• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hot computer?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
my computer model is a pavilion dv74073nr entertainment notebook and it gets REALLY hot sometimes. This isn't first time I had a pavilion and I know they all seem to like to get warm (asked friends, Best Buy ect they said it's the model) but this one will get super hot really fast. I have it elevated so it can air out, and it's very new. It gets super, super hot and even makes my room stuffy just by being on for 10 mins. Are all notebooks like this because it's really starting to become really irritating. Is there something I can do? Thanks in advance.

T-block

B2B TST
How hot are we talking? Are you gaming when it gets hot? Can you download a temperature sensor utility (like SpeedFan) and let us know? It's not unheard of for laptops to reach over 80C, and there's not a whole lot you can do. You could invest in laptop coolers, but good ones tend to be pretty expensive.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
HP is notorious for overheating issues. They have really shady business practices to save themselves money. It's difficult for a consumer standing around at Best Buy to know that the computer is going to overheat. HP will often put the GPU and CPU on one heat sink, and pipe all the heat from the CPU straight over the GPU on the way to the one fan that is supposed to cool it.

I've had to have my motherboard replaced on my current Pavilion 3 times. Each time, HP lied to me about the manufacturing, lied to me about my warranty, and ripped me off on the repair. One time, they stole one of my hard drives during the repair. Each time, they refused to service my machine and hung up on me. I had to call back over and over and threaten to sue before I could get help.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy HP products ever again. They are a very shady business and do not care about the consumer at all. They make shiny looking cases and that's it.

Acer and Asus are much better manufacturers, and they take cooling their systems and overall construction much more seriously.

In the meantime, I bought a cooling pad for $40 at walmart that has worked extremely well for me, and I never separate it from my laptop ever. It's helped with the majority of my heat problems. I can't WAIT to finally retire this machine and get a new Asus G73!

inferno

EnFuego
BRoomer
My old work computer was a HP Compaq something, and it did run pretty hot. Idle that thing would spew out hot air. Which was really bad because one time I thought I had turned it off, so I shut the lid and threw it in my bookbag to go to work. By the time I got to work(hour drive) I picked up my bag and it was too hot to hold on to. I opened the thing up and the lower left hand part of the screen was black where it was so hot. I let it cool down for a good hour or so and surprisingly the screen wasn't damaged.

Now I have a HP ProBook, also a work computer. CPU temp runs at 37-40 for basic tasks. I don't play games on it, most I do is run Cubase and Reaper for recording music. If I bought one myself I'd probably get an ASUS.

P.S.
Stay away from Lenovo

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
And yeah, I'm never getting a HP again. It's awful and it can't be healthy. It starts smelling bad too- happens to my Dad's laptop as well. Also when it's hot the perfomance starts ****ing up and there are sound glitches =/

what will the download tell me?

edit: I don't game on my computer I just go to websites that are text based like forums or websites to log in for work/ check my schedule or watch vids on youtube at the most.

edit 2: k downloaded speed fan wtf this is awful

everything except hdo is 62-65 C what should I do>

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
You should buy the $40 Targus heating pad from walmart. seriously. that's the best fix.

And never buy an HP again.

62 C is WAAAAYY too hot. HP knows it. They don't care. as long as they suck you in with the shininess of their case, they've got your money. Now the pressure is on YOU to convince them to honor their warranty, and they can hang up on you SO many times and lie to you for hours and hours on the phone. they don't care, they're paying some guy in India $1.25 an hour to just say "we understand you are frustrated. you should keep your notebook device on a hard flat surface."

try this next time you call HP customer service. describe your device as a "laptop". They will go ape**** on you about how it's not supposed to ever be on your lap, and that it's a "notebook" computer, not a "laptop."

T-block

B2B TST
I think there is something wrong with your hardware if it's hitting 65 just from browsing. I've never owned an HP laptop, but it seems odd to me that you are hearing sound glitches and such just from 65. My laptop ran fine even hitting 95C (lol)

You could try getting a laptop cooler pad, and that might bring the temps down, but I think your laptop has other issues. Is it an old machine? Too lazy to look up that model.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
oh wow Dastrn, you're too real and legit. What you described is E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the **** that my family went through with Time Warner Cable from dealing with the guy from India who we could barely understand (and hung up) to having to threaten a Lawsuit for Time Warner to actually fix anything. A lil while ago I made a thread here about how our internet gets kicked/ **** performance and gaming online is unplayable. Well after threats we don't get kicked anymore but theres too many people on one wire so online gaming still isn't playable (cant even send my friend a voice message it just lags out :glare:) they said we would have to get our own wire which would cost 200 a month. **** dat **** It's fine though I'm not renewing Live anyways I don't have time to game enough for the price they are asking with my job demands.

Okay now back to my problem. Would removing programs help my hot computer? There are a few like the hp care advisor and hp media smart or some **** that I never use. I'm not tech savy but I need to try every possible thing before shelling out money or going to have to go through the calling bull**** again. I'm so sick of being jacked around by these big company names. So would removing problems help?

btw by the time my computer loads its already at 60 C.... it doesnt seem to go past 65 though. But the smell is awful and making things hot is bad for me because I'm hyper migrane prone and smells + heat will **** me.... and already has before.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's likely that running more programs in the background will increase the load on your cpu and memory, which can cause more heat. but the real heat culprit is SUPPOSED to be your graphics card. Assuming you aren't running games in the background, I don't see any reason why you should be able to reduce your heat dramatically by turning off those small programs, juri.

honestly, the best thing I ever did for this laptop was buy this targus cooling pad. I wish I had bought it 3 years ago.

I've got my next laptop picked out already. It'll be an Asus G53 or G73. Asus takes laptop cooling to a whole new level. They actually design their frames around their cooling plans, rather than vice versa. It means that with the fastest graphics card you can get on a laptop, on a 17 inch screen, with 4 gigs of ram and a blazing fast processor, i'm looking at 37 C or 87 F. That's NUTS.

You guys have to check this case out. the fans are awesome. I love their heat sink setups too. I've never had a crush on a laptop before this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uqrWyN86rI

Gea

Smash Master
Even then, idling at 65C is over twice as hot as many machines idle at on stock air cooling.

T-block

B2B TST
lol @ applying "twice as hot" to temperature in celsius =P

just get a new machine, SNO. it's probably not worth it putting money into this one.

Top Bottom