and drop their shield) or if they shield early and you can react, tomahawk.
6. Shortened wL into DD side-b if you bait something.
7. Waveland backwards
8. No-impact land usmash to jab gimmick
9. No-impact land dsmash if he hard reads the wL
10. Shortened wL to dtilt (asdi down).

Lots of options. Mixing dj wavelands and ones out of sh/fj is best.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Sometimes I try to asdi down but I'm not sure I was quick enough. How can I tell?
At low percents, you can tell that you ASDI'ed down because you instantly land. At higher percents, if you see a "missed tech" green flash of light, that means you ASDI'ed down, but you didn't tech. Seeing that green light means that if you do a rolling tech, you'll lose a lot of the knockback momentum, also known as an Amsah Tech.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
At low percents, you can tell that you ASDI'ed down because you instantly land. At higher percents, if you see a "missed tech" green flash of light, that means you ASDI'ed down, but you didn't tech. Seeing that green light means that if you do a rolling tech, you'll lose a lot of the knockback momentum, also known as an Amsah Tech.
Wait so I'll see that green flash even if I tech in place? What if I don't even leave the ground because I cc'd as well? How can I tell then?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Wait so I'll see that green flash even if I tech in place? What if I don't even leave the ground because I cc'd as well? How can I tell then?
You won't see a green flash if you tech in place of course lol. The only thing that CC does is it reduces knockback and distance traveled when you get hit by something. ASDI down is what keeps you on the ground. If you're on the ground and you're crouching and get hit by a strong move, you'll likely still see the green flash if you don't tech.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
You won't see a green flash if you tech in place of course lol. The only thing that CC does is it reduces knockback and distance traveled when you get hit by something. ASDI down is what keeps you on the ground. If you're on the ground and you're crouching and get hit by a strong move, you'll likely still see the green flash if you don't tech.
That's what I thought. Your wording made it seem like you were implying otherwise.

What I'm struggling with now is ASDIing on reaction. I use my thumb for A, so it's really hard to ASDI while I'm attacking like a lot of players already do. Especially people with claw. That **** is cray, they can pretty much always be ASDIing except when they're trying to aerial.

Superspright

Smash Lord
ASDI = Automatic smash directional influence. It's what happens after hit-stun--it's actually the easiest type of SDI to perform.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
SS I think he means specifically defensive ASDI that keeps you grounded/can give you the near instant no-impact land for a counter attack.

I sometimes hold c-down with my thumb and spam jab with my index finger if I do an accidental fsmash and an approach is incoming at low% Lol.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Oh, CC+ASDI is still fairly easily--you can even buffer the tech-roll if you get good at it. I usually hold down and input a tech between the cooldown of my moves--it works fairly well. This is obviously more effective with faster characters with smaller gaps to expose.

Last edited:

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
Wait, whats the timing of buffering a tech between the lag of your moves? I didn't know you could do that

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
No I mean inputting a tech between moves when you haven;tNo I mean inputting a tech between moves when you haven't been knocked down yet so that it techs automatically if you are. At least, that's what it seems like SS is saying. I didn't know that was possible. Am I reading it wrong or is it as simple as pressing L or R and holding down before you get hit/out of lag.

Superspright

Smash Lord
No I mean inputting a tech between moves when you haven;tNo I mean inputting a tech between moves when you haven't been knocked down yet so that it techs automatically if you are. At least, that's what it seems like SS is saying. I didn't know that was possible. Am I reading it wrong or is it as simple as pressing L or R and holding down before you get hit/out of lag.
Each time you input a tech (press R/L) you will tech a surface within 20 frames (1/3 of a second). After you do this though you close the opportunity to tech for 40 frames following the 20 frames I spoke of earlier for a total of 60 frames or one second. So after you input a tech you can tech within a 1/3 of a second afterward, but won't be able to for 2/3's of a second after that tech window closes. This is why I usually input techs when I am vulnerable, or there's a hole in my attack that I recognize can be exploited by an OoS option, or something.

Also, you CANNOT INPUT A TECH DURING HIT-STUN. Only before, or AFTER (technically the last frame of hitstun as well). Remember that.

Last edited:

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
Bumping, and throwing something in.

In any match I've seen (especially recently) liberal use of up-B in neutral catches a lot of people off-guard. It grabs out of shield, it's got that RIDICULOUS teleport frame (apparently it is an actual teleport, which means in that one frame you can't be hit away) for good spacing, and it does significant knockback to lighter characters at decent %.

Shield drop u-air is something I'm surprised I don't see very much (it was the first tech I learned).

Also, playing Ganon is very tempting to style (cough cough Bizz). Kage in particular has a pretty clean Ganon (now). Another need we have as a group is to stop worrying about style and more work on simply finishing out the stocks, not styling deaths. CG is not pretty, but incredibly effective.

Diosama

Stand User
Spacies: Master the CG, this means being able to get 0-deaths consistently and/or know when you'll flub the next grab so you can tech chase, evasiveness to avoid lazers
Marth: Spacing, waveland (w/ or w/o follow ups), tomahawks, lh up air regrab
Sheik: Don't get hit, stomp > grab > kill
Puff, Peach, Falcon: Center stage control, edgeguarding, mental relaxation
General: DI

Obviously, it's not as simple as that, but it's a place to start. I also believe we need to assess our weaknesses and turn them into our strengths

Last edited:

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this has been brought up but how viable are ALL of his moves? It seems as though not many Ganon's I see try to utilize all of his options. I'm not saying that they are the best but wouldn't improving his meta include more of a variety? For example, I personally enjoy the down smash on spacies if I throw them on a platform because it cover both sides of me as well as the entire platform but haven't seen much other practical uses for it aside from platform tech chasing given that you read their tech correctly.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
This is going to sound really lame but it's possible to time out your opponent by ledge stalling once you get the lead. 8 minutes feel eternal though.

Last edited:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Until they take ledge from you lol.
Ganon has plenty of invincible options to hit them before they steal the edge from you. Invincible up air > regrab comes to mind.

The trickiest stage to stall is yoshi's because randall and the side platforms are too close to the edge. There you can just ledge dash when they position themselves to edgehog and then gain stage control for free.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganon has plenty of invincible options to hit them before they steal the edge from you. Invincible up air > regrab comes to mind.

The trickiest stage to stall is yoshi's because randall and the side platforms are too close to the edge. There you can just ledge dash when they position themselves to edgehog and then gain stage control for free.
Ledgehop uair regrab isn't fully INV, so if they bait you, they could stomp you before you regrab.

Trust me, it's a good thought, but you're putting too much faith in it.

dorfmeister

Smash Rookie
Yeah I noticed that.

I used to waveland into people all the time the way Bizzarroflame does with the double jump wavelands. I never mess them up. But I'd get punished so much for it. So I stopped doing it. Like I rarely do it now even though I can do it really well. I guess I've made it a habit NOT to do it.

I just started doing mixups with the length of the waveland. If you can do the perfect horizontal waveland from DJ, you can definitely do the easier wavelands where you hold down at an angle which shortens your waveland distance. I still don't do that DJ waveland very much, but against people who are wary of it doing that shortened version really throws them off (also true for SH waveland).

The majority of top level ganons I see almost always do the full waveland distance, be it to recover on stage or off a platform for an aerial, but it's so predictable if the person has ganon experience. Shortening the waveland on a platform into a shield drop (into a DJ full waveland, or just dropping down ,or whatever) is a mixup I'm trying to do more also. Wavelands are so useful for ganon in neutral... they feel a lot more effective and safe than the standard "fade-away fair + jab"

I'm still a baby so I expect some ganon vets will gimme some input on this stuff (hopefully).

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You don't really have to shield drop after a short wL, you can pretty much instant drop. It feels like you can even buffer it by a few frames. It's very easy, kage has been doing it forever.

.Execute

Smash Cadet
I think side-b is a really underrated and underused move. It's a great setup tool for: Jab, DSmash, USmash, F-Tilt, D-Tilt, and all aerials.
It works well in the punish game as well. Although I am but a yungboi and have only been to a handful of tournies it has won me a majority of sets (Until I get out-teched or just straight up job for my opponent)

I've found that using side-b to punish missed techs or rollaways is good... as long as you can read/react to the DI correctly. It send your opponent up, for one, and not only that but if DI'd in the way you want/read it can lead into DSmash all aerials but mainly and optimally Bair/Fair

Don't take my word for it, though, I implore you to test it out yourself and agree/disagree with me, because I would love to expand and level-up Ganons meta just as much as the rest of you! :^)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
.Execute .Execute I side-b a lot. Not as much now, but for a long time in SFL I was overrusing it purposefully to test it thoroughly. It's good, and it can get you bodied. It gets worse as your opponent's skill level increases (doesn't work as well on top players). It's worth a try in techchase situations (cover 3 options) and great to true combo after stomp on most characters at low%. Then there's also the side-b their shield and yolo dsmash gimmick. You have to be good at detecting when they'll be surprised by it. If you know they are reading a different move and you side-b instead, there's a decent chance it'll hit. You can also get grabs with it via ASDI. Lots of moves bait brainless punish attempts and side-b is one of them. Hold down and in after you side-b and be ready to spam grab (R +A), so in case it whiffs, and they punish with aerial you can often ASDI grab them. If you see them dash and they might cross you up, switch to down and away instead.

Last edited:

CStick

Smash Lord
Ganon players need to be more lame - especially against upper-tiers. Ledge-stall, camp, be elusive, etc. etc. A lot of Ganon players are trying to push his poor neutral because they think they can just trade if it doesn't work.

The key to Ganon's meta improving is finding new ways to be patient.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Ledge stall camping is not real as ganon. You can get the ledge snagged from you super easy. And resetting invincibility requires a tight timing. It's not hard to do, but if you try to mix up the timings to throw people off, they will just start hitting you for not being invincible.

Top Bottom