• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I get more than 1 CHR animation in a modeldata?

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Here's the deal. I'm working on a custom stage that will have an airship flying around in the background. This airship has two CHR animations. One moves it along a route that takes about 18,000 frames (5 minutes) to complete. The other animation does little things like fluff the sails, wiggle the oars, etc., and only takes about 600 frames (10 seconds) before it loops. If I were to combine these two animations, it would result in a bloated file size because all the keyframes for the small animation would be repeated every 600 frames for the duration of the 18,000 frames required by the large animation.

So, I need to have at least 2 separate CHR animations in the modeldata that has the airship model. Trouble is, I can't figure out how to make my stage do that. When I put in the second animation and try to load the stage, only the first animation plays. Is it because my stage goes over final? I have a theory that each stage has a set number animations it can load for each model data (and for final that number is 1 each).

Anyway I know this is a little technical, but maybe somebody in the know can tell me how to get both animations going at once.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Here's the deal. I'm working on a custom stage that will have an airship flying around in the background. This airship has two CHR animations. One moves it along a route that takes about 18,000 frames (5 minutes) to complete. The other animation does little things like fluff the sails, wiggle the oars, etc., and only takes about 600 frames (10 seconds) before it loops. If I were to combine these two animations, it would result in a bloated file size because all the keyframes for the small animation would be repeated every 600 frames for the duration of the 18,000 frames required by the large animation.

So, I need to have at least 2 separate CHR animations in the modeldata that has the airship model. Trouble is, I can't figure out how to make my stage do that. When I put in the second animation and try to load the stage, only the first animation plays. Is it because my stage goes over final? I have a theory that each stage has a set number animations it can load for each model data (and for final that number is 1 each).

Anyway I know this is a little technical, but maybe somebody in the know can tell me how to get both animations going at once.
You might have to make one animation that has both the ship moving and the sails and oars moving at the same time. Or just look at the ship in melee rainbow cruise as it does the exact same thing you mentioned. Just to see if the ship model does have 2 CHR files.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
You might have to make one animation that has both the ship moving and the sails and oars moving at the same time. Or just look at the ship in melee rainbow cruise as it does the exact same thing you mentioned. Just to see if the ship model does have 2 CHR files.
Combining the animations won't work in this case because the longer animation is so large (18,000 frames). I've already considered this option, and it just makes my file size too big. I did look at Rainbow Cruise, and it looks like it DOES combine its animations, but it can get away with that because the long animation (which moves the ship across the stage) is much shorter (about 7,000 frames).

But here's something really interesting. I was looking at Coneria, and they solve this problem in a way that would be just perfect for me if I could figure out how to do it. The airwings seem to have animations in more than one modeldata. If you look at the screenshot below, you'll see an airwing model in ModelData3, with one animation. That animation is a short one that just makes their jet engines flicker. However, in ModelData5, there is a model with a slightly different name. This model has no geometric information (it's empty except for bones). However, in the same ModelData there are a bunch of long animations *which control the airwing*. I don't know how this works, because I don't understand how the game "knows" that the model in ModelData5 is somehow linked with the model in ModelData3.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Combining the animations won't work in this case because the longer animation is so large (18,000 frames). I've already considered this option, and it just makes my file size too big. I did look at Rainbow Cruise, and it looks like it DOES combine its animations, but it can get away with that because the long animation (which moves the ship across the stage) is much shorter (about 7,000 frames).

But here's something really interesting. I was looking at Coneria, and they solve this problem in a way that would be just perfect for me if I could figure out how to do it. The airwings seem to have animations in more than one modeldata. If you look at the screenshot below, you'll see an airwing model in ModelData3, with one animation. That animation is a short one that just makes their jet engines flicker. However, in ModelData5, there is a model with a slightly different name. This model has no geometric information (it's empty except for bones). However, in the same ModelData there are a bunch of long animations *which control the airwing*. I don't know how this works, because I don't understand how the game "knows" that the model in ModelData5 is somehow linked with the model in ModelData3.

It might be that the filenames both include "StgDxCorneriaArwing" and that the game checks for strings of letters that match. I don't know though, could be some other wizardry my brain cant handle.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
It might be that the filenames both include "StgDxCorneriaArwing" and that the game checks for strings of letters that match. I don't know though, could be some other wizardry my brain cant handle.
Yeah, I'm inclined to think its wizardry. I've been experimenting and I can't figure out how to replicate it. So, I've decided to bite the bullet and combine the animations. I can conserve file space somewhat by manually cutting out the short animation whenever the airship gets kinda far away or out of sight.

Top Bottom