• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston: Your days are numbered

G@BE

Smash Lord
Your time is up. Its your turn to take the smash scene into your own hands. For the longest time now. The Houston area soul has been based around a couple of certain people that need to be known. those people shall be known as.

Allan "TGM" Sims
Alex "Sethlon" Maguire
Gabriel "G@BE" Villarreal

If it was not for Allan half of the Houston people would never show up for tourny's. Also Allan bringing everyone to almost every tourny around the area so with that being said. Why is Houston's time coming to an end.

Alex was the main reason back in the day that everyone wanted to come and play. One by one people from the area would try and beat "The best Roy in Texas". Alex was one of the biggest reasons for everyone coming around to more tourny's.

To Me the always somewhat annoying lil kid that always had something to say. I was a person (at least i would like to think) that everyone would always tell how i was such a nice person. also with an amazing pikachu (best in Texas) All ways there to push people to get better and always helping anyone in need.

with that out of the way we are leaving and not coming back for a good while.

For one Allan will be heading out towards Dallas this year.
Alex has his eye set on Austin.
And I have my life in SA.

Without these 3 people what will be the fate of Houston. Will it die along with the people its some what started with? Or will it grow from what it has already begun. Lot has happened in the last year and Allan, Alex and I sure do not want the Houston scene losing its bright outlook already. We all have discussed this with one another. Will you guys have what it takes to keep the Houston smash alive. Allan will not be there to give anyone rides anymore. Will its just crash like it started to long ago? Its time for certain people to step up and take charge of this cuz there might not be anything left as soon as we leave. With the lack in tourny's lately the smash scene is in a slow decline. With people in the lack of having money... at a monthly. Your not playing in tourny's is another great fall.

Turn your act around Houston while you still can... or
Your all doomed

bluezaft

The True Zaft
with that out of the way we are leaving and not coming back for a good while.
Right after you said this you should have put on the One Ring and vanished, it would have been way cooler.

If TGM is coming to Dallas, we'll have to play some. So that I'll get some Marth experience for the first time in my life.

G@BE

Smash Lord
Hopefully it Will get through to some Houston people who have been avoiding playing in monthlies.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
you could just be cool like dallas and not care and let your tournament scene die

bluezaft

The True Zaft
You mean not care like Fort Worth. Dallas is all pimped out with weekly smashfests and soon-to-be-biweekly tourneys. You just choose not to go, ever.

>=P

Holy crap, you guys, I've been studying constantly since Friday afternoon.

SideEffect001

Smash Lord
Ronnie: Wow this sucks u guys cant leave im getting a car in less than a month but still i think houston smash will dizzzie. >=O

Jeremy: So long *****es! Looks like im top 5 Houston...I guess thats kind of prideful....maybe not. Anyways...don't come back now ya hear!

G@BE

Smash Lord
you could just be cool like dallas and not care and let your tournament scene die
Well im starting to agree with you after stupid posts like this
V
V
Ronnie: Wow this sucks u guys cant leave im getting a car in less than a month but still i think houston smash will dizzzie. >=O

Jeremy: So long *****es! Looks like im top 5 Houston...I guess thats kind of prideful....maybe not. Anyways...don't come back now ya hear!
sorry jeremy but even after we are gone i dont even think you could make top 5 in houston... sorry

You were not even voted in for top 10 and there is only 3 people leaving it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
..I cannot think of 10 houston players >_>....

Yay sethlons going to austin!!! woot.

benzo

Smash Rookie
my name is benzo im a tekken player turn smash and i know lots of ppl who play
i was a top player in tekken 5 and i will be atop player in smash hey any one wanna play or anything holla let me know i have a car im 26 have couple of friends who all have cars and they ok at smash the more the marrier so let me no gabe ur name sounds familiar !!! but anyway hit me on here or benqmar@yahoo.com holla 713 !!!!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
HOST2 will undoubtedly be the last major Houston Melee tournament until Brawl comes out. When Brawl does come out, there will be a large number of new (and hopefully a couple good) players. As of now, the Houston scene is pretty much dead, save for a few random smashfests. HOST2 will be the cliched last hurrah. :ohwell:

TGM

Smash Lord
Yep, about this time next year i will sign out of Houston and go to UTD for me last 2 years of college. I hope Drew or DoH or BlueZaft will still be there for me to play. And since no MAJOR tournaments happen up there except for MOAST(which is dead....maybe) i might bust out with DOST(Dallas Official Smash Tournament), but who knows......i got time to think.

And as for Houston: Host2 is in march.....GO TO IT! And if im still in Houston by september of 07 ill hold Host3(my last one). After that, who is gonna do tournies on a consistant basis?

Houston is the 4h largets city in the USA and yet we have a horrible smash scene(trust me, we do).It started with fluffy(Houston monthlies/SeX1/SeX2) and then she let it go. I picked it up and kept it going(HOST1/HOST2/maybe HOST3). Many times have a gone to a "tourney" around here and you guys all show up but then turn around and say, "nah i dont wanna pay money", so we end up just having an STD/fest thing and we have fun but no one gets better. But maybe im wrong. MAYBE things will change soon. I doubt it, but thingsCAN happen.

Look at Austin,CC,SA and Dallas. They have obviously done something right. Can Houston do that once TGM,G@be,Seth are gone? Who the F knows....

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Alright, UTD! UTD Zac, Wild Boris, and I go there. DoH lives in Fort Worth and never really comes over to Dallas, and Drew goes away for college.

Moggie

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to pick up the tourney's for you in your stead :x

Just let me know the cost of renting a place.

Oh, and you have to show up :p After HOST, I can't imagine going to a tourney and not everyone yelling "omg t3h TGM comboz !!!!1!!!!!

edit : oh and Gabe, I actually think the prospective Houston Smash scene is actually better than it was before, until you guys leave. With new kids from Katy, the Roy R guy, Jeremy Feifer (JF lols), and the worst people in our city are finally improving and becoming quite decent, it's starting to look good. About the transportation issue, most of the people in our city are underage. When they hit 17 or 18, they'll probably be able to drive too.

TGM

Smash Lord
Maybe, if you think about it, no one goes to tournies unless THE 5 main people go.

Seth
Gabe
TGM
SE
Mouf

Young Danny

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget about MLG when it comes to Texas! Communities prepare a month in advance and new smashers are found at the events.

G@BE

Smash Lord
okay mog

for one you half time don't ever want to drive to these things and end up getting TGM to come and pick you up. Another with there are people in the city that are the age to drive they just choose not to. So there is plenty of other people to come and pick others up. That is why We believe that the scene will eventually go under because there wont be anyone to get anyone around.

Xzalla

No offense but you are another big reason we don't have tourny's because you don't ever enter the monthlies we never get enough people. certain people will only join the tourny if others are joining....sooo.... yea .>.>

Apocalypse™

Smash Journeyman
Me and my cousins make up of half the people who show up for anything... it's just that we never join anything cuz we're a bunch of broke brown people.

NovA™

Smash Apprentice
TGM for president, man TGM without you everything will be torn apart and it will seem so QUIET AND effing lonely.. MAN CAN'T BELIEVE YOUR GOING , goes to the corner and cries like a little girl.

G@BE

Smash Lord
Allan, Alex and I are doing this for the better on the Houston Smash scene. We just really hope people will learn to bring money when they go places. Please to better everyone!

SideEffect001

Smash Lord
. . . .

I remember walking into my cousins corwins house on the 4th of july, 2005. I saw 2 people using Roy(seth) and Marth(gabe) playing Smash. The things they were doing boggled my mind and I thought to myself at that moment, *I will NEVER be able to beat these guys* Then I started going to a kid named "Gabe's" house who lived across the street from me almost everyday and we would play smash. He taught me alot about the game and showed me a bunch of videos of professionals playing. After a few weeks I started improving and eventually over time I got to Gabe's level. Sure we had our ups and downs but it didn't matter because the game brought us together and being in Magnolia allowed me to get good at this game. I really appreciate it. Then I went to my first tourney in Novemberish of 2005. I beat my cousin corwin to get to the next opponent who happened to be a Guy named Allan(TGM). He used marth and forward smashed a LOT. I thought, *man how can i beat this guy he is way too defensive.* Allan beat me and knocked me out of the tournament. It didn't phase me all it did was make me want to get even better.

The problem with Houston is people aren't really that serious about competitive play at all. Most of Houston thinks it's okay to come to these tournaments and just try to hang around and beg for their next. That would be fine if these were smashfests or something but they are not and I dont understand how people don't realize that.

Why would would you come to a tournament for free play? It is really stupid to waste peoples time showing up to a tourney that they took the time out of their lives to prepare and not even enter. If you can't afford $10 a month then something is wrong. And if you don't enter tournaments just because you think the competition is too stiff then you shouldn't be there in the first place. The only way to get better is playing, and entering these tournaments is a good way to start getting better.

Now some may think I am only doing this for the $$...which is partly true. I mean who wouldn't want to win over a $100 just for playing smash? I would gladly take that anyday. But I also love the fun and excitement that comes from playing this game and I want to share it with others. But, its kind of hard with the way things are going right now...you know....people not entering and stuff.

I know transportation is also a big problem. And as you all know some of the Houston smashers are a little too young to drive or just haven't gotten around to getting their licenses/cars yet. I, however am working on getting my license and by the end of this month I will almost certainly have my license. Once that happens I can give rides to a few people that cant make it to these tournaments. Hopefully other people around Houston will step up and get vehicles or work torward it.

For instance, Jake13 has a license now so maybe he can get a car and give people who can't get around as easily a ride on the west side. I can take care of the northside and some others will have to fill the rest of the gaps. Speaking of Jake13 he is supposed to start holding monthlies if im not mistaken, and this is good because if he has a permanent place we can hold these things, the better chance we have of Houston staying alive.

All in all I think Houston has way too many people for it to die....but if these people don't step up soon, you can say goodbye to Houston. But I won't let that happen.
;)

G@BE

Smash Lord
The problem with that Ronnie. Is that you strictly used to say you were only in it for the money. I dont want people worry about things like that. I want people to love the game. For heaven sakes i dont even care about the money. If you people really liked the game that much you would go to these things and still play the tourny for free. Just for the sake of seeing who is better. Not the cash

If you did just straight skill tourny i think everyone would play regardless and everyone would still get the same amount of exp.

G@BE

Smash Lord
Then show it by just loving the game. Start just doing tournys not just for money but for the fact in getting people better. I think the free tourny thing sounds like a great idea this way everyone will play and we all will still be able to improve on skill.

SideEffect001

Smash Lord
Gabe that actually is a good idea i had to think about it a bit though. But some people may not want to go for that idea. It would basically be a smashfest with a half *** tourney put together. And i dont think some people would try their hardest and if they did and lost they would just say stuff like "oh there wasn't money invloved so..." blah blah.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Gabe: I'm gonna die a little inside when you go :[

Ronnie: Don't add the "13" at the end of my name, you and I both don't like it :(

Everyone else: Yes, I will start holding monthlies and maybe even bi-weeklies if I get the place to hold them at in my neighborhood. It will cost me money to rent it and I won't ask for entry fee or any of the ish [ though donations would be amazing ;) ], I will however require that everyone who show up enter the tourney or else you cannot play...

Just kidding! I'll probably make the first one of these just a big fest with a free tourney like Gabe said to draw you all into my web of fun. And then it'll cost money after that (the tourney that is).

Oh, and I will hopefully get a car after Valentine's day, then I CAN give rides, though I WILL charge gas MONEY. CAPSSSSSS.
But yeah, I'm not some rich kid, so it'll cost money if I'm going out of my way.

<3 all you leaving.

<3<3 Gabe the most ;]

P.S. That's just too much niceness from me in one post.

Jeremy : You still aren't top ten even with these three leaving.

Ah, there, that's better.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If you people really liked the game that much you would go to these things and still play the tourny for free. Just for the sake of seeing who is better. Not the cash.
QFT.

I like playing smash just for playing smash. Despite the lack of tourney at the last smashfest, I still had fun. Why? Because I love playing the game. I'll probably never win any huge tourney since there's a ton of people better than me in Houston, and yet I still enter them. I'm entering HOST2 knowing I probably won't make it out of pools. You may ask, well then why waste your money and time? Experience and a sense of comraderie. I really do enjoy playing smash with all of you, and I truly do respect all of you.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that some people don't respect other players and trash-talk or say some pretty hurtful things behind their backs. I've heard what some people have said about me and others but I won't point fingers even though they know who they are. Insulting other people just turns them away from the game and that's somthing we're trying to AVOID. Sure, it's just a game, but I was hoping everyone can still be mature enough to show respect to a person regardless of their skill or who they are. I guess not. :ohwell:

But people can say what they want. I'll still play the game and I will still enjoy it.

And it's a little early, but to those who will be leaving soon, good luck in your endeavors and don't forget about Houston. :)

Jake: If you have monthlies or even bi-weekliess, you will be my hero forever. Free tournies in conjunction with actual prize tournies would be awesome. <3

And I have no problems giving rides to anyone in the Missouri City/Sugar Land/Southwest side of Houston. It just seems like everyone lives away from these areas. <_<

G@BE

Smash Lord
Well in all reality just tell them this.

Your playing in this free tourny. Judges your skill among the Houston area and if you don't play seriously because there is no money on the line. Your **** fault you get the spot you deserve... being last

I mean sure every once and awhile sure i could go for a money one. But free ones would be more interesting because everyone will want to join in on it. I would like for someone to hold nothing but free ones so we could have a sure big turn out every time.

SideEffect001

Smash Lord
I remember walking into my cousins corwins house on the 4th of july, 2005. I saw 2 people using Roy(seth) and Marth(gabe) playing Smash. The things they were doing boggled my mind and I thought to myself at that moment, *I will NEVER be able to beat these guys* Then I started going to a kid named "Gabe's" house who lived across the street from me almost everyday and we would play smash. He taught me alot about the game and showed me a bunch of videos of professionals playing. After a few weeks I started improving and eventually over time I got to Gabe's level. Sure we had our ups and downs but it didn't matter because the game brought us together and being in Magnolia allowed me to get good at this game. I really appreciate it. Then I went to my first tourney in Novemberish of 2005. I beat my cousin corwin to get to the next opponent who happened to be a Guy named Allan(TGM). He used marth and forward smashed a LOT. I thought, *man how can i beat this guy he is way too defensive.* Allan beat me and knocked me out of the tournament. It didn't phase me all it did was make me want to get even better.

The problem with Houston is people aren't really that serious about competitive play at all. Most of Houston thinks it's okay to come to these tournaments and just try to hang around and beg for their next. That would be fine if these were smashfests or something but they are not and I dont understand how people don't realize that.

Why would would you come to a tournament for free play? It is really stupid to waste peoples time showing up to a tourney that they took the time out of their lives to prepare and not even enter. If you can't afford $10 a month then something is wrong. And if you don't enter tournaments just because you think the competition is too stiff then you shouldn't be there in the first place. The only way to get better is playing, and entering these tournaments is a good way to start getting better.

Now some may think I am only doing this for the $$...which is partly true. I mean who wouldn't want to win over a $100 just for playing smash? I would gladly take that anyday. But I also love the fun and excitement that comes from playing this game and I want to share it with others. But, its kind of hard with the way things are going right now...you know....people not entering and stuff.

I know transportation is also a big problem. And as you all know some of the Houston smashers are a little too young to drive or just haven't gotten around to getting their licenses/cars yet. I, however am working on getting my license and by the end of this month I will almost certainly have my license. Once that happens I can give rides to a few people that cant make it to these tournaments. Hopefully other people around Houston will step up and get vehicles or work torward it.

For instance, Jake13 has a license now so maybe he can get a car and give people who can't get around as easily a ride on the west side. I can take care of the northside and some others will have to fill the rest of the gaps. Speaking of Jake13 he is supposed to start holding monthlies if im not mistaken, and this is good because if he has a permanent place we can hold these things, the better chance we have of Houston staying alive.

All in all I think Houston has way too many people for it to die....but if these people don't step up soon, you can say goodbye to Houston. But I won't let that happen.
;)
Seriously, just do this and we will be fine.

When are you guys leaving?

G@BE

Smash Lord
Do what?
You basically just wrote the same things me and Allan both did.
If you guys are serious stick to the plan. So far Jake is the only one that is thinking like me.

and you really did not tell Houston to do anything... It was just kind of a rant.

TGM

Smash Lord
If you can't afford $10 a month then something is wrong. And if you don't enter tournaments just because you think the competition is too stiff then you shouldn't be there in the first place. The only way to get better is playing, and entering these tournaments is a good way to start getting better.
I agree. show up,pay,play,get better.

SideEffect001

Smash Lord
wow gabe u didnt answer my question and u made my whole post that i thought long about seem like nothing. Great going. I pretty much gave more details and gave ideas. But im reallly sorry for my long rant...guess ill just keep to myself.

Apocalypse™

Smash Journeyman
Ronnie... your post brought a tear to my eye. :cry:
As for the whole free tourny thing.. I think Ronnie has the right idea about people not trying their hardest; so just make it less cash to enter the tourny.

goes to the corner and cries like a little girl.
You do that every time I whoop your ace; there's no need to do it now. :laugh:

Smilies are awesome.

G@BE

Smash Lord
Im sorry ronnie i did not mean to do that.

And ill probably be leaving within the next 4 months

Top Bottom