• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hidden Gems: The Games that Seemingly Only You Played

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Okay, but the art style still very eye pleasing.

Wow really? I didn't even realize there was a sequel.... Guess I'll import it some time.
Oh, I mean I really do love the game, haha. I've had people expecting it to be some huge mystery game like 999 or Danganronpa. They end up having some weird high expectations for it and then not like it :(

I think the art direction and the mood it sets is what I love most about it.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I'm not too sure if anybody's mentioned this yet, but has anybody ever played any of the Tomba games? I've only played the first one and I thought it was a pretty good game. I haven't played the sequel yet, but I will whenever I go on PSN.

finalark

SNORLAX

I never owned this, but I used to rent it a lot when I was younger. Even if you don't care either way for the Hulk or comic books in general this game is ridiculously fun. You pretty much do exactly what it says on the box. You're the Hulk in a big sandbox and you destroy things. It's like GTA but instead of a criminal you're a big, angry, green monster.

And:

This game is unfortunately pretty forgotten, since it has to live under the shadow of Spider-Man 2. Which is a shame, because this is honestly one of the better Spider-Man games out there. Timeless cell-shaded graphics, two very fun characters to play as, simple but enjoyable game play and lots of fan service. Like Ultimate Destruction I never owned this as a kid, but I did borrow it from a friend. And let me tell ya, it was a real treat since I was reading the Ultimate Spider-Man series at the time.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

DDO. While it's taken a bit of a dive in the last few years, this is still an amazingly fun MMO with some of the deepest character customization I've seen, outside of old CPRGs from the 90's. Want a wizard that can do traps? You got it. How about a bow-wielding monk? One of the top-damage builds. Battlecleric? Not a problem.

Once you make it to level cap (or at least level 20, which was the level cap until about 3 years ago), you're given the option to reset your character to level 1, while keeping all your gear and money, for additional perks. The best part about this system (called "true reincarnation", or "heroic reincarnation" as of last year, **** you Shadowfell) is that you can choose a different build. This lets you try out all sorts of strange race/class splits and adds a tremendous amount of replayability to the game.

Protip: Don't roll a toon on Wayfinder. There are something like 50 regular players on the entire server. My experience has shown me that Sarlona is the most friendly server, with Cannith not far behind. Also, never start a toon with less than 12 CON, and always try to fit in at least 14, if not 16.

finalark

SNORLAX
Too bad Turbines games have all moved to free-to-play. That model really hurt the quality of both DDO and Lord of the Rings Online.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Too bad Turbines games have all moved to free-to-play. That model really hurt the quality of both DDO and Lord of the Rings Online.
I always thought DDO's model of F2P was the best one I've ever seen. You can easily make it to level 5 without paying real money for quest packs or anything else, and not even missing the XP until you hit level 7 or 8. While they have started falling into the standard F2P traps lately (paying to circumvent game balance with raid timer bypasses), I think you'd be hard-pressed to find an MMO with better F2P practices than DDO. If you still find that disagreeable, you can always do the $15/month for VIP and get everything but the expansions.

Of course, I hadn't tried either one until they went F2P, so maybe I'm wrong on this. Never cared much for LoTRO anyways, every quest was "kill 5 bears" or something else dumb, DDO is all about the dungeons.

finalark

SNORLAX
If you still find that disagreeable, you can always do the $15/month for VIP and get everything but the expansions.
Every F2P MMO needs this option.

Of course, I hadn't tried either one until they went F2P, so maybe I'm wrong on this. Never cared much for LoTRO anyways, every quest was "kill 5 bears" or something else dumb, DDO is all about the dungeons.
Probably because LOTRO was a more traditional MMO while DDO tried to capture the D&D experience in an MMO environment. I actually played both before they went F2P and personally I enjoyed DDO more, but I think LOTRO certainly has its merits. I still say both games started going down hill once they dropped the subscription model, though.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
This probably isn't true, but The Legendary Starfy. It feels like I'm the only one who's played that.

.Execute

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if Sphinx and the Cursed mummy has been posted yet but good god this game was and still is amazing. The controls were SO tight, the story is pretty interesting if you have a thing for Egyptian gods and all that nice jazz, and I'm pretty sure its just me not being good at anything but smash because for me at least the game is kind of difficult. Some of the item placement is kind of dumb, and besides all of that... Eurocom (The games dev team) was even planning on a sequel because (Mini spoiler, I guess) the game ends off on a cliffhanger and since the games sales didn't do to well we sadly never got to see anything from the series again.

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
Most of my gems would be a lot of obscure arcade games I played growing up, and it would be nice if more could be made available for home play. A console game it seems many people missed out on, though, was Burning Rangers for the SEGA Saturn. The development really dug deep in getting the most out of the 3-D and audio in that game, and I still enjoy it. I also really enjoyed playing Rent-a-Hero on the Dreamcast. It was a Japanese-only game on the system and almost came out on the Xbox, but I always felt people got robbed of being able to play another quirky SEGA game.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Oh geez, where do I start?
First off, I wanna clarify, almost anything that's not a shooter, big-name franchise (COD, Assassin's Creed, etc.) or Mario Kart Wii would be considered a hidden gem where I'm from.

Some that I can think of off the top of my head:
- Alien Hominid
Awesome sidescrolling, arcade-like shooter. If you've heard of Castle Crashers, this was made by the same team.

- Dust: An Elysian Tail
This is a fun, action RPG that seriously deserves more attention.

- The original Thief trilogy
I remember when this was released on Steam and it immediately grabbed my attention. A lot of people might know this from a recent reboot.

Mainly older games and indie titles. People just don't seem to play those.
But for more recent games (I'm not kidding): Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment, Rayman, Fire Emblem, and Mega Man, among others.

In my area, these are practically UNHEARD of :(

EDIT: Add Bayonetta to that

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
- Dust: An Elysian Tail
This is a fun, action RPG that seriously deserves more attention.
Love this game, but last I heard, the game did get a lot of attention from everyone. I still consider it an underrated game since not many people seem to talk about it today other than saying it's a gross game because of its anthropomorphic characters. >___>

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice

Sony missed out big time when they canceled the sequel to this game. I don't usually meet a lot of people who have played it, but those who have seem to universally love it.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Love this game, but last I heard, the game did get a lot of attention from everyone. I still consider it an underrated game since not many people seem to talk about it today other than saying it's a gross game because of its anthropomorphic characters. >___>
By that logic of most people, does that mean Star Fox is a gross game?

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
Oh geez, where do I start?
First off, I wanna clarify, almost anything that's not a shooter, big-name franchise (COD, Assassin's Creed, etc.) or Mario Kart Wii would be considered a hidden gem where I'm from.
^This. I mean no one has heard of the Gamecube or any other console before the original Xbox.

Last edited:

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
Say what you want about Command but Assault was at least decent. That multiplayer is godly.

1 million+ sales disagree with that notion.
1. It is a franchise. 2. Literally no one has heard of it where I come and the thread is titled "Games that seemingly only you played."

Twewy

Smash Lord
1. It is a franchise.
Oh, you're talking about the series in general. I thought you just meant Heaven/Paradise.

I wouldn't call it a hidden gem either way, since that game had a decent amount of advertising and sold well for a non-"main" Nintendo franchise.

Spennicus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groovysmithy
3DS FC
2750-1131-0443
Iggy's Reckin' Balls for N64. I still own it but I haven't played it since I was like 8 years old. I don't remember it too well but I know it was really weird.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Iggy's Reckin' Balls for N64. I still own it but I haven't played it since I was like 8 years old. I don't remember it too well but I know it was really weird.
I always saw this at the old rental store when I was a youngin', but I thought Chameleon Twist looked cooler.

And it was. I mean, name another game where you beat the hell out of ice cream sandwiches.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe I forgot about this. No idea if someone said it already

Basically, if you like Zelda, you'll probably like this.

EddyAOS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eddy-Chaotic
3DS FC
4141-4272-9573

Only the Classic version though, not the ****ty 1.0 version Jagex made.

I can't believe I forgot about this. No idea if someone said it already
Basically, if you like Zelda, you'll probably like this.
Okami is a fairly well-known game. You wouldn't have to look very hard to find someone who adores it.
Only the Classic version though, not the ****ty 1.0 version Jagex made.
Man, the original AoS was so good. As simple as it was, it ended up being like, one of my favorite shooters ever. In case you aren't aware, some fans keep the old game up and running under the name Build and Shoot.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Okami is a fairly well-known game. You wouldn't have to look very hard to find someone who adores it.
On the internet probably, but again, where I'm from, it practically doesn't exist. Last I checked, this was considered one of the most underrated games ever, but that was a long time ago, so I may be wrong about that...

Twewy

Smash Lord
On the internet probably, but again, where I'm from, it practically doesn't exist. Last I checked, this was considered one of the most underrated games ever, but that was a long time ago, so I may be wrong about that...
I remember Okami getting strong reviews. It just didn't sell because Clover had cooties or something.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%

THIS GAME.

It's like Double Dragon. BUT WITH SPONGEBOB AND INVADER ZIM.
I've played that game as well as these two:

I only wish that I had/have actual friends to come over and play with me instead of playing alone with the AI.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Nicktoons Unite was one of my first PS2 games because I liked Spongebob a lot as a kid, and I remember never beating it because the game always crashed on the boss inside Jimmy's robot dog.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Nicktoons Unite was one of my first PS2 games because I liked Spongebob a lot as a kid, and I remember never beating it because the game always crashed on the boss inside Jimmy's robot dog.
I never did pass that level either, albeit for a different reason. I remember there were these metal buttons on both sides of the stages, but my sister and I never did figure out that you had to hit it to disable him for a moment and then attack Goddard.

EddyAOS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eddy-Chaotic
3DS FC
4141-4272-9573

Man, the original AoS was so good. As simple as it was, it ended up being like, one of my favorite shooters ever. In case you aren't aware, some fans keep the old game up and running under the name Build and Shoot.
Yeah I'm active in it ~_~
You should come back if you have an opportunity.

Top Bottom