• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I convince my roommate input lag from TVs matter?

ikrager

Smash Cadet
So my roommate is using a Toshiba plasma screen TV to play on, and he's been playing on it for 6 months or so now. I have noticed after a few months that there is an input lag on his TV but its not something I initially noticed when we first started playing it. But I started practicing on my CRTV and I can definitely notice a lag now. My roommate is stubborn and doesn't think the input lag will effect his game but I've tried convincing him it will effect his game.

The sad part is we have two CRTVs but he just chooses to be stubborn and not believe the input lag is significant enough to effect his game.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

ThunderCat

Smash Cadet
Get better than him and wreck his ****. If he gets salty enough he'll believe anything for the win.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
http://smashboards.com/threads/code-input-delay-tester.337865/
Essentially what this does is help you determine if you have a laggy TV. Show the results of it to your roommate and hopefully he'll understand. Only downside to this though, is that you need a Homebrewed Wii. If you don't have one, it's not that hard to install and it only takes about 20-45 minutes.

If you're using a GCube, you may be out of luck unless someone can link something similar.

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
If he is competitive, try and get him on the boat by wrecking his ass.

If he's casual, just stop. It won't matter to him at all.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
It sort of depends on how much lag we're talking TBH. Some of my friends say one of my old giant CRT TV lags (we played on it for years though) and I personally never felt it. Let's say it did lag (it didn't), I mean if it was 1-2 frames a low level player like me probably wouldn't care, hell I don't care about that much lag right now (I think...). We currently play on a smaller old school CRT and honestly I can't tell the difference.

If it's like half a second though then ya that is super lame and definitely matters.

I power shielded lasers on that "laggy" CRT TV and the non laggy one, screw those guys.

Challenge him to switch playing between the 2 TVs. How long will his stubbornness keep him on his favorite TV?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
He probably won't believe anything until he plays on a low lag CRT

And if he's bad he still might not notice it :/

Last edited:

Green_Bluebird

Smash Rookie
I normally play on a small (18") flatscreen myself, and switching between it and my friend's CRT I honestly haven't been able to notice a difference. Playing on a big plasma screen, on the other hand.. Lol.

Kem0therapy

Smash Rookie
teach him to powershield, super wavedash, or any other frame perfect that requires visual cues on the crt and then move to the plasma tv and ask him to try. all the other things in this thread also would work amazingly

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Make him wavedash with Bowser. Start on the CRTV and the move on to the plasma tv.
Wavedashing doesn't really have a visual component, so he'd probably do it fine. L canceling at varying heights, power shielding, and non-sheik ledge stalls would demonstrate the difference better.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If he thinks lag doesn't matter, introduce him to netplay. Lol.

If he knows any AT's, have him practice a chaingrab on the HD tv versus a CRT. That should highlight the difference.

Last edited:
Or just get a set of RCA splitters and let him play on his TV while you play on yours. Everyone gets what they want

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Wavedashing doesn't really have a visual component, so he'd probably do it fine. L canceling at varying heights, power shielding, and non-sheik ledge stalls would demonstrate the difference better.
Actually, Bowser is very slow to jump, making wavedashing just a bit harder, as you need to imput the evade much later. So when I try to jump with just a bit of lag, I can't wavedash, it just messes up everything lol. Because Bowser then is twice as slow to jump.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Actually, Bowser is very slow to jump, making wavedashing just a bit harder, as you need to imput the evade much later. So when I try to jump with just a bit of lag, I can't wavedash, it just messes up everything lol. Because Bowser then is twice as slow to jump.
I know that there is a delay in his jump, but doing it on a CRT would be the same difficulty as doing it on an LED, since you really don't even need to look at the screen to wavedash. Its all one motion. And its not going to prove anything if he can't wavedash with bowser on both the CRT and the LED.

Top Bottom