• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How about that Tech-Chasing?

Powderfinger

Smash Rookie
Tech-Chasing seems pretty simple, right?

What do you all think about tech-chasing and how do you go about it?

When do you wait for a side step or some other defensive maneuver, and when do you try to grab?

Are you confident in your ability to grab/attack someone in their vulnerable frames, or do you suffer from mistimed attacks or poor execution?

Do you get hit by get up attacks a lot? Ever wavedash backwards, or dash dance away just to watch them roll away from you and escape?

Well, I guess you might get the picture by now. Share your tech-chasing experiences here, whether successful or not, any tips you live by that you think make you more successful or anything like that.

Note:
I am not looking for ADVICE, I am looking for DISCUSSION.

Binx

Smash Master
Tech chasing is pretty hard to do against good players, but every time I get a good one I am happy. The thing about tech chasing is that they have 4 options, no tech, tech in place, or tech roll left or right. So probably even before you throw them you will be predicting which choice they will choose, usually it's away from the edge, or wherever will be the furthest from you. So in a blind guess you have a 25% chance of being right, or maybe 33% since teching in place and no tech is about the same unless your going for grabs in which case now you are being hit by a get up attack.

My last good tech chase was my ICs vs Fox and I downthrew guessed right down threw guess right, uthrew got a dash attack into another grab down throw predicted his tech had to do 2 full wavedashes to catch him with a killing downsnash

Bailey

Smash Hero
Tech chasing is pretty hard to do against good players, but every time I get a good one I am happy. The thing about tech chasing is that they have 4 options, no tech, tech in place, or tech roll left or right. So probably even before you throw them you will be predicting which choice they will choose, usually it's away from the edge, or wherever will be the furthest from you. So in a blind guess you have a 25% chance of being right, or maybe 33% since teching in place and no tech is about the same unless your going for grabs in which case now you are being hit by a get up attack.

My last good tech chase was my ICs vs Fox and I downthrew guessed right down threw guess right, uthrew got a dash attack into another grab down throw predicted his tech had to do 2 full wavedashes to catch him with a killing downsnash
Five options man they can also get up with an attack.

That tech-chasing thing you said sounded like sex man, my best are with My Fox Down Throws, leading to an U-Smash

Levitas

the moon
You don't have to guess to tech chase. There are only three options that require immediate attention: tech in place, tech right, or tech left. In all three cases, you should be close enough to the place where they land to chase them to the farthest point, so until they land, get close to their landing point. from there, watch which way they roll, or if they just stand in place.

If they miss the tech, don't be the first one to do something (unless you're either confident that they won't react in time to gain invincibility from the get up, or it's a jab to get them to stand) The better options are to Dash Dance next to them while maintaining a safe but pressuring spacing. They have 4 options now: stand, attack, roll left, and roll right.
Since the get up animations are slower than the tech animations, all you have to do is distinguish between a get up and an attack. The rolls are like normal rolls: easy to punish by dashing over and doing your stuff. The dash dance keeps you mobile and able to move in if they do a standing animation or if they attack.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Tech-Chasing seems pretty simple, right?

When do you wait for a side step or some other defensive maneuver, and when do you try to grab?

Are you confident in your ability to grab/attack someone in their vulnerable frames, or do you suffer from mistimed attacks or poor execution?

Do you get hit by get up attacks a lot? Ever wavedash backwards, or dash dance away just to watch them roll away from you and escape?

Well, I guess you might get the picture by now. Share your tech-chasing experiences here, whether successful or not, any tips you live by that you think make you more successful or anything like that.
Be prepared for all of their options, but limit yourself to looking for the possible options they have. Have pre-determined strategies that are dependent on their actions.

The first thing you don't want to do is expect where they are going to go. If you really have no idea or for some reason aren't able to react to how they tech, sure, go for it. But most people switch it up enough to where you'll miss at least 50% of the time if you are just guessing. You don't get enough opportunities to guess.

So let's use Captain Falcon as an example.

Captain Falcon u-throws a Falco. Falco can DI, but ultimately lands in the same area. Plus, you can see his DI and know where he is going to land. You want to walk towards him slowly so that you are standing next to him when he falls.

The moment he falls, he falls into two categories: Tech, or no tech.

If you see that spark, he is going to roll left, right, or stay in place. Just watch the direction, and then run to where they will be and grab again (or, hit them with an attack). Once you see that spark, they have three, and only three, options.

If you do not see the spark, they have five options.

The first option is the getup attack. You can almost always see this coming, so all you have to do is shield, and then grab/attack out of your shield. If you are feeling fancy, you can jump over their attack and hit them with a falling aerial.

They can roll left, right, or just stand up. You can see this coming too.

Their final option is to just lay there for a long time and hope YOU do something. Many good players will do this if they miss their tech and hesitate even an instant.

You have two options when they are just laying there. You can hit them with a move to harm them (or in the case of a jab, to force them to stand up), or just wait. Eventually, they stand up automatically.

That's it.

Powderfinger

Smash Rookie
You SHOULDN'T guess. Unless your opponent rolls predictable (always techs in place first, etc etc.)

I look at tech chasing like this:

When someone is about to tech you have to react. They can tech in place, or left/right. When you see them tech you have to react quickly in order to catch them in their vulnerable frames. This is ideal, in my opinion, because you are always in control, and have punished them successfully with minimal effort. Though this is hard, cause techs have a pretty small window where characters are vulnerable but haven't regained control.

When you are too slow to react, but you try to go for the grab/smash/whatever you will find yourself falling for side steps, or getting smashed, or shined, or what have you. This is the next step in tech chasing where you have to wait for your opponent. Being able to tell when you will be able to catch them in their vulnerable frames or not is a huge asset.

Now, when your opponent doesn't tech you have even more control, as long as you are careful about what you do. If you are close enough you can just hit them as they bounce, maybe with a jab or quick smash attack. If they miss a tech and you're a good distance away they have the options of getting up normally or with an attack, and rolling left/right. Baiting a get up attack while at the same time being able to cover a roll towards or away would be ideal in this situation, but often people will act regardless of what you're doing, so this can be tricky.

Tech-chasing is both an art form and a science.

Cruise

Smash Apprentice
well i play falcon so techchasing is pretty common for me.
the thing is getting the timing down pat

@jman you make it sound too simple. it depends on the move and the character
for example, on cfalcon you would techchase a downthrow differently from a stomp

it's true that you don't have to guess though. if your reflexes are fast enough, you react to their actions instead of forcing actions, or guessing. i can't say im fast enough to purely react to other players though, and in reality no one's fast enough to do so at high level play, otherwise you'd keep seeing 0 to death techchases. there's always the option of mistakes in timing and mindgames of course.
a common techchase with captain falcon is downthrow then overB but the problem is the timing. if you wait too long to see which direction they are rolling, they can get up with the shield and stop your techchase, so in some cases you have to guess. you'll see the top falcons making wrong guessing when techchasing too, so it's not like i just suck at techchasing, its all mindgames and timing

i think it's amazing and sexy. how do you go about it? easy just run in their direction and either hit them or grab them :D

all mindgames and character dependent. i wouldn't sidestep too much on captain falcon since he has a **** sidestep. i'd definitely go for grabs more

i wouldn't call it being confident in my case, i'd call it being reckless. i get hit out of their getup attacks as much as i hit them out of it :D

i get hit by getup attacks quite a bit from mistimed and misspaced DDs but having them get away with a roll usually isnt a problem since falcons so **** fast

@ overswarm falco can also wiggle recovery and shine or nair you, so you can't just walk slowly >.>

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@ overswarm falco can also wiggle recovery and shine or nair you, so you can't just walk slowly >.>
The only time he can do that is when he could jump out of the u-throw, and thus, can't be tech chased on a reliable basis.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
A whole different branch of tech chasing is when people land on platforms...Any input on this area?
It's not that different from flatland tech chasing, but the main change is that they have less room to move when they tech, which makes them much more vulnerable. Many characters have a move that will hit the whole platform, catching the opponent no matter where he techs. Sex kicks work great, DK's charge punch can be amazing here, and many dairs have big enough hitboxes as well. If they don't tech, however, they can stop you with a get up attack. If you notice a pattern of that, try wavelanding onto the platform and immediately shielding. From there you should be in complete control, as all of their options lead into a grab or wavedash grab.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So you aren't looking for advice now, you're looking for tech chasing stories?

Here's every possible tech chase story:

I hit him with a move, he hit the ground during a tumbling animation, and he teched (to the left/right or in place), and then I hit him again.

Powderfinger

Smash Rookie
I think you misunderstand, Mr. Overswarm. I'm just looking for discussion about tech chasing. Different players will have different thoughts about it, etc etc. If it's so simple why do players all over the world miss tech chases so often then? Also, there are new players who might not understand a concept you or I find to be simple.

Your story is pretty creative and thoughtful though, so thanks for that I guess.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I think you misunderstand, Mr. Overswarm. I'm just looking for discussion about tech chasing. Different players will have different thoughts about it, etc etc. If it's so simple why do players all over the world miss tech chases so often then? Also, there are new players who might not understand a concept you or I find to be simple.

Your story is pretty creative and thoughtful though, so thanks for that I guess.
Discussion is kind of difficult when there's really no solid point to start with.... Just "tech chasing" is a little too broad. Explaining the term and giving advice is really all anybody is going to be able to do at this point. :ohwell:

Players all over the world miss tech chases due to lack of knowledge or lack of practice, and newer players might find it complicated because they don't have context to place it in, even if it is one of the simplest concepts in the game. What else do you want to talk about, specifically?

Top Bottom