• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hobbling vs CG

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
Hobbling vs CG

can these go hand in hand because i find the hobbling easier to do rather than the cg(which i can also do but i think hobbling is just easier)

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Hobbling takes much longer. I remember some people talking about it a few months back and there were a few reasons why CG's were better but I don't remember them all.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Hobbling is...

-slower
-less efficient
-more easily mashed out of unless less buffering CGs immediately
-DIable at higher percentages
-risky when used near edges or on platforms because they could slide off or YOU could slide off
-risky because if you don't grab perfectly, Snake can pull a nade, Marth can Up-B, etc.

Don't do it often.

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
so would it be safe to say that if i dont have the correct timing for a chaingrab on a specific character, than i can use this instead?

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
id say when someone is at like 80%, theyre pretty much within killing range(Fsmash), so this would be quite useful till maybe 50%, and then follow up with some bthrow+smash(Popo to Nana) to rack up the remaining damage. and you have to also assume that this is probably being used somewhere between 30-50% give or take

im definitely working on CG though, this seems to piss people off a lot too also though, which is the best IC tactic, basic psychology

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
2/10 troll thread. >.>

Also: hobbling isn't slower (l2smashhobble), but it sure is ****ter.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
2/10 troll thread. >.>

Also: hobbling isn't slower (l2smashhobble), but it sure is ****ter.
False. It is slower. with a normal cg you can start with a dthrow or fthrow to cover up nana's lag.

Below 75% opponents can mash out before you hobble them. (If done perfectly)

It is much safer to just learn the cg, especially since any slants will **** up a hobble.

CG > Hobbling. Stop being lazy and learn the CG for heavies.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Hobble is only good for flat stages and turning your opponent around during the chain grab.

learning the other CGs is important but it's always good to have hobbling in your back pocket in case you get really nervous since it's so easy to do

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Hobble is only good for flat stages and turning your opponent around during the chain grab.

learning the other CGs is important but it's always good to have hobbling in your back pocket in case you get really nervous since it's so easy to do
I like this. You should just learn everything because that way you have the option to use everything when you need to.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion

Yes, this.

Its a good mixup and stale grab refresher, but its very situational.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Just btw, you can do hobble on slopes, but it has to be small and going down. It works on YI depending on which way you're facing.

And yeah, if you dthrow or fthrow after a smash hobble, the lag is gone.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Sorry for t3h 6 day bump topic.

You can deal more damage with hobbling by making the partner using a charged smash before your opponent even gets up and then immediately grabbed once he/she does. In other words, as Popo does an iceblock, quickly make Nana do a charged f-smash/d-smash and release it and buffer the grab.

Although CGs are more relevant at this point, because as GIMR said, just use it just incase. :> It happens to me, lol.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Isn't that just Smash hobbling?^

Random question: What do you guys use to CG Ness/Lucas? They're the only characters I can't CG right unless I hobble. .-.

Top Bottom