• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
P1 deserves no representation in this game at all
Mind if I ask why? I mean, I don't believe the game aged well and it doesn't have the Nintendo connection of Persona Q/Q2 apperances, but we're just discussing the possibility of a song...

I personally think Akechi as an echo is nigh-impossible. Atlus did what they could to keep this game under wraps to avoid spoiling others. The entire game is a blocked scene that isn't recordable without a separate capture card. A spoiler like Akechi's Persona usage and whatnot making it into smash, I think, won't happen. I know Sakurai doesn't really let spoilers stop him, but Persona isn't a Nintendo property that he has free reign over.
True, but to play Devil Summoner's advocate, they seem to have walked back their fear of spoilers given how Akechi's Persona has casually showed up in everything from Persona Q2 to Puzzles and Dragons.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Mind if I ask why? I mean, I don't believe the game aged well and it doesn't have the Nintendo connection of Persona Q/Q2 apperances, but we're just discussing the possibility of a song...

True, but to play Devil Summoner's advocate, they seem to have walked back their fear of spoilers given how Akechi's Persona has casually showed up in everything from Persona Q2 to Puzzles and Dragons.
Because it's soooooooo bad. It's not even a case of not aging too well (like P2 or P3), but just being a crap game.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
P1 deserves no representation in this game at all

Also no Rivers remix, shame on you
I only chose Snow Queen because it’s a recurring track in the series, it was in Persona 3 Fes and was even DLC in Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night recently. But I agree Persona 1 isn’t the best game as a whole tbh...

Also I knew I was missing something, yeah I think Rivers would get a remix along with Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There

amageish

Smash Master
Because it's soooooooo bad. It's not even a case of not aging too well (like P2 or P3), but just being a crap game.
Eh, I can see why someone would feel that way. I agree that the combat system is annoying and, unlike P2s, the story is way to lackluster to save it. The original game's localization is also the worst, though I imagine we're discussing the PSP remakes.

That said, as Nintenzilla pointed out, its music appears throughout the series anyway, so I don't think it'd be weird to include it were they to celeberate all of Persona.

I'd also say P3 has aged pretty well for a PS2-era JRPG, ignoring how P3FES and P3P cause continual debates about which version is better...

On a different note, we have another Persona Q2 trailer!

The game looks good!

Weirdly, it seems like they're taking a page out of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE's book with cooperation skills (cf. Duel Arts) unlocked from doing side-quests focused on collecting things in the dungeons and dialogue segments. Also, Elizabeth is cosplaying as Motoko from Persona 2: Innocent Sin!

I'm also glad Marie is back - her poetry in Q was some of my favourite as they could go more mock-emo without having to foreshadow her story through it. Hoping she continues to clumsily drop stuff for Ren to pick up.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
While I would prefer Jack Frost or Demifiend over a Persona rep, Joker would definitely be the most appropriate Persona rep if we got one.

Support

DogManStar

Smash Ace
While I would prefer Jack Frost or Demifiend over a Persona rep, Joker would definitely be the most appropriate Persona rep if we got one.

Support
I just want to see the SMT (with Persona) series represented somehow. I think a character like Joker would be a great fit for Smash.

Last edited:

JazzaDawg

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1178-2246-1598
Switch FC
2923 8939 4091
SO MUCH YES
The only thing i need is JackFrost in his moveset since he is the mascot of SMT

DogManStar

Smash Ace
SO MUCH YES
The only thing i need is JackFrost in his moveset since he is the mascot of SMT
I'd be ok with Joker just using Arsene, but I think there would be some definite missed opportunities for extra representation in the form of additional Personas if he only used one.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I was kinda thinking he could use Arsene for some moves, and Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and Jack Skeleton for his other moves, it would be great fan service.

Also other tracks I forgot to mention for the game are Your Affection (Preferably the Daisuke Asukura Remix) and True Story (Sung by Rise herself!).

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I was kinda thinking he could use Arsene for some moves, and Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and Jack Skeleton for his other moves, it would be great fan service.

Also other tracks I forgot to mention for the game are Your Affection (Preferably the Daisuke Asukura Remix) and True Story (Sung by Rise herself!).
Well, Jack the Ripper hasn't been used in the Persona franchise before, but I definitely am pro-taking advantage of the Wild Card.

I'd expect Alice to be included, given how she's super popular, iconic to both SMT and Persona, and has a signature magic move ("Die For Me!") that takes its roots from the very first SMT game (where Alice straight-up asks the player if they'll die for her).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Well, Jack the Ripper hasn't been used in the Persona franchise before, but I definitely am pro-taking advantage of the Wild Card.

I'd expect Alice to be included, given how she's super popular, iconic to both SMT and Persona, and has a signature magic move ("Die For Me!") that takes its roots from the very first SMT game (where Alice straight-up asks the player if they'll die for her).
Yeah, Alice, Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and Arsene are who I would think would be in Joker’s moveset, as they would be most ideal in terms of representing the overall Persona franchise.

Also I kinda want them to do a remix of True Story just because Rise is best girl, but since they’d have to do a JP recording and an English recording for it, it may be complicated. (Although points if they got Laura Bailey back as Rise) I’m also wondering if Break into Break Out from Persona 5 The Animation would be a song as well.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, Alice, Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and Arsene are who I would think would be in Joker’s moveset, as they would be most ideal in terms of representing the overall Persona franchise.

Also I kinda want them to do a remix of True Story just because Rise is best girl, but since they’d have to do a JP recording and an English recording for it, it may be complicated. (Although points if they got Laura Bailey back as Rise) I’m also wondering if Break into Break Out from Persona 5 The Animation would be a song as well.
Yeah, that's a good collection. Use Jack as the neutral B doing an ice spell, Alice charging up magic as a side-B, Pyro Jack helping carry him as the up-B, and Arsene as the down-B?

Well, they've done that for some WarioWare songs, so while it'd be complicated, it wouldn't be unprecedented (ignoring how its a third party unlike WarioWare).

As for Laura, the game is comfirmed to be non-union and Laura just had a baby, so I doubt she'd return unfortunately... We'll see though, she did come back to be Rise in Persona Q against all odds (though we don't know about Q2 yet).

As for the anime theme, I would normally doubt it, but Cloud also has his Advent Children design, so I guess they're willing to represent adaptations of video games?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah, that's a good collection. Use Jack as the neutral B doing an ice spell, Alice charging up magic as a side-B, Pyro Jack helping carry him as the up-B, and Arsene as the down-B?
Yeah that sounds pretty good, I feel like Arsene would use a fire spell since a fire spell is the first thing that he learns. Who knows though?
Well, they've done that for some WarioWare songs, so while it'd be complicated, it wouldn't be unprecedented (ignoring how its a third party unlike WarioWare).
True, we have seen them do crazy things before so time will tell tbh.
As for Laura, the game is comfirmed to be non-union and Laura just had a baby, so I doubt she'd return unfortunately... We'll see though, she did come back to be Rise in Persona Q against all odds (though we don't know about Q2 yet).
Rise is one of her favorite roles, in fact if I remember correctly the reason she didn’t return for Dancing All Night was because she had a complicated schedule, we’ll find out with Q2 if she returns to voice the character, who knows? (Plus we don’t know if she’s voicing Lucina again)
As for the anime theme, I would normally doubt it, but Cloud also has his Advent Children design, so I guess they're willing to represent adaptations of video games?
That’s exactly what I was thinking, I’m cautious about the thought but the fact that Cloud has his costume from a film makes me wonder...

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Kyle Hebert and David Hayter are both union and they're in the game, so Bailey could just go uncredited, as in the previous Smash games and Awakening

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah that sounds pretty good, I feel like Arsene would use a fire spell since a fire spell is the first thing that he learns. Who knows though?
Ooo, that'd be good. It'd also prevent the obvious choice of giving a JRPG character a counter for their down-B.

Rise is one of her favorite roles, in fact if I remember correctly the reason she didn’t return for Dancing All Night was because she had a complicated schedule, we’ll find out with Q2 if she returns to voice the character, who knows? (Plus we don’t know if she’s voicing Lucina again).
Kyle Hebert and David Hayter are both union and they're in the game, so Bailey could just go uncredited, as in the previous Smash games and Awakening
Ah, okay! I'd love to see her back either way. I also didn't realize she voiced Lucina for Sm4sh; I had thought she'd already given way to Alexis Tipton at that point. It was pretty sad when she missed DAN, given how that game is the one where you (briefly) play from Rise's perspective. We'll see.

That’s exactly what I was thinking, I’m cautious about the thought but the fact that Cloud has his costume from a film makes me wonder...
Yeah, that definitely boosts the chances. I do wonder what they'll be doing for DLC this time around though, as last game new third party franchises weren't getting quite as much music (at least, not much when compared to the massive amount of tunes Simon is bringing with him into the base game). So, I can see the anime stuff being passed on in favour of maximizing game content.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
That looks A LOT like his Dancing in Starlight Model to be honest... I'm glad he matters enough to have a fake leak about him though~!
I don't think it was a fake leak, @atticren isn't a leaker. It was just a visualization of what Joker in Smash would look like. Honestly, he fits in really well ngl. I've always thought Persona protags would look great in the Smash pantheon, but Joker just oozes style. He feels like a natural fit in this cast.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I don't think it was a fake leak, @atticren isn't a leaker. It was just a visualization of what Joker in Smash would look like. Honestly, he fits in really well ngl. I've always thought Persona protags would look great in the Smash pantheon, but Joker just oozes style. He feels like a natural fit in this cast.
Too true. Though, I think SMT deserves some representation in Smash before Persona, Joker would be the one exception for me just for the cool factor he'd bring alone. Put me in as a support.

Black Link521

Smash Cadet
Let's hope that the 3DS section of tomorrow's Direct reveals Q2's localization. There have also been some predictions/rumors thrown around about ports for Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 on the Switch. Which I'm not 100% on the possibility, but the idea of it is amazing in my head.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Let's hope that the 3DS section of tomorrow's Direct reveals Q2's localization. There have also been some predictions/rumors thrown around about ports for Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 on the Switch. Which I'm not 100% on the possibility, but the idea of it is amazing in my head.
That would be great. I mean, there have been portable versions of all the Persona games so far. P5 on Switch could definitely happen.

amageish

Smash Master
I could definitely see Q2 being confirmed. It would pad out the 3DS section a bit, generate some more hype for the game, and make it easier to have the directs in all regions share the same length (something they would logically want to do, especially if it's going to end with a Smash reveal).

As for, the notion of Persona ports... I dunno. We'll see.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
I think it's too early for a PQ2 localization announcement, but I would love to be wrong.

While I wouldn't expect them to announce it until a month before the (most likely) English release, I would love to see a PQ2 edition New 2DS XL.

Black Link521

Smash Cadet
The direct can wait until everything in Japan with the natural disasters is cleared up and the people are given time to recover. But I brought up Q2 because we ended up getting P5D and P3D localized sooner than expected and now we're getting it this year instead of 2019 where I could see Q2 coming out around January to Spring 2019 if it were to be announced at the direct next week. If not who knows what could happen, personally the dancing games and a mainline Persona port on the Switch sounds like a fairly easy shoe-in while we wait for Q2 to release along with the release of SMT V. I don't know, I'm not a professional on these kind of things, just a dreamer hoping for any chance/support of Joker in Smash.

D

Deleted member

You know I've been wondering lately. Is the "has to have been on a Nintendo Console" rule more flexible than we thought? Persona 5 may not be on Nintendo but Joke IS in Persona Q2. And Cloud is in the same boat. No FF7 on Nintendo but Cloud was in Theatrythm on 3DS. Plus, if it's a character owned by a company that's already on board with Smash, like Sega, who owns Atlus, is, then would they be willing to make an exception to that rule if it's a character they want to put in? I think they would.

In any case. Consider me a supporter for Joker.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
You know I've been wondering lately. Is the "has to have been on a Nintendo Console" rule more flexible than we thought? Persona 5 may not be on Nintendo but Joke IS in Persona Q2. And Cloud is in the same boat. No FF7 on Nintendo but Cloud was in Theatrythm on 3DS. Plus, if it's a character owned by a company that's already on board with Smash, like Sega, who owns Atlus, is, then would they be willing to make an exception to that rule if it's a character they want to put in? I think they would.

Also, SMT is a Nintendo staple, and Persona is technically part of that series. I think Joker is fair game. With how big P5 is now, I think if we get another Sega franchise in Smash, it could be SMT/Persona.

amageish

Smash Master

I don't think that rule exists anymore - it was mentioned as a requirement during Melee, but during Brawl and Smash 4 the standards seemed to be simplified into characters from co-operative companies that are EITHER important to Nintendo history OR famous in their own right (there is a SourceGaming article on the subject here). That said, all rules seem to kinda be fluid and I imagine the important part would be (i) Nintendo having interest in working with ATLUS, (ii) Sakurai wanting to use Joker out of all of the ATLUS options, and (iii) ATLUS wanting to work with Nintendo - including giving Sakurai permission to meddle with Joker's skillset.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Hiya everyone! I've only played a bit of Persona 3, but I just thought I'd drop in and say that I support Joker for Smash. His design is awesome and I really wish Persona 5 would come to the Switch already so I could play it. lol

D

Deleted member

I don't think that rule exists anymore - it was mentioned as a requirement during Melee, but during Brawl and Smash 4 the standards seemed to be simplified into characters from co-operative companies that are EITHER important to Nintendo history OR famous in their own right (there is a SourceGaming article on the subject here). That said, all rules seem to kinda be fluid and I imagine the important part would be (i) Nintendo having interest in working with ATLUS, (ii) Sakurai wanting to use Joker out of all of the ATLUS options, and (iii) ATLUS wanting to work with Nintendo - including giving Sakurai permission to meddle with Joker's skillset.
Yeah, I think the only rule that’s still really set in stone is the the one of no characters who didn’t originate from video games.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Posted this in the "Direct a Trailer!" but here's my take on a newcomer trailer.

*Smash Ultimate Cross*

The trailer begins with a shot of a building belonging to Wario (either his house from WarioWare, or a giant skyscraper with his logo on it.)

Wario is seen entering his room while lugging giant bags of money, while laughing to himself. He approaches a wall covered with self portraits of all the characters currently in Smash, and he rips apart/throws darts at the portrait(s) of Lucas and/or Pokémon Trainer while laughing menacingly (implying that he stole money from them as an act of revenge for the events in Subspace Emissary.) Wario then starts thinking about all the things he can do with his new sum of money, and begins to laugh even more, to the point where he sounds like a lunatic.

We then pan back to outside the building, where we see everything surrounding the building to turn into a reddish hue in color, and starts to resemble a destroyed, ancient village, while the building itself starts to resemble a castle, like the one from Super Mario Land 2 or Wario World. Wario himself begins to change in appearance as well, as his eyes start to turn yellow, and his clothes now resemble his appearance from WarioWare Gold. Shadowy creatures, either resembling generic blobs, or Fronks from WarioWare, begin to appear around Wario as well, but Wario doesn't notice any of this, and continues to laugh maniacally.

Suddenly, we see four shadowy figures zipping around the hallways of the building. Wario stops laughing as he hears this, and then wedged between some of the money in his bag, he notices what appears to be a giant red business card, which he pulls out. The card has a message, which Wario begins to read to himself, with the message being narrated by Xander Mobus.

"Wario, CEO of WarioWare Inc., and the money-devouring sinner of gluttony, you take advantage of those who work for you, as well those who get in your way, and exploit them all for the sole purpose of self-profit. We have decided to expose you of your crimes, and we will take your distorted desires without fail."

As the letter is being narrated, the shadowy figures continue to zip around the building, while the shadowy creatures/Fronks scattered throughout the building are destroyed, and Wario begins to appear nervous, but shrugs it off and throws the card away after Xander finishes with narrating the quoted part.

Suddenly, the doors to Wario's room slam open, with no one in sight, and all the Fronks in the room are destroyed. Wario's face turns into complete shock, and he finds himself surrounded by three silhouetted figures; one with a face resembling a skull, one with a face resembling a panther, and a short figure resembling a cat. Wario gets nervous and tries to run away, only to trip and be greeted with a silhouette with a very recognizable looking mask.

A red stripe flashes across the screen, and the four silhouettes being their all-out attack on Wario, with Xander Mobus narrating "Signed, the Phantom Thieves" during all of this. After that narration, Joker appears with his signature all-out attack pose, with the usual AOA background instead being replaced with:

JOKER STEALS THE SHOW

At this point, "Last Surprise" from Persona 5 starts playing, and the usual gameplay montage begins, with Skull, Panther, and/or Morgana narrating Joker's different skills as a fighter, while also quoting different compliments from Persona 5.

Different snippets they could use include:

-Joker evading Richter's long range attacks, and closing in with fast and powerful close ranged attacks with his knife.
-Joker beating up a taunting King K. Rool while in front of a bunch of bananas (represented with banana guns, the banana food item, and/or banana peel.)
-Joker and Bayonetta firing their guns at each other, with the projectiles of both cancelling out.
-Joker fighting against Marshadow and Ditto, the former referencing the reoccuring shadows from Persona, and the latter referencing the "I'll Face Myself" theme in Persona 4.
-Make a joke about Morgana's infamous "go to sleep" line with Peach's final smash.
-Showcase Joker's ability to use elemental abilities by using different Personas, which would be iconic demons from SMT, including Jack Frost and Pyro Jack. He would be using these attacks against different characters that use magic/PSI/elemental powers, such as Robin, Ness, and Pikachu.
-If Futaba Sakura/Oracle is an assist trophy, have a shot where Joker has a confused look while standing between her and Inkling Girl.
-Joker fighting Snake and Cloud, or Mario and Link on his stage, which would be Casino of Jealousy.
-If Casino of Jealousy has a stage boss, then it would likely be
Shadow Sae/Leviathan.
-Final clip is Joker's final Smash, which would involve Joker using Down Shot on Link and/or Rex (if he's confirmed before Joker) and after landing, he performs the iconic all-out attack with Skull, Panther, and Morgana (in-game, make it so that Fox, Queen, and Noir can join Joker instead.)

SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE

Trailer ends with Wario's body (now back to his regular overalls/WarioWare clothes) appearing motionless, while Morgana and/or Ashley being taking the money he stole away.

amageish

Smash Master
So, while the latest Famitsu lacked Smash Bros news, it does have Persona Q2 news!

femc.PNG

LOOK THE THE FeMC LEADING JOKER AROUND. IT'S ADORABLE.

I really hope we get localization news about it soon!

amageish

Smash Master
I can't wait for FeMC to be revealed as the main villain
That... would be a twist, though not necessarily a good one given how she's already a defined character who is
willing to sacrifice herself to save the world

My personal conspiracy theory is that, assuming this game is set in a pocket-dimension a la PQ, she'll get trapped in the mainline Persona series universe at the end of this game, thereby bringing her into the realms of the canon for use in future spin-offs. She must be pretty popular - I mean, they literally staged the Persona 3 musical adaptations twice in Japan, once using Makoto (not to be confused with Makoto or Makoto) and once using her.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
That... would be a twist, though not necessarily a good one given how she's already a defined character who is
willing to sacrifice herself to save the world

My personal conspiracy theory is that, assuming this game is set in a pocket-dimension a la PQ, she'll get trapped in the mainline Persona series universe at the end of this game, thereby bringing her into the realms of the canon for use in future spin-offs. She must be pretty popular - I mean, they literally staged the Persona 3 musical adaptations twice in Japan, once using Makoto (not to be confused with Makoto or Makoto) and once using her.
She just came back wrong.

Tbh, I don't feel like we'll see her after this game, and if we do, it'll be as a Makoto skin in Persona 5 Arena, assuming he appears in that

amageish

Smash Master
She just came back wrong.

Tbh, I don't feel like we'll see her after this game, and if we do, it'll be as a Makoto skin in Persona 5 Arena, assuming he appears in that
I guess they could do an imposter/fake-out, but that wouldn't exactly work storytelling-wise because it would be more of a surprise to the audience, who already knew what she was like, then it would be a surprise to the characters, who just met her? Granted, Q isn't known for being logical.

Well, she was already a colour palette for Labrys in P4A, if we're counting that as an "appearance." I dunno if I'd expect her to appear personally in P5A though - though I also don't know if P5A would be a sequel taking place after P5 (therefore requiring the P3/P4 casts to be redesigned once more, which would logically come with them all having new movesets and would likely involve quite a few roster cuts) or if it'd use some time-travel/pocket-dimension/interventionist-god excuse to use the P4AU roster as-is and build on it.

She's a popular character and it definitely seems like she was left out of P3DMN to bring her in Q2 as a grand return to the series (in time for a Persona 3 remake perhaps? I mean, if we're also getting a fourth version of Nocturne, it only seems fair).

Top Bottom