• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Homing attack

Tenki

Smash Hero
more often than not, one of the following will happen to me while using homing attack:
-I use homing attack on a non-moving character and MISS.
- - I will land next to the person in an easy-to-punish position
- I will conveniently hit the position my opponent was in... BEFORE I started using homing attack.

Rarely, while trying to gimp an off-screen opponent, homing attack goes over them, past them, and into the KO wall ¬_¬

At the moment it seems to only be useful for recovery, but usually, that leads into the first case and I get knocked out.

Is there a certain position that works better for homing attack's accuracy? Enemy above, below, horizontal? Near the edge of Homing Attack's range? Closer to Sonic? In between? Charge cancel vs full charge?

Or is it just this frustrating all the time? ¬_¬

Also, there are some rumors I've seen on say, gamefaqs, saying that you can control its path with DI. True? False?

tips/answers welcome .__.;

Browny

Smash Hater
never use it from above such that your enemy is on the ground

i always use it from below, at least that way if i miss dont hit the ground in that strange defenseless state

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
I use it anywhere, the ground and in the air. The thing is to use it when your opponents aren't expecting it. I do this, and it never fails.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah, I understand that, but there are times when the attack, by itself just fails altogether.

How does a 'homing attack' miss a stationary target?? >_>

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I understand that, but there are times when the attack, by itself just fails altogether.

How does a 'homing attack' miss a stationary target?? >_>
Maybe Sonic went too far? If his Homing Attack charges too much, that can happen, I think. Because that's what it seems to me.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
The Homing Attack targets your opponent's back (as in the side that is not facing you).

Well, with that fact in mind, you'd better use it like this:

At a lower level (opponent above):

- opponent going towards you: use it.
- opponent going away from you: don't use it.

At a higher level (opponent below):

- opponent going towards you: don't use it.
- opponent going away from you: use it.

By the way, the angle varies (seems random to me) and this is as much as you can control it, AFAIK. Of course, that changes if the opponent is going down or up, but that's pretty much logic if you know that it targets your opponent's back.

Also, keep in mind that when you're above your opponent, it's more likely that, if you hit them, you'll send them to the side you were before the Homing Attack usage (i.e.: you were on the left and opponent is on the right. The HA will knock him left, due to the fact that it hit his back).

Top Bottom