• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hollow Knight's Hornet Strikes Hard! Support for a new Indie rep!

Should Hornet be added to Smash Bros.?

• Total voters

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Working my way through my Switch backlog, I'm having trouble with getting into Hollow Knight. I'm on the Greenpath area, and compared to other indie Metroidvanias like Guacamelee or Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, I find that I'm lacking defensive/mobility options. It doesn't help that an enemy that I just encountered as a mini-boss became a normal enemy in the very next room (a large green knight with a sword and shield), and the room where it's a normal enemy has you fighting it in a much smaller space than the mini-boss fight on top of that.

Is there something on the map that tells me where upgrades are, or something else that I should be keeping an eye out for on the map? Or is there a dedicated dodge button that I've forgotten about? It's been a while since I started playing it, so not everything's come back to me.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I can see Hornet easily as a fighter, but Knight as a Mii sword fighter myself.

But with how much Nintendo is pushing Silksong, even mentioning it as a top nintendo game to look for this year... yeah I can see Hornet appearing.

I do wonder though. Hornet getting in may make people think its just a promotional pic like Byleth, but would people be as upset by that for her ?
Some people would be, as they would think 'It's another swordfighter' or 'It's not the Knight'. I mean people being upset by DLCs is inevitable so expect that amount of salt, although not as close as Byleth. Mostly I think people would be surprised since she is an indie character.

Working my way through my Switch backlog, I'm having trouble with getting into Hollow Knight. I'm on the Greenpath area, and compared to other indie Metroidvanias like Guacamelee or Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, I find that I'm lacking defensive/mobility options. It doesn't help that an enemy that I just encountered as a mini-boss became a normal enemy in the very next room (a large green knight with a sword and shield), and the room where it's a normal enemy has you fighting it in a much smaller space than the mini-boss fight on top of that.

Is there something on the map that tells me where upgrades are, or something else that I should be keeping an eye out for on the map? Or is there a dedicated dodge button that I've forgotten about? It's been a while since I started playing it, so not everything's come back to me.
Some things you can buy from Iselda tells where the Shops and benches are if you visited them before. I suspect you already have Wayward Compass.
Also defeating Hornet in Greenpath gives you dash ability.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Some things you can buy from Iselda tells where the Shops and benches are if you visited them before. I suspect you already have Wayward Compass.
Also defeating Hornet in Greenpath gives you dash ability.
I do have the thing that lets me know where benches are, and I think I also have the thing for shops. Not sure where Hornet is, but that's good to know - my big issue when fighting the shield guy is that I find it hard to get close to them, attack, and get away before they can counter, and hopefully a dash helps with that.

Also, if you want to quote multiple people at once, you can either use the +Quote button (next to reply) or edit the quote into your first post, so you can avoid double-posting. I merged the posts together this time, though double posting is considered a light form of spam.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
If we are getting an assist trophy what do you think about this guy?
He was shown in the trailer, in the 'New Legends' section.
20200128_174848.jpg

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, which indie character can enter now when sans and cuphead are disconfirmed?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Honestly, which indie character can enter now when sans and cuphead are disconfirmed?
Hornet, Knight, Quote, Reimu, Drifter.... and I'm out of ideas. Maybe the Celeste girl but I don't think she has that much of a moveset.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I have yet to play the game yet, but Nintendo really does seem to be promoting Hollow Knight quite a bit, Silksong being listed as a major release and getting released in the Chinese market for Switch.

I don't know if it's enough to get a Hollow Knight character playable in Smash, since other big indie stars have been made Mii Costumes or other roles, but I'd be very surprised if Hollow Knight doesn't get some sort of content in Smash by the end of it's development.

That said, if we do get a Hallow Knight character as a Mii costume, what song would y'all want to be the song bundled with them?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I have yet to play the game yet, but Nintendo really does seem to be promoting Hollow Knight quite a bit, Silksong being listed as a major release and getting released in the Chinese market for Switch.

I don't know if it's enough to get a Hollow Knight character playable in Smash, since other big indie stars have been made Mii Costumes or other roles, but I'd be very surprised if Hollow Knight doesn't get some sort of content in Smash by the end of it's development.

That said, if we do get a Hallow Knight character as a Mii costume, what song would y'all want to be the song bundled with them?
YES A PERSON
For the song, I think Sealed Vessel or Hornet.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I thought y'all might like this

The art is by @lubellide00 on Twitter, here's the rest of Ultimate's roster in Hollow Knight form
edit: here's a Hornet IconView attachment 262686
oh yes, ive seen those about they are pretty cool, in fact id say that terry is cooler than the actual terry, but thats just me

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wish more people posted here.
Once we get more info on silksong i think this place will liven up. Hopefully its soon, if not this week with that rumored direct then in march in the rumored indie direct

QQS

Smash Lord
I totally support and would love to see Hollow Knight joining the battle!

zferolie

Smash Hero
https://twitter.com/jeffgrubb/status/1237525608503996417?s=21

Update: Just got retweeted, if he is right then I guess we know Nintendo's lineup for March.
Looking very likely we will get an nindie showcase next week. Maybe finally more infor and release date on Silksong?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Looking very likely we will get an nindie showcase next week. Maybe finally more infor and release date on Silksong?
Hopefully we can. And if we don't, we might get one in the general direct.
Also, do you think Hornet will be a good pass-starter?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hopefully we can. And if we don't, we might get one in the general direct.
Also, do you think Hornet will be a good pass-starter?
If I wasn't so sure shantae was gonna be the western indie rep, I would say Hornet was the next most likely.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man still no silksong news. I thought for sure indie world would have something about this game.... whats going on?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I kind of wished we get one in a general direct, since then there's more chance for a smash reveal

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Screen-Shot-2019-08-27-at-2.13.10-PM-1024x518.png

I feel like we forgot about crests. That might do something.
Sorry about doubleposting, but not much people post here.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I check here occasionally but there isn't much to talk about until we have more informations about Silksong...

Some months ago I got the physical version of Hollow Knight for Switch that includes all the DLCs (I formerly played it on PC), but I didn't start it yet because I've other stuff to play (I'm waiting for a better moment because I want to do a full immersion in the game when I will play it).

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I hope we will see a bit more of Silksong in the next Direct. Not really surprised we didn't see it in the Indie World. HK is one of the main argument for Nintendo this year. It would have take all the spotlight at Indie World.

Cee_SSB

Smash Rookie
Wow, I see that there's been a lot of support for this thread recently. I'll read through all your comments soon.
In the meantime, I'm working on re-doing the moveset, taking in ideas that I've seen from bits of gameplay I've re-watched and things that you guys have said (with better illustrations!).

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Wow, I see that there's been a lot of support for this thread recently. I'll read through all your comments soon.
In the meantime, I'm working on re-doing the moveset, taking in ideas that I've seen from bits of gameplay I've re-watched and things that you guys have said (with better illustrations!).
You're back!

Cee_SSB

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I've been pretty inactive for a while. I've been hearing a lot of chit-chat about Smash DLC and Hollow Knight on my other socials and realised that I should probably check back here. I've got plenty of new ideas though, and I'm still open to suggestions!

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Yeah, I've been pretty inactive for a while. I've been hearing a lot of chit-chat about Smash DLC and Hollow Knight on my other socials and realised that I should probably check back here. I've got plenty of new ideas though, and I'm still open to suggestions!
Maybe use tools in her moveset? Also it seems she can airdash, so that might be a gimmick, like Terry's dodge attack.

Last edited:

Cee_SSB

Smash Rookie
Maybe use tools in her moveset? Also it seems she can airdash, so that might be a gimmick, like Terry's dodge attack.
I was thinking about incorporating her Tools into a moveset, however we only know of one currenty (the throwing pin thing). I might add that as a placeholder in case we learn of anything more.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I was thinking about incorporating her Tools into a moveset, however we only know of one currenty (the throwing pin thing). I might add that as a placeholder in case we learn of anything more.
There's Pimpillo(the bomb), so maybe that can be in the moveset?
Screenshot_20200221-131156_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
For a Hollow Knight character, I'd feel the best fitting series icon would be the Crest of Hallownest AKA the save symbol
hollow_knight_hallownest_symbol_black_bg_lite.png

Also I decided to try my hand at some Hollow Knight spirit ideas and their rankings if Hornet was a character. I haven't thought of what their spirit battle would actually play yet.

The Knight ★★

Void Entity (Enhanced) ★★★

Zote the Mighty ★

Quirrel ★★

Cornifer ★

The Last Stag ★★

Grub ★

The Dreamers ★★★
latest_cb=20170415215957 (1).png

Troupe Master Grimm ★★★

The Hollow Knight ★★★★

Top Bottom