• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social House of the Belmont Clan: Simon and Richter Belmont Social Thread.

Who are you maining?

• Simon Belmont

Votes: 59 33.0%
  • Richter Belmont

Votes: 83 46.4%
  • Both since they have the same moveset.

Votes: 37 20.7%

• Total voters

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Personally I do hope that a model based on SOTN is in the game. I also wonder if Maria will be mentioned in the game. Hearing Bloody Tears made me Nostalgic as heck too. Hopefully it gets it's own song since Monster Dance isn't really that good when compared to it.
I would had loved a Maria AT. But OK with Alucard.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
Simon seems like quite a fun character to use and Richter was a nice surprise.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Ok.... for all the castlevania first timers that have some interest regarding Castlevania music, i present you...
ALL of the friggin tracks we are getting. please note that while most of this tracks will be probably remixed, I still prefered to post the original version for reference (sans a couple of exceptions). we already heard some of this remixes, but honestly i don't think we have clean versions anywyas.

without further ado... let the madness begins!

NES
ARCADE
NES
SNES
ARCADE
PC ENGINE

Continue...

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
continuation...

SEGA GENESIS
PSX
GBA
PS2
NDS
PS3/Other (actually i think teh original is from teh NES but not 100% sure)

BTW, sorry for the double post.. but i literally couldn't put all teh tracks in a single post

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Thank you for compiling all this music! You are correct, Getsu Fuma is originally from a Famicom game and he appeared as DLC in Harmony of Despair with updated music.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Hey I never played a castlevania game so just wondering was Richter a good echo choice? Could have of been a better echo choice? Any villain castlevania character who could of been a echo? is my main one though.
Richter was definitely the best choice. He’s the most prominent (and popular) Belmont next to Simon and he’s probably the only one with the move set potential to be in a game like Smash.

To be honest, they could have put Richter in the game by himself and it still would have been a good choice, though I could see an argument being made for Alucard instead.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
What Castlevania game do you recommend?
Depends on what you're looking for. To be honest, outside of the 3D ones, there really isn't a BAD Castlevania game. The Classic series can be very difficult, but OH SO satisfying.

Honestly, if at all possible, I recommend the Dracula X Chronicles for PSP, as you get the best of both worlds for it. Not only is it a remake of Rondo of Blood, but it includes the original Rondo of Blood fully translated and dubbed with the english voice actors, AND also has the entirety of Symphony of the Night on it, also with updated VAs and some bonus content, such as a more faithful Maria Renard playable (She was playable in the Saturn Only version of SOTN, but played quite different from her other incarnations. I think the PSP even includes some of the exclusive areas from the Saturn version, don't quite remember.) So it gives you two of the best games of both sides of the spectrum in one package.

So Dracula X is a great way to try both ends. If you like Rondo, try the other classic games. If you like SOTN, give the DS Castlevania games a go. Portrait of Ruin being my personal favorite (and also including a mode that lets you play as Richter and Maria, fittingly enough)

If you like both, just play ALL of them, because most of em are pretty great.

Aria/Dawn of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night. If you like those you can move on to other games
Aria and Dawn are horrible starting points, imo. Not horrible games, quite the opposite, they're both fantastic, but they both really rely on you having at least a decent degree of prior knowledge of previous games in the series to get the most out of it. Especially with its twists. Not to mention it having a much different tone from the rest of the games thanks to the time period it takes place in. The Sorrow games are best saved for when you are more familiar with the rest of the series, I feel.

SOTN is helped by having played both Rondo and Castlevania 3 as well, to be fair, but I also feel it is self contained enough to be fine playing it before the others.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It doesn't. I do wish they at least kept this song though.
Ahhh dang. Well the Saturn version is a pain to obtain anyway, and has some slow down issues here and there, and is entirely Japanese, so the DXC version is probably still the best option, I feel. Even if you do miss out on the PS1 version's beautifully cheesy voice acting.

And yeah, the Maria fight on PSP was sorely lacking compared to the Saturn version, music and boss alike.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The poll on this thread needs the option 'whoever turns out to be the better character'.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ok.... for all the castlevania first timers that have some interest regarding Castlevania music, i present you...
ALL of the friggin tracks we are getting. please note that while most of this tracks will be probably remixed, I still prefered to post the original version for reference (sans a couple of exceptions). we already heard some of this remixes, but honestly i don't think we have clean versions anywyas.

without further ado... let the madness begins!

PC ENGINE

Continue...
Aw nooo, they really skipped on a very good one:

R.I.P MY HOPES AND DREAMS

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

Personally i'm missing my fave... The Sinking old Sanctuary. but is certainly undeniable that we are getting some sweet remixes out of that list... Still... BloodyTears/MonsterDance could been a little more interesteing.. say.. start bloodytears with a powerful yet soothing piano or violin arrengment, to switch to an agressive guitar and drums in monster dance. I think would been dope and represent the Day Night Cicle in Simons Quest.

On teh other hand teh "Nothing to Lose" remix is DOPE.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is Dracula's Castle technically Richter's stage and not Simon?

It looks like the one from the opening of Symphony of the Night and end of Dracula x

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice

Ahhhh I forgot about this song! Reincarnated Soul will also be missed, but I can't complain with all that is being included. I'm so happy they took music from throughout the series and not just the first games. I was worried if we got Simon it'd be a situation similar to Mega Man in sm4sh, where it's mostly just MM1-3 focus (especially 2).

They balanced the Classic with Metroidvania pretty well imo, Richter being the intermediate between the two. Sure, the bosses featured are mostly from 1 (with a couple from 2 and Rondo), but Dracula uses moves from the entire series, and we got SotN Alucard as an AT (who could potentially show up in a match twice technically, if Kid Dracula is really in the game). Seeing him use mist form for dodges is so cool, and while I definitely would have wanted him to be playable more than anyone else, I gotta say they knocked it out of the park. For me everything else they announce for the game at this point is pretty much icing on the cake.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
With the addition of Simon Belmont, we now finally have a representative from one of the most popular NES games of all time, a worthy addition. If that wasn't enough, you also got Richter, so I got a character thats familiar to me from Symphony of the Night.

Super curious to see how this character turns out, the huge range of their attacks is gonna be a big advantage to them however.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Is Dracula's Castle technically Richter's stage and not Simon?

It looks like the one from the opening of Symphony of the Night and end of Dracula x
Alucard: This castle is a creature of Chaos...

Castlevania is literally the trope namer of the Chaos architecture Trope.. so, nah, is the same location than both games, but at teh same time an amalgamation of the 2 places, and something new.

I mean... you can see the 2 pillars and 3 big bluish windows in the stage... the attention to detail is astounding...

Iridium

Smash Hero
I honestly don't see a problem using both. Having played a little bit of Castlevania myself, I can say Simon is my favorite newcomer so far. Richter is fine, but I have never played his game (I don't own the right system), and I feel people are getting . . . carried away by his looks. That won't stop me from using him too however.

D

Deleted member

>When you want to add Simon to your fangame but Sakurai beats you to it.

I guess this will make Chronicles fans happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I'm super hyped we got Richter, but Simon's where it's at for me. I love his chiselled, serious look.

A bit surprised they skipped An Empty Tome, but Twilight Stigmata will likely have elements of it. Either way, I'm happy.

D

Deleted member

EDIT: Now you can add Simon or Richter to your main icons list.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
GUESS WHO I’M MAINING?
0AC99057-41B5-4CB0-BAA0-14AF1C32325C.jpeg

Seriously one of my most hype newcomers, I always wanted him but didn’t think he had a chance because of Simon, but I’m really glad to see they could get away with pleasing fans of both!

I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned this, but I played Dracula X Chronicles on PSP so I’m very familiar with the character as well as Alucard and Maria, so needless to say he’s a very welcome addition in my book.

I very much look forward to playing him on release.
F3B63797-EC14-4985-8A60-C870B3155354.jpeg

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
So, I understand why bloody tears is paired with monster dance, but I really wish they didn't pair those songs together because bloody tears is ten million times better and it will end up like the unfounded revenge and smashing song of praise remix where I like one half and dislike the other.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
So, anyone playing/going to play some Castlevania in celebration of Simon and Richter's inclusion? I've never played Rondo of Blood before, unfortunately, so I'm gonna play it for the first time very soon. I'm also gonna go and actually complete Portrait of Ruin. I could never get into PoR much before, and I didn't even know Richter was in the game until people were talking about it after his reveal, so I'm gonna give it another go. I'd also like to play Super Castlevania 4, which I started once ages ago but never finished and have been meaning to get back to it ever since.

I also might replay Symphony of the Night again because I love it so much, haha. So happy with how much SotN love Smash is getting <3

Last edited:

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
So, anyone playing/going to play some Castlevania in celebration of Simon and Richter's inclusion? I've never played Rondo of Blood before, unfortunately, so I'm gonna play it for the first time very soon. I'm also gonna go and actually complete Portrait of Ruin. I could never get into PoR much before, and I didn't even know Richter was in the game until people were talking about it after his reveal, so I'm gonna give it another go. I'd also like to play Super Castlevania 4, which I started once ages ago but never finished and have been meaning to get back to it ever since.

I also might replay Symphony of the Night again because I love it so much, haha. So happy with how much SotN love Smash is getting <3
Same, I've never played Rondo of Blood and should do that something about that soon. There's Richter mode in SotN, I don't think I've done a proper run of that mode either. Richter mode (or rather "Richiter" mode) in Portrait of Ruin is really good if memory serves. I remember it feeling better balanced than the Julius modes in AoS/DoS (or Maxim mode).

Speaking of, I just noticed that there isn't a Harmony of Dissonance song on Dracula's Castle. That's too bad, but I can understand why they didn't. A lot of people bash the sound quality of that game, but it's still the most distinct of the GBA games to me personally. I think it's an underrated game and would have loved to see at least one of the tracks get the Smash treatment. That being said, they've done a phenomenal job with the range of games they're including. The only games that I don't see music for really are the 3D ones (barring Lament of Innocence), and the original Game Boy ones?

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Im a little salty they didn't use the far superior Kojima (no not that one) design from Castlevania Chronicles.

SimonRed.jpg Kojima_concept_simon.png Simon-profile.jpg

However I will say the redesign of the classic look IS absolutely incredible, and modernizes it perfectly. I just hope, at the very least, we get a recolor based on this design because I NEEED it.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This seems like as good of a reason as any to restart my Castlevania: Symphony of the Night playthrough! Last time, I missed several vital pieces of equipment (including a cape), several max health upgrades (there was nothing to indicate that you could break a wall by hitting it, let alone being able to break part of the floor), and I accidentally skipped an entire area (going straight from the first boss to the outer wall, making me extremely underleveled).

As a result, I'll be using a walkthrough this time; it may detract from the spirit of games like this, but when something as vital as a Heart Container equivalent requires you to do something that you'd have no reason to believe is even possible, something has to even the odds. (I followed a similar train of thought with the original Devil May Cry, and I enjoyed it much more when I actually had enough health and upgrades to survive any of the bosses)

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
With the Castlevania stage, I can finally start to lie to myself that one of my most-wanted characters--Altered Beast--is in, and has assumed the role of the castle werewolf. ;)

Attachments

D

Deleted member

Okay, question.

How do you think Simon and Richter will fare in competitive play. Im not saying which tier they would be (because i quite frankly don't care about that) but do you see them as a potential threat to the most common Smash menaces in the Competitive scene?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Okay, question.

How do you think Simon and Richter will fare in competitive play. Im not saying which tier they would be (because i quite frankly don't care about that) but do you see them as a potential threat to the most common Smash menaces in the Competitive scene?
I don't have enough details yet to really make a judgement honestly. I'll need to see his short and full hop and his aerial mobility to really tell. His aerials so far seem super good and his cross is looking like a threat if the frame data for it is correct, but his holy water is looking like absolute garbage in neutral/anywhere besides ledge, if even that. I also really need to know if they he has a good get-off-me option for close quarters cuz it's looking like if you get in on him he's gonna suffer quite a bit lol. for his size, and probably his weight, he's looking like combo food. need to know if his up b is like ryu's at all.

Judging by all of that I'd say he might struggle a bit vs a fast character like fox or sheik possibly, but this is just speculation. I can also see him just murdering sheik if she's similar to sm4sh sheik.

All of this is speculation tho so take it with a barrel not just a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Im a little salty they didn't use the far superior Kojima (no not that one) design from Castlevania Chronicles.

View attachment 157047View attachment 157048View attachment 157049

However I will say the redesign of the classic look IS absolutely incredible, and modernizes it perfectly. I just hope, at the very least, we get a recolor based on this design because I NEEED it.
Before the trailer I was hoping for different Belmont alts for Simon, or at least one for Richter. Since they're separate characters though, I'd love to see Chronicles Simon and SotN Richter as alternate costumes. As long as there are Julius and Juste colors I'll be a happy camper, though I'd love to see references to the Morris clan and a Sonia Belmont alt plz.

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
Im so excited!!!! :joyful:4 my boy Rich, for some reason had massive doubt about Castlevania x SSBU but Konami came through. Im so hype.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Okay, question.

Considering how Simon air mobility in his game is trash, (which is actually amazing in the games, since they designed the whole game around having to commit to your moves), I feel Simon mobility won't be too hot, I feel that he will play similar to Robin, which is kinda weak to pressure and rushdown, but the enemy will need to respect Simon options or be deadlocked.
Before the trailer I was hoping for different Belmont alts for Simon, or at least one for Richter. Since they're separate characters though, I'd love to see Chronicles Simon and SotN Richter as alternate costumes. As long as there are Julius and Juste colors I'll be a happy camper, though I'd love to see references to the Morris clan and a Sonia Belmont alt plz.
I would love a sotn Richter alt with deep red. COat and white hair (juste) harmony of dissonance can always get more recognition...

As for Simon, I want redhead Simon, even if is at least a recolor. Wouldn't mind classic Simon but redhead.

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
Considering how Simon air mobility in his game is trash, (which is actually amazing in the games, since they designed the whole game around having to commit to your moves), I feel Simon mobility won't be too hot, I feel that he will play similar to Robin, which is kinda weak to pressure and rushdown, but the enemy will need to respect Simon options or be deadlocked.

I would love a sotn Richter alt with deep red. COat and white hair (juste) harmony of dissonance can always get more recognition...

As for Simon, I want redhead Simon, even if is at least a recolor. Wouldn't mind classic Simon but redhead.
I think theyll be fairly strong, decent recovery from off stage, insane range but that recovery from whip isnt looking too good. Not sure though we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think theyll be fairly strong, decent recovery from off stage, insane range but that recovery from whip isnt looking too good. Not sure though we will just have to wait and see.
Yeah...we still could use more info, but so far, even if the distance he can travel recovering isn't much, the fact that up b seems to have a good hotbox, and that at least bair is getting tether doesn't seem too bad... If fair and uair also get tether, I think that he will have lots of tools to mix up his recovery as long as he keeps the second jump

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
It's too early to say, but if his tether works like how it looks (that is, he uses fair/bair/uair and not a zair), I think it'll be considerably better than most tethers. The only downside I can think of is accidentally tethering when you want to attack, though that could be remedied by tilting down after the attack comes out so there's no ledge snap. But then again this leads to the risk of fastfalling offstage. But the Belmonts seem to have the best of both worlds when it comes to tethers, since they have one for recovery but a normal grab onstage.

I do find it humorous that the uppercut is an average recovery at best, since both the uppercut and Samus' Screw Attack (which is a horrible recovery in Smash) are essentially inifinte recovery in the games they come from.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

I actually had been contemplating over playing through the series some while back after seeing all the fanart my friend had made for it (which included tons of Simon and Richter - prior to that the last game I remember playing was SoTN).

Might as well though, I have some sum of setups ready for that kind of a marathon. Just one question: what games I should try to play after SoTN? I'm quite in the dark when it comes to Post-SoTN Vanias, so it'd be nice to get some rundown on them.

D

Deleted member

Just one question: what games I should try to play after SoTN? I'm quite in the dark when it comes to Post-SoTN Vanias, so it'd be nice to get some rundown on them.
I'd recommend the following:

Aria and Dawn of Sorrow (GBA and DS, respectively; the former is also on Wii U VC)
Portrait of Ruin (DS)
Order of Ecclesia (DS)
The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare, if you still have any Wii Points left)

The GBA and DS games follow SotN's formula, while ReBirth is in the style of the pre-SotN games.

There's also the co-op multiplayer game Harmony of Despair available digitally on PS3 and Xbox 360, which is pretty decent if you got some friends to play with online (and the PS3 version added offline co-op). Then there's the Lords of Shadow reboot trilogy, which is divisive among fans for playing less like Castlevania and more like God of War. I personally enjoyed the first LoS when I played it, so maybe at least look into that.

Top Bottom