• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how can samus fight a defensive player?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Um, missiles?

It's hard for Samus to be the one to attack because of her high SH, but missiles really just set up for everything. FJ/Double-Missile forces them to approach, SHFFMC helps you approach.

Edit: You also have a decent wavesmash and CC game. The real question is "how does Samus fight an extremely aggressive player?" :p

alcheato

Smash Ace
Samus' neutral air goes right through the pill spam and most of Doc's aerials and you can crouch-cancel to down-smash/down-tilt any aerials except the f-air. Missile spam when you can and jump over any missiles reflected back at you with some nairs for approaching.

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
with doc, i still spam missles. while theyre busy caping your missles, find an opening or get into better position. also missle cancel, and while he capes your missle, sh a dair or other aerial.

and against aggressive players, play like Hugs, moving around in your shield, and work your upB out of shield

Corigames

Smash Hero
When playing a campy doc who likes to cape. Charge up, don't ever shoot it, watch them cape, punish them. 4 step program to success.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
heh--face one that just runs away and lasers...<_<

re: the doc comment. Doc can also jab/f-tilt your missiles, powershield them, or n/b-air them. But lol, yeah if the person just capes, use land-canceled missiles, and then just jump, shield, whatever and keep approaching.

I'm not defensive at all though, so I may not comprehend what you mean by really -defensive

Cruise

Smash Apprentice
defensive players space themselves away from you, they usually spam projectiles at a distance while waiting for you to approach, they have shield up a lot and try to shieldgrab, a lot of rolling when you approach, etc

Mars-

Smash Champion
Missiles beat shields, as they bait them. Then you can just grab.

Capes, shines and such can be lag punished if you missile cancel.

General rule, if you can outspace a character, they can't play defencively. Marth and ganon are the only characters that can consistantly do this.

Samus1031

Smash Apprentice
what i mean by defensive is blocking alot ,sheild grabbing ,running away,and noticable
crouch cancling

Link226

Smash Ace
Grab alot dunny. Plus if you notice the CC don't go near them, try to grab them or space your ftilt, it would be stupid to go to someone who is ready to cc

Corigames

Smash Hero
If they are SUPER defensive. Try to take the first stock from them and then not loose yours for the remaining time. I did that once to a guy that just wanted to play kirby and suicide.

Flavor_Flav

Smash Journeyman
I played a Fox at FD one time who lasered ONLY until I hit 90% then spammed Usmash.. It was funny as hell, and annoying.. If you approach him, he runs across the entire level and spammed lasers and then ran across the level again and repeated it was so funny. The match took like 10 minutes (ewww). But I won :). Im just bored BTW so Im just telling a random stupid story :). Peace mah doudes!!

Namiel

Smash Cadet
Slightly antagonistic since I am not the Samus in this instance, but what would you reccomend against a defensive Link? Maybe my brother would listen to some more advice not from me. Much shield grabbing/shield spin attack and projectile barriers to damage, pressure, and limit spam... and screw with bomb recovery <3

Don't worry, he understands CC all to well, but some edge guarding tips would be nice for him too, if possible.

ssbxBacklash

Smash Apprentice
Slightly antagonistic since I am not the Samus in this instance, but what would you reccomend against a defensive Link? Maybe my brother would listen to some more advice not from me. Much shield grabbing/shield spin attack and projectile barriers to damage, pressure, and limit spam... and screw with bomb recovery <3

Don't worry, he understands CC all to well, but some edge guarding tips would be nice for him too, if possible.
I need vids....

Namiel

Smash Cadet
I wish I had videos, but unfortunately don't have the equipment for it, nor the knowledge of such setup for a large part. Anyway, just some general tips was all I was asking for, and threw in the edgeguarding bit simply because he won't persue out far from or under the stage at all. If I can get videos some time, I will be sure to revisit such a topic though.

ssbxBacklash

Smash Apprentice
Samus against Defensive Link should be pretty even if you both are equal skill level... I dont play against Link anymore but Ill say what I can....
Seeing as the Link is very defensive he's probably gonna be throwin projectiles outta his a.ss nonstop, which I guess alota Link's do so w/e. Use your UpB when he is all up in your grill lol... He has to approach eventually and when/if you think he's gonna use spinattack outta shield, just kreep your shield out and grab him. And your bomb recovery shouldnt be that messed up because of a Link, its pretty easy to avoid them sorta since none of Link's projectiles send you back so you should be fine. If he shield grabs you, just DI up (I think, not sure where to DI really :S) so you dont get hit by him. Use many missles of your own since this sounds like its gonna be a massive projectile war. Missles and good judgement I guess... Not really good advice, I dont give very good advice unless I got visuals. Hope it helped a little bit though.

Top Bottom