• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

High-Level Puffballs

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
So I've chosen to main Jiggs in Sm4sh as she seems to come naturally to me and fits my current play style within the game. This obviously has its downsides (I won't list them, but all Jiggs mains know what I mean).

I was just wondering - who do people consider to be the best Jigglypuff mains in Sm4sh for Wii U?

I don't think I've seen anyone take Jiggs to the next level yet. All videos I've seen have been mediocre at best.

Anyone know of any really talented Jiggs mains WITH VIDEOS that the community can learn from?

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Dedicated to Puff, heh?

It's true that Puff got a couple of problems that generally hinders it's game, but I can assure you that Puff became way better than it was in Brawl by a large margin.
Unfortunately as of now, we don't really know who could potentially be the best Jigglypuff as of smash 4.
At first we had Awestin who literally made the first steps into the competitive Puff, but eventually dropped it for Villager or something.
We also considered Hungrybox, one of the most solid Puff in melee, to be definitively going with Puff after it's major downgrade from Brawl. However, this doesn't seem to be the case, as he clearly said in it's own way that Jigglypuff was still not viable enough for competitive play.

But we do have a thread of numerous players that shares their videos in order to either show new advanced techniques or even simply show them to get tips from what they did wrong.

Just make sure to drop by and look for stuff from them!

@ Vinylic. Vinylic. VINYL! You haven't even told us what happened on Apex!

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Dedicated to Puff? How could I ever separate from her. I decided to secondary her not because she was good/bad/floaty etc, but because we have a bond.

My in-game name when playing Puff is: Yin?
I play the shy, light-skinned Jiggs with the beach hat
~<3

Last edited:

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
So Awestin and Vinyl are two names to look up. Any videos of either? I'll throw up some videos of my play soon just to add to the video thread and get feedback. We need more Jiggs love!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
TheReflexWonder is also a pretty good Puff

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
He still plays smash wiI u, but not as much as melee.

Also, have you heard of our lord and savior the hoo-hah?

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
@ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder - I just had a look at one or two of your matches playing as Jiggs. Very impressed, dude! Good use of trump > bair, double-jab > grab, falling Nair's. Definitely someone I could learn from :). Are you a Jiggs main or do you just play as her occasionally?

Last edited:

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
To be honest, Puffs Meta is still equal to week 2 or 3 of the game compared to the top characters. I don't think there are anyy really good Puffs right now, although I consider good like, getting top 16 at Apex with Puff which I believe is possible.

No offense intended to anyone, I'm including myself in this. Reflex has good results with Puff, mine are alright. Hungrybox doesn't care too much last I talked to him about it. He still plays her but we both agree that she's not very reliable at times.

She's very hard to play properly, and its still very early in the game. Hard to play characters vs easy ones like Diddy, Mario and Ness, were gonna have some trouble early on naturally.

Most of Puffs strengths are the ability to hit 1 frame punishes with lingering moves, which takes time and practice.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
If only we could find another way to exploit the rollout glitch if it's still there.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
She's not very deep but she's difficult to play properly.

Her aerials are on the borderline of very easy to use like Sheiks fair cancelling on 11 and Diddys aerials cancelling on 15 for uair, 24 for fair etc; and Marth awful autocancel windows like fair coming out frame 6 and cancelling on 35 or 38, whatever.

The point is, most of her moves are either very safe or very unsafe and it depends on your spacing and timing. Utilt is safe on shield outside of shield grab range and very safe on shield crossed up, but if misspaced just a little, its a TON less safe. This is true for her ftilt as well.

Most of the successful characters right now have moderate to high reward for little risk or easy execution, and most of them are also not very deep.

Puff has medium rewards at low to medium risk, but the timing and spacing required is tougher than that of Mario, Rosalina, or Diddy. Even Sheiks fair, if misspaced is like 0 frame disadvantage on shield drop. If Puff makes the same mistake, I hope you enjoy your 15-18 frames of landing lag and being at -20! Mix this up with her light weight and you have a true glass cannon.

There's a reason she's so underrepresented.

Btw bair is like -5 on shield drop, at range spaced well it goes unpunished. We need to use mobility to aid us usually too. Diddys fair spaced poorly safer because of its range and disjoint and is like -8? See my point here >>

Oh well /rant

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
She's not very deep but she's difficult to play properly.

Her aerials are on the borderline of very easy to use like Sheiks fair cancelling on 11 and Diddys aerials cancelling on 15 for uair, 24 for fair etc; and Marth awful autocancel windows like fair coming out frame 6 and cancelling on 35 or 38, whatever.

The point is, most of her moves are either very safe or very unsafe and it depends on your spacing and timing. Utilt is safe on shield outside of shield grab range and very safe on shield crossed up, but if misspaced just a little, its a TON less safe. This is true for her ftilt as well.

Most of the successful characters right now have moderate to high reward for little risk or easy execution, and most of them are also not very deep.

Puff has medium rewards at low to medium risk, but the timing and spacing required is tougher than that of Mario, Rosalina, or Diddy. Even Sheiks fair, if misspaced is like 0 frame disadvantage on shield drop. If Puff makes the same mistake, I hope you enjoy your 15-18 frames of landing lag and being at -20! Mix this up with her light weight and you have a true glass cannon.

There's a reason she's so underrepresented.

Btw bair is like -5 on shield drop, at range spaced well it goes unpunished. We need to use mobility to aid us usually too. Diddys fair spaced poorly safer because of its range and disjoint and is like -8? See my point here >>

Oh well /rant
I think it is simple to play Jigglypuff, the only thing we fail is on getting hit. So basically approaching.

Jonney

Smash Cadet
NNID
hawkeye721
3DS FC
4253-3982-7075
I'm trying to get to High-level!
I don't think Jigglypuff is at her best in smash 4, but I feel eventually she'll find a very strong niche.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
You can still get hit out of pound. The priority is high though. Nair is really good for approaching certain projectiles users too (it cancels out ZSS's Neutral-B, Mario's fireballs, etc.)

Jiggs doesn't have any weapon/energy that is 100% disjointed though. That's why it can be brutal when trying to approach some characters.

Top Bottom