• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
I think video game creators in this day and age are really milking the market for all they can and it sucks.

The new Mario Tennis just reeks of "pay to play" after first turning it on. It's almost like they made half of a good game and just left out the menu so you could select into different/more interesting game modes. I can already see them adding new game modes with gimmicks but you have to pay 2-5$ per each one. New characters (Like my beloved Birdo)? 2-5$. The only game I felt them justified in doing this for was Smash Brothers because honestly they're adding good content and the original game came with a plethora of things to do and characters to play already.

I understand it's a market and they need to make money but how hard is it to just come out with a fantastic game from the start and make the money off of sales rather than trying to nickle and dime everyone?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
The only Nintendo game that did DLC right was Mario Kart.
Splatoon. Not all of it is disc based and none of it you have to pay for.

Wall is right though. The age of DLC is in full swing with Nintendo. There is no turning back. It's ****ty 2-5$ characters who have no depth is not worth it.

Besides the GBC version, Mario Tennis sucks.

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
I won't deny that the new Mario Tennis could be a fun party game or something to blow maybe an hour or two on every week, but it certainly doesn't have longevity with its current status.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I've been pretty accepting of Nintendo DLC so far. They are always kind of a generation behind and right now they are still reminding me of back when DLC was actually "wow, what if we could add this cool idea to the game", and it doesn't yet feel like intentionally holding things back for more money.

I think it all comes down to which DLC you actually care about. I was never a DLC supporter for any games until the Wii U. Now I have all the DLC for 3 different titles and I don't regret it. But to someone that doesn't like Kart, Smash or Hyrule Warrior, I'm sure 60-70 dollars of DLC sounds like too much for these games.

Honestly the issue is that games are becoming more and more expensive to create, but the base price of video games isn't going up. Every generation of games was getting a steady increase in AAA pricing for games until the past 9-10 years when everyone stopped at $60. So instead of selling everyone a 70-80 dollar game, they are snipping away less essential pieces to nickel and dime those who want it enough.

Then you have the games that are worth like 30-40 dollars and come out at 60 anyway.

I'm kind of in awe of how much extra work is being done on splatoon for free. The game didn't feel quite so full on release, but keep in mind its a unique game, not some annual port like COD/Battlefield/AC. Once Splatoon 2.0 came out and we had 4 game modes, a couple of extra maps and guns, I was certain it was about time to pull out my credit card, but even the most recent announcement they still haven't asked for more money. I guess they did scoop up a good bit extra with those amiibo sales for the game, but I'm still surprised I'm not seeing some cosmetic DLC for a dollar or two.

Xyro, are you calling the Smash DLC characters not deep? They did a pretty good job with them. They are as deep as the game gets and with everyone except Mewtwo it looks like they tried to keep them faithful without being trash.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Smash is on a much different level from Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. Even from the beginning standpoints if you played 1.0 Smash Brothers compared to this game it was so much more... complete. I'm rather disappointed right now.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Smash DLC obviously good, you can choose to ignore the less important ones like Mii Costumes and stages if you want.

Mario Kart DLC really good too, though I don't own the game

Hyrule Warrior DLC was ok. Bought all of it for the $20 bundle which was a good deal since I bought the DLC late.

Fire Emblem Awakening DLC was meh since the bonus chapters mostly were just extra dialogues. I did buy the more important ones like the money, exp, limit breaker skill one.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
DLC if done correctly is good. But very rarely is it done correctly. Especially if it's pay2win. This one a major sin for any DLC.

Smash DLC is okay. A little expensive, but Nintendo knows it can make bank.

Mario Kart did a good job. Doubled the content for half the price, and it was treated as an expansion.

Can't speak for Hyrule Warriors since no experience other than the devs are notorious for DLC.

Fire Emblem embraces both good and bad. Challenge maps are fun, but pricing is a bit steep and does have pay2win with infinite exp and money.

Amiibos as a whole are for usually cosmetic stuff or modes that do not really affect anything major.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Most of it is just Mii costumes beyond stages and characters, and only a select few are actually worth it imo.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That would be one of them. Male one is better because don't have to see the Mii's face.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Luby's is kind of a ripoff. Portions too small for the price, unless you are senior. Hence why many elderly people go there.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Ladies and gentlemen, 7 days from now (aka Dec 5th aka next Saturday) players from across this great nation will be traveling to Houston for TGC 5. Dabuz, Ryo, Zenyou, Void and other great players from the Jungles of Cali, swamps of Nevada and the frozen tundra of Florida will be in attendance. This is on top of the already big list of in state power house players like GrimTurtle, MegaFox, Trela, Denti, Fliphop, Wall, Iggy, ALSM and more!

Combining what I said above with the fact that there is also a 500$ bonus to 1vs1 and a $500 bonus to 2vs2, this event will easily reach over 150 players (200? 250?). Because of this, I need your help when it comes to full setups. I need about 30 full setups to get you guys out of the venue sooner and to allow for friendlies/MMs…etc. So, whoever brings a full setup (WiiU/Tv/SSB4) that I use will not have to pay the venue fee at TGC. If you have already paid venue fee online AND you brought a full setup, I will refund you your venue fee. Please guys, I need setups more than anything.

MORE importantly, Smash United, led by Remo and Krebs, will be recording all matches at TGC 5! So keep an eye out on their channel after TGC for some SICK vids. Furthermore, Krebs, GrimTurtle as well as a few other local TOs have volunteered to help me co-TO TGC for maximum efficiency. The whole city seems to be coming together to give you the best experience possible.

Due to potentially mega high turnout, I have altered the TGC 5 schedule. Please pay attention to what follows:

Xyro arrives at venue @ 9:00am to set up (players can be here that early as well)
Official Registration/Check-in/Practice for all Smash 4 events begins @ 10:00am.
Smash 4 2vs2 normal bracket begins @ 11:30am
Smash 4 1vs1 Wave 1 of Altered Bracket Pools (1-4) begins @ 2:00pm
Smash 4 1vs1 Wave 2 of Altered Bracket Pools (5-8) begins @ 5:00pm
Finish 2vs2 bracket and both waves of pools by 7:30pm.
Top 32 Smash 4 1vs1 begins @ 8:00pm
Leave the Venue @ 1:00am

Here is an explanation of what the above means.
1. I will create a huge bracket and break it up into several mini brackets.
2. Each mini bracket that will have about 50ish players in each one.
3. Each mini bracket will have 5-7 dedicated setups.
4. Four mini brackets will play at a time. This is called a “wave.”
5. Wave 1 will go first and then Wave 2 will follow.
NOTE: When a Wave is playing, this is a chance for everyone who is NOT playing to go eat or sleep or leave the venue. Please be back at your scheduled time or you will be DQed.

Remember, I have 1 day to finish an event that will likely have over 60 teams and 200+ players for singles. Doing pools will take too long. So, assuming I have the numbers I anticipate, the schedule I listed above will be how TGC 5 is conducted. If I get substantially less than 200 people, ill change the plans and notify you the day of the event.

For more info or rules on TGC, please go to: http://smashboards.com/threads/dec-...-ryo-dabuz-scizor-and-more-houston-tx.419208/ If you have any questions, PLEASE do not wait. Ask as soon as possible. You can text me at 409-692-0697 or message me on FB or twitter ( Xyro77 Xyro77 ).

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
If you had 200 people show up for singles wouldn't the 'mini-brackets' you're making have like ~24 people in each of them? Also, if you end up doing mini-brackets, how are you determining who gets out? Is it just a Winner and Loser get out of each one to make a top 16?

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
If you had 200 people show up for singles wouldn't the 'mini-brackets' you're making have like ~24 people in each of them? Also, if you end up doing mini-brackets, how are you determining who gets out? Is it just a Winner and Loser get out of each one to make a top 16?
I'm just speculating here, but it looks like there will be 8 bracket pools, top 4 in each pool make it out to make a top 32 (likely that people in loser bracket reset to winners for top 32 bracket). I like this system better though, means pools wrap up quicker (unless they want to play out GF and LF) and bracket rematches won't happen outside of top 4 within the pool bracket anyway.

Xyro77

Houston PR will be updated THIS Thursday

Smash announcement? Ok here you go :)

Catch the final presentation dedicated to #SmashBros for #3DS & #WiiU on 12/15 at 2 p.m. PT. Ninten.do/6017BT5Cc

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Xyro plz make midgar legal from now on, this stage seems really usable and other regions will be too stubborn to actually try it and see it's not bad

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
What percent do hazards kill/how much damage do they do? If it's basically Kalos League FF-style, then no.

*Edit*
After reading the research thread where stuff can do like 20% each hit, you can get instakilled on the water part, crushed to death when the stage pulls itself back together, and some basically OHKO attacks. The materia effects basically behave like items since they don't hurt the user mostly. It makes Kalos League and stuff like Wuhu Island tame by comparison imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom