• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hidden Gems: The Games that Seemingly Only You Played

M4xwell

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't really say "N" is a hidden gem, per se, but rather that it's an extremely uncommon game for people to play. (Free PC Puzzle game)

For consoles, I would have to say Maximo: Ghosts to Glory

ReZo-nancE

Smash Rookie
Yeah I have a feeling that a lot of people just jump on hype/bandwagons without ever playing games just to fit in.
...[slowly raises hand]
Half the games I'm really into I haven't even played haha

Anyway, Ristar. Oh man, Ristar. I wish more people talked about this game. Ristar himself is adorable, the story has lots of potential, and the art in the game is just so good!

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
...[slowly raises hand]

Anyway, Ristar. Oh man, Ristar. I wish more people talked about this game. Ristar himself is adorable, the story has lots of potential, and the art in the game is just so good!
Ristar is the single most overshadowed game on the Genesis. Which is a shame, because it's awesome. Other fantastic but overshadowed Genesis games include: Beyond Oasis, the Golden Axe sequels and Castlevania Bloodlines.

Also, you should give those games you love but don't play a try one day. Or don't, you might end up being really disappointed.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
...[slowly raises hand]

Please don't do that. I don't know if you just like Let's Plays or if you just follow the crowd, but please actually play the games you praise.

About 2008 or so, we finally trained most gamers to at least play games they vehemently defend, instead of just jumping on a bandwagon calling something the greatest ever and denying all criticism. ICO, Ocarina of Time, and FF7 are some of the most well-known examples. Then Let's Plays happened, and somehow everything got worse.

finalark

SNORLAX
Then Let's Plays happened, and somehow everything got worse.
Some people seem to think that watching someone play a game is the same thing as playing it.

It's not.

Case and point: Sonic '06. A lot people say that it's bad, but it's so bad that it's actually fun just to see how bad it gets.

This is a lie.

Watching someone play Sonic '06? Hilarious. Actually playing it? Not fun. The stupid cut scenes will always remain hilarious but when you're genuinely trying to beat the game the infamous billiards puzzle, jumps, high speed segments and other miscellaneous glitches stop being funny and start becoming frustrating. Plus the game is honestly just kinda boring.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Some people seem to think that watching someone play a game is the same thing as playing it.

It's not.

Case and point: Sonic '06. A lot people say that it's bad, but it's so bad that it's actually fun just to see how bad it gets.

This is a lie.

Watching someone play Sonic '06? Hilarious. Actually playing it? Not fun. The stupid cut scenes will always remain hilarious but when you're genuinely trying to beat the game the infamous billiards puzzle, jumps, high speed segments and other miscellaneous glitches stop being funny and start becoming frustrating. Plus the game is honestly just kinda boring.
This, so much. For example: Action 52 is my favorite AVGN episode by far. I was almost certain he was exaggerating its flaws to some extent, so I downloaded a copy and played it. It's even worse than he said, but it's not funny in the slightest. Action 52 is that feeling you get when you paid $50 (60 now) for a game that's a complete turd. You feel really mad, slightly ill, and 100% cheated that you paid that much for something that terrible. Except you didn't pay anything for it.

Watching someone play a game and playing it yourself isn't even close to the same experience. Gaming culture should be for gamers, not for viewers.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

It's not.

This is a lie.

Mandatory mission time.

Here's what you do.

Fail to complete mission

You failed.

Go talk to guy again for another chance :(

Twewy

Smash Lord
All this Sonic 06 talk reminded me of pokecapn's Sonic 06 LP, and how 10/10 it was. It's a hidden gem, but it's not exactly a video ga-THE TRAIN IS LATE.

I recently picked up Mega Man X: Command Mission and I can't lie, I'm surprised it isn't talked about more often. X's laser scarf is at least worth bringing up in "cool as **** video game concepts" conversations.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
All this Sonic 06 talk reminded me of pokecapn's Sonic 06 LP, and how 10/10 it was. It's a hidden gem, but it's not exactly a video ga-THE TRAIN IS LATE.

I recently picked up Mega Man X: Command Mission and I can't lie, I'm surprised it isn't talked about more often. X's laser scarf is at least worth bringing up in "cool as **** video game concepts" conversations.
Command Mission is great. Really underrated game by the Breath of Fire team iirc? It had its fair share of issues but it was really cool.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
You guys probably played this game on the Dreamcast. It didn't have a cult following...the game was popular. I'm just wondering why the heck Capcom could of forgotten such an awesome series!?

finalark

SNORLAX
You guys probably played this game on the Dreamcast. It didn't have a cult following...the game was popular. I'm just wondering why the heck Capcom could of forgotten such an awesome series!?
From what I've read, they had a contract with SEGA that said that all new Power Stone games had to be SEGA exclusive first and that prevented them from putting out a new Power Stone game for years. Although I imagine that contract must have expired by now. These days the more likely reason is that it's a fighting game series that doesn't rake in the same numbers as Street Fighter.

It's a shame too. I'd love to see a new one released for PS4/Xbone, even as a small, digital game.

Last edited:

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Probably one of the best RPGs I've played in a time when I was playing all RPGs all the time. The way they switched up the battle system a bit to keep it more involving was good, and generally everything from music to story to all around stuff to do was really good. It got a lot of acclaim at the time, but even then it seemed like nobody really played it.
I love Legend of Dragoon. Watched my aunt play through the final boss with King Albert and Rose. Me and my cousin did our own runs, him using Kongol/Rose and myself using Meru/Hershel. Meru/Hershel is so broken. We used to laugh our butts off at Rose's Astral Drain cause it looked like she farted the health out, and Demon's Gate made her crotch split in half after god-knows-what leaks out of her nether regions (yeah, we're mentally 12 lol)

I've only met one other person who played this without my introducing it to them.
It was a really fun beat-em-up with silly ragdoll physics and cheesy dialogue. For a long time I hoped Square would reboot the series, but alas, it's not gonna happen...

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Anyone heard of Shadowrun SNES?

The moment I heard about a cyberpunk-themed RPG for the SNES, I thought I was hooked. Then, I quickly got stuck in the game and grew incredibly frustrated at it. The next morning though, I decided I'd give the game another chance... and somehow, I figured out what to do all on my own. That's what Shadowrun SNES is to me. One great big mystery after another to solve. It's cryptic, difficult, and never holds your hand but it's such a reward to figure out and finally beat.

Also, its NPC interaction system is very well thought out and unique. Instead of simply picking from dialogue options, you unlock 'key words' as the NPCs mention them to you and you have the ability to ask any NPC about any key word. I'm surprised nothing like it's ever come up since its release.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX

The moment I heard about a cyberpunk-themed RPG for the SNES, I thought I was hooked. Then, I quickly got stuck in the game and grew incredibly frustrated at it. The next morning though, I decided I'd give the game another chance... and somehow, I figured out what to do all on my own. That's what Shadowrun SNES is to me. One great big mystery after another to solve. It's cryptic, difficult, and never holds your hand but it's such a reward to figure out and finally beat.

Also, its NPC interaction system is very well thought out and unique. Instead of simply picking from dialogue options, you unlock 'key words' as the NPCs mention them to you and you have the ability to ask any NPC about any key word. I'm surprised nothing like it's ever come up since its release.
No joke, I have a friend whose favorite game is this one. I never played it myself, but when I was in middle school I used to hang out at his place and watch him play it all the time. It's a freaking awesome game that sadly gets overshadowed by a lot of other SNES RPGs.

Although for the record, Final Fantasy II technically did keywords first. But Shadowrun did them better.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Bionic Commando '09.

Oh my god I only spent $1.88 on it and it is quite literally the most fun I've had with a game in years.

Shadowrun is dope. I highly recommend Shadowrun Returns, if you haven't checked it out. The Dragonfall expansion is one of my favorite RPGs in recent times.

pianoasis

Smash Cadet
I can't quite call it a hidden gem but I feel like I'm part of a select few who played (and really enjoyed) TLoZ: Skyward Sword. At least I knew no one who played it through.

As for actual hidden gems, I used to play the hell out of RollerCoaster Tycoon and Age of Mythology :joyful:

For console my brother and me always played Monster Truck Madness 64. That game was awesome, we rarely played racing mode but instead this fun as heck arena mode where you had to stay on a platform for the longest. It was so glitchy that sometimes you'd hit each other and fly off of the map :laugh:

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Tail of the Sun - PS1 - (avg. price $20-30)

HOLY MOLY this game....it's the kind of game that you can bust out a party doesn't matter if it's a bunch of mainstreamers who barely play games or some hardcore gamers....they will all have a blast playing it and watching others playing it. It's just so random and quirky and mysterious (a lot of RNG too, different every playthrough). It's these kind of off-the-wall good games that make the PS1 library far superior in it's generation.

Squigglydot

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0404-7785-8307
I don't think I've ever met someone whose played Vib Ribbon. I haven't really heard of it till about a year ago. It's probably one of my favorite games on the PS1 (and PSP I guess), but I've heard no one really talk about it.

Last edited:

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
How about.... ODDWORLD???

Puzzle/Action Platformer in 3/4 games.

TPS/FPS in the other.

All of them are magnificent.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Well they're not so hidden anymore since both games just recently got put on the eShop, but the Sin & Punishment games. I have never met anyone irl who has played the games and it seems like a pretty underappreciated /overlooked series.... (mostly Star Successor) So it was sooo heartwarming to see both games get released on the eShop.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I beat a game called Blank Dream today. But I am not here to talk about that game. Instead, I want to talk about its two sister games, The Witch's House and Ib (pronounced eeb, probably meant to be Eve).

They're a pair a freeware adventure-horror games made in RPG Maker. I don't exactly know "hidden" these games are since they seem to be well liked among the horror gaming community and a lot of people probably know them from Let's Plays, but hey, "games seemingly only you have played" is in the thread title.

Both games are fantastic. You'd be surprised how atmospheric games with SNES era graphics can be with the right art direction. These games are delightfully spooky due to the sheer amount of love and effort put into making them feel so, all with minimal, but effective and tasteful, jumpscares. I really love the puzzles in these games too. Both games have some great headscratchers with plenty of eureka moments that are challenging, but never so obscure that they can't be figured out with some thinking (although Witch's House relies a bit too much on instant death traps).

If I was to say which one was better, I'd probably go with Ib. Although really its an apples to oranges case. Ib has more of an emphasis on story while The Witch's House has its focus on puzzles. Personally, I found Ib to be a bit more memorable with what it does with its premise plus it isn't as relentlessly cruel as The Witch's House. That being said, The Witch's House has more varied environments and much more challenging puzzles. Plus the True Ending is notable for its incredible twist that I will not spoil here.

I really love both these games and there's a ton that could be said about them, but I don't want to dip into spoilers. If you like horror games or just want to see what the whole scene is about I highly recommend these games. Don't look up a lets play, play them for yourself. Both games are free and will only take around maybe two or three hours each to beat on your first play through.

Last edited:

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I got another one.
Picked up a copy at a second hand store. Never thought I'd get the chance to play it. Also, this really needs a Wii U port.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This isn't a console game, but I always loved Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal.
more stuff.jpg

Some people might not like it because "lol Pokémon rip-off", but honestly, even though I was too young to do anything of worth, (any progress I made was through use of cheat codes, and I went through areas out of order) I still had fun.
It's not even too much like Pokémon either. Yes you can catch fairies in what are essentially Poké balls, but the battles are first person shooters, and the overworld is in 3D. True the fairies designs are a little...interesting, and they can be hard to avoid (and that was the reason I never left the first area by legitimate means), but I think it's exciting, being able to find a fairy just about anywhere.
I like that the main protagonist, Amy, is more curious then frightful, and thinking back on it, I think she is the only character I have seen who hasn't said something like "OH MY GOSH!" and then ran away screaming on their first introduction to magic.

There was going to be an expansion to this game at one point, but in the end, the expansion was cancled, and the company that made the game went bankrupt. I wonder who owns the game now.

Most people say their ultimate nostalgia game is something like Pokémon Red, or some other fan beloved game, but mine is a no-name PC game, and I would love to see the game revived.

EDIT: I say all this: and then I find it on Steam with the description of: After years of waiting, this legendary classic and beloved fan favorite finally comes to Steam!
Shows how much I know. lol

Last edited:

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
I played TY The Tasmanian Tiger a lot as a little kid. It was a really neat 3D platformer, especially for one created in the end of the point in gaming where everybody and their mother made 3D mascot platformers, most of which were mediocre at best. There were a lot of creativity put into the boomerangs and the way they could be used to solve puzzles, and I adored that!

Last edited:

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
I played TY The Tasmanian Tiger a lot as a little kid. It was a really neat 3D platformer, especially for one created in the end of the point in gaming where everybody and their mother made 3D mascot platformers, most of which were mediocre at best. There were a lot of creativity put into the boomerangs and the way they could be used to solve puzzles, and I adored that!
Ooh, that game is pretty cool.
Pretty sure they're making a new one.

finalark

SNORLAX

I had never even heard of this game until a few weeks ago when a friend of my recommended it to me. It was dirt cheap on steam so I decided to buy it and give it a shot. It's actually a pretty awesome and unique take on the RTS genre. It has a lot of the staples, you build units, upgrade them, build structures with different functions and utilities but the twist if that you don't have any kind of command over your army. Instead, you must hire heroes who you have no control over and will generally go off and do their own thing. To be successful, you must create quests and objectives for your heroes to complete.

It's actually a really clever take on the RTS genre. The heroes act just like plays in an actual RPG. They wander around, grind monsters for EXP and gold, raid dungeons for treasure, level up and form parties. And just like players in an RPG, you can motivate them to raid the dungeons you want them to raid and to fight the monsters you want slain to further you objectives. Since the game takes such a hands-offs approach to combat instead the focus is on building a strong infrastructure and maintaining an economy, which is a really unique take on the genre.

If you like strategy games and are looking for something a bit more unique I high recommend it.

Last edited:

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
TERA is addicting. I mean, I like it so much one of the races is my username.

Most Smash players find the MMORPG genre niche, but honestly, I find them to be decent time killers. Often spend more than two hours playing them a day.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Ah MMOs, I have a fickle relation with them playing them on and off.

I have TERA, just haven't had time to play it lately, too busy with SMTIV and going back to nostalgic territory of my first MMO, Runescape.

Elin

NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Ah MMOs, I have a fickle relation with them playing them on and off.

I have TERA, just haven't had time to play it lately, too busy with SMTIV and going back to nostalgic territory of my first MMO, Runescape.
I wouldn't recommend it if you're new to the genre, but if you've been with the genre for at least a year, give it a go. It's among the best.

Supersteve45

Smash Rookie
Has anyone played ATV Offroad Fury? That was a childhood favorite of mine but I haven't heard many people talk about it.

RANDOM_Stranger

Smash Cadet
I remember I played some Lord of the ring games a long time ago. The latest one was Conquest split screen with some friends. Not a fun game, but we had a good time playing a ****ty game we havn't done in a long time. And no, I don't wanna touch that one again.

But before Conquest, I played/bought most games without knowing how they were beforehand. I wasn't much into the whole gaming community. I didn't know much english. Looking on the pictures on the gaming magazines were the biggest factor if I should get the game or not. And there weren't many friends I could talk about games with unless it was Diablo II, Starcraft or CS 1.6!

One I semi liked was "The Third Age" on the consoles. But thats becaus I never played a final fantasy game before that one soo that's maby why. It was just a new experiance for me. I know its crap. But I can't hate it.

When I got my Game Boy Advance, I had almost no games on it. Mostely becaus the city most close where I lived didn't have a gaming store. But not only that, when we were in a city that sold games, including GBA. I almost never bought becaus eather
A) Most looked very boring or were simply bad (Barbie games, drawing games and such, many "no real" games). Or
B) My father was very strict what I spend my money on, questioning my decision many times untill I was unsure if I wanna buy it. But it could also lead where he gave up questioning and made me buy it (it doesn't help he isn't into gaming, think its bad for me and my brother. But there was time he did a little when I was young. But it dissapeared completely when I was like, around 7).

Anyway, one of the games I have on my GBA was "The Third Age". A Strategi one. Was a very long time I played it. But it's very challenging and had interesting mechanics (Also, there is this BS one that could eather give you/the enemy lots of turns and boost your troops attacks, or it could take away all your turns. Rarely happend but it was there). It also had objectives soo it wasn't just kill all enemy troups. It was easier if you did however. And you could also play on both sides which was also nice.

The first LotR game I played however was "The Fellowship of the ring" on PC. Again, very long time ago. But if you don't count on the bugs that could make you not progress (think it was one of the maps where you played as Gandalf in Moria), it was a pretty good game. At that time.

There were other LotR games I borrowed. But I don't have much experiance with them soo i can't really say how they were. Another GBA game and 2 concoles.

Has anyone played ATV Offroad Fury? That was a childhood favorite of mine but I haven't heard many people talk about it.
Acctually, yes. But only 1-2 times at a friend. Or well, we rarely hanged out.

Was fun. But I don't have much experiance with it to say how much.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
No, but I loved the **** out of the second and fourth one. Especially the multiplayer. Me and my dad never actually raced, we just went to freestyle mode and turned it into a demolition derby.

Elin

NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
I remember I played some Lord of the ring games a long time ago. The latest one was Conquest split screen with some friends. Not a fun game, but we had a good time playing a ****ty game we havn't done in a long time. And no, I don't wanna touch that one again.

But before Conquest, I played/bought most games without knowing how they were beforehand. I wasn't much into the whole gaming community. I didn't know much english. Looking on the pictures on the gaming magazines were the biggest factor if I should get the game or not. And there weren't many friends I could talk about games with unless it was Diablo II, Starcraft or CS 1.6!

One I semi liked was "The Third Age" on the consoles. But thats becaus I never played a final fantasy game before that one soo that's maby why. It was just a new experiance for me. I know its crap. But I can't hate it.

When I got my Game Boy Advance, I had almost no games on it. Mostely becaus the city most close where I lived didn't have a gaming store. But not only that, when we were in a city that sold games, including GBA. I almost never bought becaus eather
A) Most looked very boring or were simply bad (Barbie games, drawing games and such, many "no real" games). Or
B) My father was very strict what I spend my money on, questioning my decision many times untill I was unsure if I wanna buy it. But it could also lead where he gave up questioning and made me buy it (it doesn't help he isn't into gaming, think its bad for me and my brother. But there was time he did a little when I was young. But it dissapeared completely when I was like, around 7).

Anyway, one of the games I have on my GBA was "The Third Age". A Strategi one. Was a very long time I played it. But it's very challenging and had interesting mechanics (Also, there is this BS one that could eather give you/the enemy lots of turns and boost your troops attacks, or it could take away all your turns. Rarely happend but it was there). It also had objectives soo it wasn't just kill all enemy troups. It was easier if you did however. And you could also play on both sides which was also nice.

The first LotR game I played however was "The Fellowship of the ring" on PC. Again, very long time ago. But if you don't count on the bugs that could make you not progress (think it was one of the maps where you played as Gandalf in Moria), it was a pretty good game. At that time.

There were other LotR games I borrowed. But I don't have much experiance with them soo i can't really say how they were. Another GBA game and 2 concoles.

Acctually, yes. But only 1-2 times at a friend. Or well, we rarely hanged out.

Was fun. But I don't have much experiance with it to say how much.
If I recall, the LoTR games were said to be really ****ty. At least that's what the folks on TVTropes say.

Galm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEvilLemon
Not sure if they're well known or not but the PS2 Ace Combat games (4,5,0) are pretty good. They're arcade-y, fun to play, and have surprisingly good soundtracks. My profile is pretty much one big AC reference.

Top Bottom