• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Home of the ROBSquad - R.O.B. Social Thread

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think we should just have items off in general. Also why don't we use the double elimination style methods most tourneys use. :p
You mean you lose a match and you're out, right (Please correct me if I'm wrong)? Well, to me, it's like you lose and all you can do afterwards is watch the rest of the tournament. I know that you can always "watch and learn", but I'm more of a person that always needs to be doing something. And this way, people can get to face a lot more people, with a wide range of playstyles. I dunno, that's just how I see it.

And don't worry much about items, if they're on, the ones that will be available will be limited and won't show up frequently, they'll probably be on medium or low.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
You mean you lose a match and you're out, right (Please correct me if I'm wrong)? Well, to me, it's like you lose and all you can do afterwards is watch the rest of the tournament. I know that you can always "watch and learn", but I'm more of a person that always needs to be doing something. And this way, people can get to face a lot more people, with a wide range of playstyles. I dunno, that's just how I see it.

And don't worry much about items, if they're on, the ones that will be available will be limited and won't show up frequently, they'll probably be on medium or low.
If you lose the set Best of 3 then you move to the losers bracket. If you are knocked out of losers then you are out of the tourney.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If you lose the set Best of 3 then you move to the losers bracket. If you are knocked out of losers then you are out of the tourney.
Is that even possible in the Tourney mode online???

Xeak

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeakSteels
Can you guys help me with the Rosalina and Ness match ups? I struggle with both of those and are looking for tips
Rosalina is really hard. Don't ever challenge her when she is below you. Just get to the ledge using Bair and Dair to mix up when and where you fall to. Be unpredictable with Gyro or she will just gravity it. That being said she is super easy to rack up damage on if you fluster her throwing it, not launching it. ROB is tall enough that a thrown gyro will hit her instead of Luma. The neutral game is all about retreating Fair pressure and projectiles. Land on her with a Nair and she will start the up throw up air strings. We can easily get Luma of stage with well spaced Nair or once it is damaged a bit dash attack. She dies extremely early to Up smash and is very easy to hit with our spike off stage. When you launch Rosalina and Luma stays still always expect the Luma to throw out an attack as soon as Rosalina is about to be out of hitstun. This means our down throw to up air is risky at higher percents.The match up is mostly about who can get the other person above them or off stage and successfully follow up while I give her an edge in the neutral game. Match up practice is the best thing you can do to get better. Get used to how Luma works and it becomes much easier to deal with.

I actually really like the Ness match up. He is really easy to wall out and space. The only trouble I have is being stage spiked by back air and the occasional time his PK fire lands. Of course if he ever gets a low percent grab we are going to eat three Fairs but I don't mind that because of everything we have over Ness. In the neutral game his Fair and PK fire are the only tools that work. PK fire usually loses to Gyro and Fair loses to our Fair and Nair if we are fast and space well. Spam gyro like crazy. All of Ness's moves are commitments. Be careful with full charge laser. Regular laser is mostly fine. Just be wary if the Ness is on point with absorb. When we are off stage a less aggressive Ness wil chase with PK Thunder. It loses to our Up air so use that to cover your recovery. An aggressive Ness will go for the Bair but in my experience Ness doesn't have the airial mobility to position before getting hit by our Up air. Up air answers all of Ness's options to edge guard. When we get to high percents he will fish for grabs. Don't give it to him. Play very safe, very campy and wait for him to become impatient. He misses a grab and he is done for. When Ness is offstage spend a little while learning how he recovers. Just shoot projectiles in the mean time. Once you know where he likes to UpB at fall with him and Bair him. If he gets PK thunder out before you get there you need to retreat. You'll probably get hit and die.

Hope some of this helps and realize this is just one person's opinion. I can provide more thoughts if you like. I love discussing match ups for ROB. Good luck!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
As a Ness player, I can confirm most of that. Although I personally don't fish for grabs when my opponent is at high percents. Some Ness people like me will just try to knock you off stage and follow up with an aerial if the boundaries are close. As well as absorb our laser, he can also hit it back at us with his bat, same goes for gyro. Also, just something of note, his double recovery if he hits the stage with his first recovery attempt. I can explain if you don't already know what I'm talking about. Do you?

Anyways, I'm not too much into the competitive scene, but I'd say that our MU against Ness is pretty even. But, that's just my opinion. And again, I haven't gotten into the competitive scene much. Starting to though.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
No. The tourney mode in Sm4sh is all messed up.
Lol, sorry it's not exactly what the competitive community wanted (I'm not saying this sarcastically). But ya, there's no way I'm able to replicate an actual tournament for you guys given the resources Smash 4 has. Sorry. Like I said, I'll probably be doing a number of tournaments. Maybe I'll experiment with the first few, see how it goes.

Also, got any tips for our friend Banjo on the R.O.B. vs. Ness MU that we haven't already stated?

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Lol, sorry it's not exactly what the competitive community wanted (I'm not saying this sarcastically). But ya, there's no way I'm able to replicate an actual tournament for you guys given the resources Smash 4 has. Sorry. Like I said, I'll probably be doing a number of tournaments. Maybe I'll experiment with the first few, see how it goes.

Also, got any tips for our friend on the R.O.B. vs. Ness MU that we haven't already stated?
You can always use Challonge.com to make a tourney bracket.
Its very organizied there. :p

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You can always use Challonge.com to make a tourney bracket.
Its very organizied there. :p
How about you tell me this stuff in the conversation instead? I'd rather not put it here, seeing as I'm not as much into the competitive stuff as most of the community.

Xeak

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeakSteels
It's true, a better Ness won't zero in on the grab. I've found that most of them do eventually reach the point that they desperately go into that mode though. ROB takes forever to kill. Something I did leave out is you need to respect his Up air. The four ways Ness will generally kill you are back throw, up air, back air (usually stage spiking), and PK fire into Fsmash. We get stuck in PK fire for a long time but if you get good at shielding it you can punish every time.

I do know Ness can reset his up b but I don't know the cause. I'd be happy to have it explained.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Basically, if Ness hits a wall on his first attempt to recover, he's got 40 frames to pull out another PK Thunder and double his recovery. Same goes for Lucas.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Sometimes when Arm Rotor collides with an attack the opponent can stand right in Arm Rotor afterwards without getting hit and only gets hit by the last uppercut. Has anyone else had this? As if the hitboxes just disappear.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Tournament update:

Only item that will be on is the Smash Ball, but it will be on medium or low for how often it pops up. Also, forgot to mention, but it is 3 stock.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Just a reminder to everyone that my tournament will be today at 7pm EST, and ending at 8:30pm EST.

It will be points based.
Matches are 3 stocks, time limit will be at it's max (10 minutes, though I'd rather there not be a limit)
Custom characters will not be available.
Mii Fighters will be available.
If you're somehow able to do it, you can play up to 30 matches within the tourney time limit.
Only item on will be the Smash Ball, on either medium or low rate.

Password for tournament and tournament ID # will be up sometime between 6pm EST and 7pm EST.

I look forward to facing off with everyone later today!!!

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Tournament is up! (All info. below is accurate, type the stuff exactly as it says)

Password: RnW5585

Tourney ID #: 45513793354453

Tourney Name: RnWs 1st Tourney

Good luck to everyone!!!

Oh ya, use your SB account name as your tag in battles so we can get to know everyone!!!

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ugh, if there's one move that I REALLY miss from Brawl to now, it's R.O.B.'s Back Air. So much faster in Brawl...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Got myself a new avatar, and I've got some R.O.B. pics to share

HNI_0003 (4).JPG

I really hope they fix the eye glitch soon
HNI_0006 (4).JPG
HNI_0021 (4).JPG

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Flip yes, 8-bit. I'm actually going to do something similar to you for my avatar with my mains, just haven't had the time.

DJGameGuy

Smash Rookie
NNID
DJGameGuy
Hey all, I decided to join to boards after deciding to get a little more serious with this installment of Smash. I hope to learn from all of you and, most importantly, have a good time discussing our favorite Buddy.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey all, I decided to join to boards after deciding to get a little more serious with this installment of Smash. I hope to learn from all of you and, most importantly, have a good time discussing our favorite Buddy.
Welcome to the R.O.B.Squad!!!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
8 Bit man you play other characters besides R.O.B. in tournament? I see your list of mains but only seen or heard of you playing R.O.B. in bracket.
I'm afraid you have me confused with a different @8Bitman
Its actually a complete coincidence that we have a near identical name and both main R.O.B., I got my name from a stupid character idea I had a couple of years ago about an 8-bit sprite who pulls move from a bunch of different nes games similar to Mr G&W was for the G&W.

I don't go to tourneys or play on-line due to my location and poor internet. I'm more of a casual player, although I hate that term.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I'm afraid you have me confused with a different @8Bitman
Its actually a complete coincidence that we have a near identical name and both main R.O.B., I got my name from a stupid character idea I had a couple of years ago about an 8-bit sprite who pulls move from a bunch of different nes games similar to Mr G&W was for the G&W.

I don't go to tourneys or play on-line due to my location and poor internet. I'm more of a casual player, although I hate that term.
Oooh lol my bad yea you have the same name as the Florida R.O.B main haha.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Every Mario Maker costume
God damn it, they couldn't even give Shulk an English voice yet they still used the NES R.O.B. over the Famicom R.O.B. they could have at least given us both since Yoshi has multiple costumes for his yarns and freaking Isabelle has two of them. Stupid dumb dog, there's too much Animal Crossing.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I mean...it isn't in an English version of the game. Though I'm only assuming that since the title is in Spanish. I would think Shulk would have an English VA, and that R.O.B. does have a Famicom colored version. There's just no way to tell based on what this video shows.

But I absolutely love how my mains look in this. I'll consider getting it.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I mean...it isn't in an English version of the game. Though I'm only assuming that since the title is in Spanish. I would think Shulk would have an English VA, and that R.O.B. does have a Famicom colored version. There's just no way to tell based on what this video shows.

But I absolutely love how my mains look in this. I'll consider getting it.
Sorry, but we have seen Shulk in other English versions, he still has his Japanese voice.

It would make no sense for R.O.B. to have a Famicom colour in some versions but not the spanish version of all games which is just the Pal version I assume. Also we know there are only 100 costumes so there isn't room for it.

Sorry. Unfortunately it isn't happening, except maybe in the Japanese version.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hype train is dead. Again.

Nintendo just had to change his default costume, didn't they? :(

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
OMG can we talk about how R.O.B.'s Mario Maker crouch is actually adorable?

Using the booster when he jumps is a nice touch, too.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Oh geez. Now he really does look like WALL-E...

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
It's official, @Mister Eric has dropped Rob.

From his Twitter, translated below. Picture proof is attached

"Don't worry, my Rob is going away"

this is a joke

Attachments

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Went mostly R.O.B. at PAX and ended up taking top 10.
I hope I've done the robot family proud for having just picked him back up for this game.
Not sure what I am going to do with him, but I've decided to drop Mii as a main because all the stupid scrubby people killing this game for me banning my main character for no sound reason. It actually just makes me want to play top-tiers (sorry, R.O.B.) and let them know they're pushing for that kind of meta game banning characters that could add much more fun and enjoyment as well as diversity to the metagame.

9th place for R.O.B. at a major though; I hope my semi-return helped the squad at least in some part.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Debating on getting a R.O.B. amiibo. I had the chance to preorder a bundle of amiibos which were Duck Hunt, G&W and R.O.B. but I passed since they have no foreseeable use outside of Smash and Mario Maker and I'm not much of a collector but by Christmas I'm going to have an amiibo for 5 of my 6 best characters (:4kirby::4myfriends::4ganondorf::4metaknight::4dedede:) and R.O.B. will be the only one left out. Heck, I only plan on getting Ganon because he's one of my best in Smash so may as well do the same for R.O.B. Probably going to get the American one since it's easier to get and I prefer it over the Japanese one.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Debating on getting a R.O.B. amiibo. I had the chance to preorder a bundle of amiibos which were Duck Hunt, G&W and R.O.B. but I passed since they have no foreseeable use outside of Smash and Mario Maker and I'm not much of a collector but by Christmas I'm going to have an amiibo for 5 of my 6 best characters (:4kirby::4myfriends::4ganondorf::4metaknight::4dedede:) and R.O.B. will be the only one left out. Heck, I only plan on getting Ganon because he's one of my best in Smash so may as well do the same for R.O.B. Probably going to get the American one since it's easier to get and I prefer it over the Japanese one.
^ whatacasualFamicomisthemasterraceROB : p

Top Bottom