• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitman

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I searched the forums and couldn't find a thread for this series.

Games in Series: Hitman: Codename 47, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Hitman: Contracts, Hitman: Blood Money
Developer: IO Interactive
Publisher: Eidos

OK, assuming if none of you know nothing about the Hitman series, here's the gist.
Hitman is a stealth action game in which the protagonist Agent 47 is hired to kill targets, retreive objects, or on rare instances, rescue a VIP. The game allows you to either achieve you objectives stealthily or explosively (for a lack of a better term). All games in the series allow you to take on other people's disguises in order to access certain restricted areas or just blend in with other people.

Hitman: Codename 47

Platforms: Windows
Price: Less than $15
Rating: Mature
Release Date: November 2000

Black Waltz's rating: N/A, haven't played this yet!
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

Platforms: Windows, PS2, XBOX, Gamecube
Release Date: October 1, 2001
Black Waltz's rating: 8.5/10
Definitely one of the best in the series. From what I've heard, it improved on a lot of the bugs and glitches that were present in Codename 47. The penalty system was removed and a "tension meter" was added in; this nifty device shows you how suspicious you are when you wear a disguise, enter a restricted area, stuff like that. Unfortunately, your meter will most likely be flashing red the whole time because the AI tends to shoot at you regardless of disguise. Close proximity, running or holding a weapon whilst in disguise WILL get you shot regardless of situation. Stealth mode is kinda slow in this game, but it seems more realistic that way. The levels themselves were very worldly, ranging from Sicily to Russia and places in between. The coveted "Silent Assassin" rating is definitely worth it if you put the time into planning out your execution perfectly. And nothing feels better than filling up your storage shed with all the weapons in the game.

Hitman: Contracts

Platforms: Windows, PS2, XBOX
Release Date: April 20, 2004
Black Waltz's rating: 7/10
Meh, this game is more of an expansion of Hitman 2 with a new interface and gameplay fixes. Many levels are just repeats of the ones in Codename 47. The tone is MUCH darker and some levels are just freaking weird (especially that Meat King's Party level). You start off standing in a completely foggy and white room in a pool of blood next to a dead scientist (who will not be spoiled). Walk out of the room, BAM, four dead bodies that look exactly like you. Talk about subtle. Anyways the suspicion meter was given a fix-up, and now AI don't shoot you instantly when you're in a disguise. Graphics are better (it's always nice to see your reflection in pools of blood), more interactivity: namely jumping across balconies, etc. and the addition of storing your sniper rifle in a briefcase. Genius. Like I said, more of an expansion pack than an entirely new game.

Hitman: Blood Money

Platforms: Windows, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360
Price: Less than $20
Release Date: May 30, 2006
Black Waltz's rating: 9/10
Wow, definitely the best of the series. There are so many more features in this game. I'll list a few:
  • Notoriety System
  • Customizable Weapons
  • Witness System
  • Hand-to-hand Combat
  • Hostage Taking
  • Ability to dispose bodies
There are probably more but those are the ones that stand out to me the most. The noteriety system is wonderful; everytime you beat a level, a newspaper appears to show a sketch of a face and an article summarizing what happened and what witnesses say. If you complete the level with a "Silent Assassin" rating, a face that doesn't look like you will appear and vice versa. You can pay off people to reduce your noteriety. You can only customize 5 of your weapons, namely: Silverballer, SPAS-12 Shotgun, WA-2000 Sniper Rifle, M4 Assault Rifle and Miscellaneous Tools such as flak jackets and lockpicks . Stealth mode and crouch are now synonomous, so no more getting confused about which one is which and stealth mode is much quicker now. Hostage taking is very useful, especially in the last level (if you've played it before, you know what I mean). And getting rid of bodies makes cleaning up a LOT easier. The levels in this game go back to that "worldliness" from Hitman 2. However, most of the levels are in the US, but they are still amazing, nonetheless. The only thing I have to complain about this game is that it's NOT VISTA COMPATIBLE. Even running on compatibility mode there are problems.

If you read this, I commend you.
Have fun reading and discuss!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I bought Hitman 2 Silent Assassin for my GC and it was one of the worst games I've ever played before, so many glitches, one glitch in a level prevents you from beating the level, thus you cannot beat the game.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I bought Hitman 2 Silent Assassin for my GC and it was one of the worst games I've ever played before, so many glitches, one glitch in a level prevents you from beating the level, thus you cannot beat the game.
really? what glitch and which level?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
It was the level "HIDDEN VALLEY" and the glitch was that it made the GC freeze everytime you tried go to your objective.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Well, I don't know about the GC version, but I played Silent Assassin for the PS2. It was really good.

I bought a used version of Blood Money at my Gamestop recently, but I haven't played it yet. I still have too many games to play.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I rented Blood Money for the 360 earlier this year (only one I've played), it was one of the most surprisingly fun games I've played in a while. I didn't even beat it, but it wasn't because I sucked (well, I did at first), but because I was having a good time replaying the first few levels and testing different ways to kill my target(s). The game itself is hilarious too, nothing like sniping the mayor's head while wearing a chicken suit!

It was also one of the few games where I enjoyed the soundtrack and chose not to play my own music while playing it.

You know, if Blood Money was any indication, this series is really underrated. Supposedly, there's another one coming out sometime in 2009, which I'm looking forward to.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
It was the level "HIDDEN VALLEY" and the glitch was that it made the GC freeze everytime you tried go to your objective.
hmmm, thats strange. i play on the PC version and i've never encountered that problem.
well, if you're willing to try playing it again, you could use this "cheat" to bypass the mission.

"Level-Select Glitch
First, start a new game or load one from your memory card. Then quit back to the main menu. If you go to Start, you'll have the option of Current Game or New Game. Select New Game and it should warn you about losing unsaved progress. Select Yes and it will bring you to the difficulty selection. Instead of selecting one, just press the back button to go to the previous menu, and this time select Current Game instead. When it brings you to the mission selection screen, it will have all the missions on it! Note: Keep in mind that, by selecting New Game, you ARE losing your unsaved progress. It's just like starting any new game, but at any level you want. So you will not have any of your ratings or guns from the game you quit from. "

Well, I don't know about the GC version, but I played Silent Assassin for the PS2. It was really good.

I bought a used version of Blood Money at my Gamestop recently, but I haven't played it yet. I still have too many games to play.
you MUST play blood money, it's almost too good not to play.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
A while ago, I downloaded and tried Blood Money on my 360 and it was fairly decent. They have improved on alot of things, I wouldn't buy the game through but I'd consider borrowing it from my friends if that opportunity came up.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Currenly, all the games are on Gametap. I am making my way through the first one. I love it, but it's so freakin hard because while it claims to be open ended, you have a very strict regimen to follow.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
So, this thread has inspired me to pick up Blood Money for the 360 (mostly because I had completely forgotten about this game, and since it's so cheap now). Probably tomorrow at the earliest.

I know the silverballer and sniper are a must, but are any of the other weapons worth being upgraded? I mean, the only other one I can imagine being useful is the assault rifle for the desperate situations (or where I just want a good laugh).

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
So, this thread has inspired me to pick up Blood Money for the 360 (mostly because I had completely forgotten about this game, and since it's so cheap now). Probably tomorrow at the earliest.

I know the silverballer and sniper are a must, but are any of the other weapons worth being upgraded? I mean, the only other one I can imagine being useful is the assault rifle for the desperate situations (or where I just want a good laugh).
Your main gun upgrades should be silencers and scopes. For your standard equipment upgrades, I suggest getting foil padded case (a must for the the White House level), painkillers, adrenaline, faster lockpicks, extra RUAP mine, long range detonator; basically everything except for binoculars. I upgrade the SMG and carry it around just in case something goes wrong. The M4 and SPAS are only good after you finish the game and want to screw around.

Top Bottom