• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hot Take: Smash modding is Annoying and Unfun!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Weird how annoying Smash modding is?
I mean its suppossedly easy on Consoles but no i wont do that!
If you wanna mod on pc you need to download the smash isos which takes ages and can easily fail!
Than you need to get a mod and a savefile not to mention that modding most mods seems unnecesarry because ultimate is already a really full package!
i tried it now for the i think 7th Time yet i never get it to work while im good at modding Xenoverse 2
Edit: Yeah an uppsie Annoysing sounds like a fun word tho!

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Personally, I can see why it's incredibly annoying, though I would say it's probably quite fun. (Just for clarification, I'm not trying to "cancel" you at all, this is just my own personal take.)

Being that I live in the UK, most mods - being based on NTSC consoles, especially for games with bigger modding scenes like Brawl - aren't compatible with PAL systems, making it nearly impossible to find many mods here anyways. Now, with older consoles like the Wii, I can truthfully be fine with modding it, but modding Ultimate would be risky, simply because of how expensive a new Switch and copy of Ultimate would be, as well as your Nintendo Account being frozen and thus losing all save data (Again, I'm not exactly rich, so I can't just buy a burner Switch, and though I think consoles should be mod-friendly, that's a whole other can of worms I don't want to open right now.)

Mods like Project M that completely change a game you know to polish the system are cool, but only really if you're in the professional setting, which, well, I'm not. One thing I will say is incredibly interesting to me, though, is character mods.

Whilst skin mods can be thrown together with a few cool file names and a copy of Blender, creating characters from scratch for Smash is always something I've loved seeing - be it the return of Roy, Mewtwo and Knuckles for PM, or even more "memey" characters like Spider-Man in various mods, it's interesting to see how people implement characters into Smash in a literal sense, in a way that we'd never be able to see otherwise.

Even so, the sheer amount of work it takes to mod a system, especially more recent ones such as the Wii U or Switch, as well as the risks involved and the relative lack of "gains", makes it a little annoying to even consider. I absolutely adore the modding scene, but as a user, it's difficult for me to reasonably justify (to myself, at least,) actively downloading and using mods personally.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Personally, I can see why it's incredibly annoying, though I would say it's probably quite fun. (Just for clarification, I'm not trying to "cancel" you at all, this is just my own personal take.)

Being that I live in the UK, most mods - being based on NTSC consoles, especially for games with bigger modding scenes like Brawl - aren't compatible with PAL systems, making it nearly impossible to find many mods here anyways. Now, with older consoles like the Wii, I can truthfully be fine with modding it, but modding Ultimate would be risky, simply because of how expensive a new Switch and copy of Ultimate would be, as well as your Nintendo Account being frozen and thus losing all save data (Again, I'm not exactly rich, so I can't just buy a burner Switch, and though I think consoles should be mod-friendly, that's a whole other can of worms I don't want to open right now.)

Mods like Project M that completely change a game you know to polish the system are cool, but only really if you're in the professional setting, which, well, I'm not. One thing I will say is incredibly interesting to me, though, is character mods.

Whilst skin mods can be thrown together with a few cool file names and a copy of Blender, creating characters from scratch for Smash is always something I've loved seeing - be it the return of Roy, Mewtwo and Knuckles for PM, or even more "memey" characters like Spider-Man in various mods, it's interesting to see how people implement characters into Smash in a literal sense, in a way that we'd never be able to see otherwise.

Even so, the sheer amount of work it takes to mod a system, especially more recent ones such as the Wii U or Switch, as well as the risks involved and the relative lack of "gains", makes it a little annoying to even consider. I absolutely adore the modding scene, but as a user, it's difficult for me to reasonably justify (to myself, at least,) actively downloading and using mods personally.
Yeah same am from Germany!
i agree with basically all points!
It really annoying seeing youtubers be like MODS ARE FUN and considering how often this stuff pops up on youtube you quickly feel like youre the only one without them!

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Yeah same am from Germany!
i agree with basically all points!
It really annoying seeing youtubers be like MODS ARE FUN and considering how often this stuff pops up on youtube you quickly feel like youre the only one without them!
I agree with you there, I absolutely love the idea of mods but in practice, it's nearly impossible to practically use them, mostly because NTSC is basically the global standard given it's used in the US and Japan (albeit in the form of NTSC-J.) Even so, I would like to get more experience modding, but I don't really have the tools, money or time to do so, especially with being in college and not being particularly wealthy.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I agree with you there, I absolutely love the idea of mods but in practice, it's nearly impossible to practically use them, mostly because NTSC is basically the global standard given it's used in the US and Japan (albeit in the form of NTSC-J.) Even so, I would like to get more experience modding, but I don't really have the tools, money or time to do so, especially with being in college and not being particularly wealthy.
I can suggest Xenoverse 2 modding its easy and pretty fun (its pc/steam exclusive) and turn XV2 from a Typical Boring Dbz and movie Focused game into either a game featuring all eras of Db or whatever else you want!

Top Bottom