• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how can i land that golden waft..

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
I'm having trouble landing Wafts. Are there any good set ups/ Combos to waft ? are there any general situations that you find your self able to land a waft? Ive found that throwing the bike up and using that to combo into a waft works occasionally, also fast falling off the stage while someone is recovering to waft works sometimes as well. Wario seems to rely heavily on his waft, so the fact that i can never land it puts me at a huge disadvantage. Ive been playing against more experienced players lately, so for glory waft tactics aren't really an option. Any tips on waft in general or combos/set ups would be much appreciated.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
If I throw someone out of the stage far enough, I can kind of predict where they're gonna be physical if they're trying to get back to the edge. Unless it's like Zelda who teleports so long distance. I jump to the spot where they're going to be at, and I get close but not too close and if you are fully charged the cloud should take care of itself. I also generally try to be above the opponent so the cloud will either push them down or pull them far to the right/left.

Another thing I do, is if I'm ahead and my opponent is trying to get me down to 1-1 stocks, they play ultra aggressive. They chase after me in the air etc. Well if someone knocks me into the air, and they try to aerial attack me, I jump up just enough so they miss. When they land I zoom back down over their head and go for it when they don't expect it.

I saved replays so if someone can show me how to capture it and transfer it over from the Wii U I'd upload my matches.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I tend to use it as a punish after shielding/sidestepping something or baiting an attack.

The half waft seems to retain its 3 frame start-up from Brawl, meaning you can punish practically anything with it if you're close by.

As for the fully charged waft, it's harder to connect with between the slower start-up and the obvious tell of a glowing Wario typically making your opponent go on the defensive. I'm usually only able to land it off of a read or a blocked dash attack.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I mostly use it as an edge guarding tool. If I read their recovery right, I bait an air dodge and then fart at them.

Easier said then done though. Against someone competent I normally go for half wafts when they least expect it.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble landing Wafts. Are there any good set ups/ Combos to waft ? are there any general situations that you find your self able to land a waft? Ive found that throwing the bike up and using that to combo into a waft works occasionally, also fast falling off the stage while someone is recovering to waft works sometimes as well. Wario seems to rely heavily on his waft, so the fact that i can never land it puts me at a huge disadvantage. Ive been playing against more experienced players lately, so for glory waft tactics aren't really an option. Any tips on waft in general or combos/set ups would be much appreciated.
ftilt at 120% is a fantastic kill option behind that would be bair. I chase opponents off stage sitj my bike knowing I can use another one just to put pressure on them hoping they will mess up their recovery.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
Some interesting Waft properties:

-I've heard that Fully charged Waft has superarmor, but I haven't been ballsy enough to see how well it works

-Also, I read on smash wiki that apparently you can eat the tires that explode from a bicycle, I haven't tried it yet but it could be a nice little thing to build waft charge

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
-Also, I read on smash wiki that apparently you can eat the tires that explode from a bicycle, I haven't tried it yet but it could be a nice little thing to build waft charge
You can eat your bike and it gives more waft charge, just like other projectiles. This is mentioned in the Wii U tips. However, the bike being destroyed doesn't spawn projectiles so you can't eat them.

Honestly it's easier to eat a neutral bike then immediately sideb to spawn a new one than it is to sideb on your old bike, unless you really wanna put pressure on since it's a bit faster momentum wise.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
Try baiting your opponent into something and then you WAFTTTT HIM IN DA FACE ;3

Rakurai

Smash Ace
However, the bike being destroyed doesn't spawn projectiles so you can't eat them.
The bike parts can be eaten.

It's mentioned in a tip, and it's also the only way they can even be interacted with. Probably not worth actively trying to destroy the bike for that purpose, though.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I find it pretty handy to use a spot dodge to get opponents into the perfect position for it, or else I generally use it when they're in the air right above me. It's hard to escape if they're in the air. Another good option is when they're recovering, just to give them a truly rotten day! :wario:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
After learning about the one frame vulnerability when grabbing the ledge, it's made me realize the Wario Waft could potentially be used to punish people in this situation.

While the hitbox normally lingers for too short a time to make this doable with any degree of consistency, if you can get the bike out on the edge, the sheer amount of hitlag the Waft gets from connecting with it will let you pull this off much more easily.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i feel the waft is best used as a comeback tool or a finisher....only use it if....

1.if you are about to lose and you gotta mount a comeback

or

2.the game is so close that either of you can win and timing the waft properly will reward you with the victory

but this isn't new info so i don't know why I'm saying it.....

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
If you aren't landing the Waft, then you aren't playing Wario as intended. It's probably the most important attack in his entire moveset.

Here are some of the ways I generally land it besides as an edgeguard:

- Jump at an opponent falling above you and chase them mid air. The natural reaction to someone jumping at them is to air dodge, chase that air dodge and waft the moment it ends for a Waft punish.

- Roll happy opponents who roll into you are susceptible to the Waft. Requires a good read though, you have to know they're about to roll or just have really good reflexes. Only consistently works on bad players though.

- Opponents who jump off a ledge and the go back on lose invincibility. The second they're back on, Waft them (or dsmash them if you have no charge or can kill them anyways).

- If you know a dash grab is coming, spot dodge and immediately Waft. If you're fighting Link, Robin, ZSS or other laggy grabbers you can punish their standing grabs too.

- Punish dash attacks, aerials, or anything with that leaves the opponent momentarily vulnerable but close. The trick is to never overestimate your range, but always be thinking about landing the waft. The second 1 minute ticks by, always be prepared to punish with it.

- Force an opponent to air dodge close to the ground with a fair and punish their landing with the waft.

Remember, it is VERY important that you land this move. Getting the first kill as Wario often leads to taking the entire match if you're careful. Due to his small size and high weight, Wario is one of the hardest characters in the game to KO, so if you get that early Waft lead, it can be curtains for your opponent.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Patience

A fully charged Wario Waft is so powerful that your opponent can't afford to make a single mistake. One wrong move and you can punish them with ease. Most Wario players play aggressively, but baiting your opponent into approaching you is the key behind pulling off a successful waft. Don't wait too long to use it, but don't use it unless you're 90% certain that it will land.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
I don't think anybody has said it in here, but if you waft ON your bike while it's laying around on the floor, it extends the hitbox and means there's more frames for it to hit during. A technique I've seen is popping the bike onto the stage, and then while someone is trying to recover, pick the bike up and walk off the edge. Wario tumbles and drops the bike, meaning you can then use your waft, and leave a lingering hitbox from the bike exploding that the opponent will hopefully jump into.

I haven't tried this out properly yet but I know for a fact it works. Give it a try!

Last edited:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
That's interesting. I've tried walking off the edge before, to drop the bike on recovering opponents, but discovered it sadly doesn't hit when you do that. But to see it has a potential use still is kind of interesting. I wonder how practical it actually is vs just wafting without.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
That's interesting. I've tried walking off the edge before, to drop the bike on recovering opponents, but discovered it sadly doesn't hit when you do that. But to see it has a potential use still is kind of interesting. I wonder how practical it actually is vs just wafting without.
check it out in this video;

The entire vid is good for Wario players, but the time I embedded shows what I'm talking about specifically

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I had something weird I was able to reproduce. If you pull out the bike at the right spot off the ledge, and bump the front tire into the stage, it has a chance to launch you all the way across the map. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? It happened several times during normal play so I'm sure others have seen this.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I had something weird I was able to reproduce. If you pull out the bike at the right spot off the ledge, and bump the front tire into the stage, it has a chance to launch you all the way across the map. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? It happened several times during normal play so I'm sure others have seen this.
IDK, but so many times I've pulled the bike out hit the ledge and not given a second jump... so depressing.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
check it out in this video;

The entire vid is good for Wario players, but the time I embedded shows what I'm talking about specifically
That is a really good trick. I've never thought about walking off with the bike to intercept and extend the hit box. I usually just walk off and when they go super low to use up-b I usually hit the waft on top of their head before they can press it.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Like I said I've tried coasting off the stage with the bike to gimp them. This is viable when waft isn't charged, right?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Like I said I've tried coasting off the stage with the bike to gimp them. This is viable when waft isn't charged, right?
Considering that you can just pull out a new bike if you drive it off the stage after having taken it out on the ground, it's fairly risk-free.

Extra points if you can drop a wheelie on them while they're trying to recover.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
To OP, if you go to my post here in the video thread, you can see the different variations of Wafts I hit on different parts/situations on the map.

http://smashboards.com/threads/wario-video-thread.368272/page-3#post-18447715
I have a feeling you'll get a good chuckle out of them too.

And each of those finishes suggests one thing I always tell to people... never underestimate Lord Wario's ability to come back. Just like Little Mac has a fighter's chance, never count out Wario even if he's down by a bunch of %. He just keeps coming back, and he's always got a farting chance to win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom