• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hidden Crisis: No Secret Characters from Melee or 64

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I know many of you probably already know that the secret characters from Melee have yet to be announced. That's Game & Watch, Young Link, Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, Roy, Marth, Dr. Mario, and Mewtwo. The same thing goes for the 64's line up of secret characters. No Luigi, Capt Falcon, Jiggly, or Ness. This can't be some kind of concidence. I'm getting extremely worried about this seeing how the roster of characters on Brawl is incomplete and the release date is drawing near. Che.....darn Sakurai and his mindgames.

Well what do you think of this guys? Discuss.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
He doesn't want to reveal the secret characters. He wouldn't be crazy enough to get rid of such important smash characters.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
He doesn't want to reveal the secret characters. He wouldn't be crazy enough to get rid of such important smash characters.
True, but how on earth can he cram a good majority of them into the roster, plus hot on demand chracters like Black Knight, Dark Samus, Ridley, Krystal, etc etc. into the updates? Also keep in mind bro that the release date draws near.

I say if Sakurai sensai isn't ready to release the game, I'd have it delayed....again. Better to postpone playing the game then having it suck because it's not chalk full of chracters that are beyond awesomeness.

00Elf

Smash Journeyman
They're in, but he isn't going to announce secrets until the game comes out, with the exception of Snake and Sonic, and any other third parties as they are excellent marketing points.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
We know Captain Falcon is back because of the Falcon Emblem on Samurai Goroh. He might be making them hidden again, but I'm sure most of them (sans clones) are back.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I'm all for tons of unlockables as long as they make sense. I'd be happy with a starting roster of the original 8 with everything else unlockable.

I do think that it's not a coincidence that none of the past game unlockables have been shown yet. I'm sure most of them are still intact, but what worries me is what happened to poor Ness. There was no reason to cut Ness, at all. Lucas and Ness could have very easily been completely unique characters. So if they did cut Ness, who else did they cut without valid reasons?

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
True, but how on earth can he cram a good majority of them into the roster, plus hot on demand chracters like Black Knight, Dark Samus, Ridley, Krystal, etc etc. into the updates? Also keep in mind bro that the release date draws near.

I say if Sakurai sensai isn't ready to release the game, I'd have it delayed....again. Better to postpone playing the game then having it suck because it's not chalk full of chracters that are beyond awesomeness.
cram into? if you think they are al going to be the character select screen on the demo, i doubt that thats the final character select screen

blayde_axel

Smash Master
True, but how on earth can he cram a good majority of them into the roster, plus hot on demand chracters like Black Knight, Dark Samus, Ridley, Krystal, etc etc. into the updates? Also keep in mind bro that the release date draws near..
Shade... he can still update AFTER the game's out, you know? Don't worry, they'll be in.

Kratos says no

Smash Rookie
I think I'll keep my optimism saying CoroCoro will have answers

If not, well then idk but I cant deal with another delay

Super_alex2

Smash Journeyman
yeah, just 3 days to CoroCoro, I think we're good. I'm not really to worried, I think he doesn't want to reveal too many unlockables, with the exception of a few.

TGM

Smash Lord
you cant have mario without luigi. u cant have F-zero characters/emblems without falcon.

ness is replaced with lucas.

jiggs will be back.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
They play a role in SE. Just like you have to unlock kirby, you probably have to unlock those. Think about it. They are the "easy" unlockables. The harder unlockables probably dont have anything to do with SE.

And no, ness isn't replaced yet. They havent reveiled ANY of the 64 unlockable characters, so what makes you think ness will be magically shown? I still dont think he's gone.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
They play a role in SE. Just like you have to unlock kirby, you probably have to unlock those. Think about it. They are the "easy" unlockables. The harder unlockables probably dont have anything to do with SE.
It's fine if you want to agree with that thoery but don't start spouting your ideas as fact. You do not know if you need to unlock kirby. If this turns into "conspiarcy theoracy II" it will be locked post haste.

This has actually been brought up before but the thread is buried somewhere.

WaterToFire

Smash Apprentice

And no, ness isn't replaced yet. They havent reveiled ANY of the 64 unlockable characters, so what makes you think ness will be magically shown? I still dont think he's gone.
I'm pretty sure you don't have to unlock Kirby. That was just the demo screen.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Shade... he can still update AFTER the game's out, you know? Don't worry, they'll be in.
I know that bro, however he CAN'T make any more adjustments once the game hits store shelves. That's what I was trying to get across.

And everybody is saying that "He won't announce any secret characters, He won't do it." I know this is Smash tradition for hidden characters to stay a secret until we unlock them, but has Sakurai said with his own words that he won't make any updates for secret characters?

Boofer

Smash Ace
I know that bro, however he CAN'T make any more adjustments once the game hits store shelves. That's what I was trying to get across.

And everybody is saying that "He won't announce any secret characters, He won't do it." I know this is Smash tradition for hidden characters to stay a secret until we unlock them, but has Sakurai said with his own words that he won't make any updates for secret characters?
Well, kinda-sorta...In SamuraiPanda's translation thread, there was a quote in which he said that he was going to unveil secret characters "just like Smash Fist." Smash Fist was the melee site, and based on what people said, they revealed all of the secrets after the release date.

I would get the direct quote, but Panda's translation thread will not open; I get an error whenever I open the page.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Well, kinda-sorta...In SamuraiPanda's translation thread, there was a quote in which he said that he was going to unveil secret characters "just like Smash Fist." Smash Fist was the melee site, and based on what people said, they revealed all of the secrets after the release date.

I would get the direct quote, but Panda's translation thread will not open; I get an error whenever I open the page.
Ok, I don't think it would serve any purpose to lie. I'll take your word for it since you can't access your proof.

Still one thing puzzles me though, I don't have enough evidence to conclude that the secret characters from 64 and Melee will be secret characters yet again. That and will some of the newcomers that haven't been mentioned at all (example: Lucario if he makes the cut) become an update in the near future?

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
We can only wait until this magazine tells or not, I think we won't find out anything we don't already know though... wait, where does that sound so familiar?

Dragon Master Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Its kind of dumb to doubt characters from Melee and 64 are in Brawl... just hope for the best.. Brawl just wouldn't feel right without Luigi, Capt. Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, Mr. G&W, Falco, Mewtwo, and Marth though...

Boofer

Smash Ace
Ok, I don't think it would serve any purpose to lie. I'll take your word for it since you can't access your proof.

Still one thing puzzles me though, I don't have enough evidence to conclude that the secret characters from 64 and Melee will be secret characters yet again. That and will some of the newcomers that haven't been mentioned at all (example: Lucario if he makes the cut) become an update in the near future?
Well, he mentioned returning characters in one quote. In it, he said that not all of the characters from melee will return. That's all we know, so I suppose there is a possibility that those characters won't return. My guess is that most will.

And about the newcomers...We don't know. My own thought is that the only additional newcomers we get will be 3rd parties, and characters that will be on the starting roster. This is just speculation.

Oh yeah, and I heard that clones might not be returning, but I haven't actually seen that quote.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I noticed this. It's weird, but I'm certain that Luigi and Captain Falcon are in. I'm very sure that Jigglypuff is going to be in. As for the Melee unlockables...not 100% sure for any of them to be honest.

Lexl5

Smash Journeyman
just curious, but what leads everyone to believe the 3rd parties will be secret. its never been said by sakurai, correct me (with sources) if im wrong.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
just curious, but what leads everyone to believe the 3rd parties will be secret. its never been said by sakurai, correct me (with sources) if im wrong.
In a discussion regarding snake a while back, he was talking about his status a s a "guest Character" and how it might be fitting for him to be a secret character (either because of the guest character thing or because Snake is very sneaky) People took this and twisted it until it meant that all third party characters will be unlockable. end of story. Despite the fact that almost everything we've seen would logically lead us to believe that at least Snake and Sonic will be starters, people still put more credence in this ancient, out-of-context quote that Sakurai may have changed his mind on ages ago.

TheLeperKhan

Smash Cadet
A lot of people are forgetting that they're spending more than twice as much time on Brawl than they did on Melee. Melee got ten months, Brawls had more than two years. I really doubt Sakurai's going to leave anything out like that. They're secret characters, and they're in the game.

kingjoekur

Smash Apprentice
Luigi, Capt Falcon, Jiggly, or Ness.... these characters will remain secret until the games release, as i posted quite awhile back.

it really bothers me when people say they predict one of these character updates for tomorrow. CAUSE IT WILL NOT HAPPEN, DEAL WITH IT.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I know they are spending a lot of time on brawl, but have they spent it on characters. We only have 20 something characters announced so far and already into mid-December. This scares me because I am not sure we will have as many characters as people thought (around 40). I am worried that a lot of characters aren't making it and epic characters such as Krystal, Captain Olimer, Geno, and Megaman are not going to make the cut.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Some of these characters might not return, like ness, I love ness but i think he got replaced

besides we have to wait and see, theres the whole month of january and 10 days of feb. (or more)

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
I know they are spending a lot of time on brawl, but have they spent it on characters. We only have 20 something characters announced so far and already into mid-December. This scares me because I am not sure we will have as many characters as people thought (around 40). I am worried that a lot of characters aren't making it and epic characters such as Krystal, Captain Olimer, Geno, and Megaman are not going to make the cut.
Isn't he supposed 2 reveal all the characters anyway? i mean a character like sonic probably won't be in the starting roster

I thought he revealed them all and then he would say which characters r secret

TheLeperKhan

Smash Cadet
Don't be. If you look at the poll Sakurai, a good chunk of the highly voted characters have been confirmed. And the way he sounds on the DOJO, he really wants people to discover the majority of character content through the gameplay. The only reason many characters who most likely are in the game don't have a page at this point is because he wants them to be surprises during the Subspace Emissary and such. Think about it. Your playing as Samus, falling through the atmosphere after you escape from Halberd since Samus' ship has been captured. As more and more primids swarm you, jamming up your back rockets so the impact kills you, the whole situation looks bleak until...Ganondorf swoops in and obliterates them with a magic barrage? Or maybe Olimar flys in with his rocket, a chain of Pikmin reaching out to save you. The possibilites of what Sakurai's put into this can go every which way, and it'll be even more exciting if you're completely surprised during your game.

Like this thread's title says, hidden characters from Melee and 64 haven't been revealed. This isn't because they're not in, its simply because he doesn't want to spoil everything before the game's release. They were unlockables then, they're probably going to be this time around also.

TheLeperKhan

Smash Cadet
Isn't he supposed 2 reveal all the characters anyway? i mean a character like sonic probably won't be in the starting roster

I thought he revealed them all and then he would say which characters r secret
Sonic and Snake were probably revealed for advertising hype. A game where Mario and Sonic, two of the biggest mascots in game history, with two of the most hostile franchises towards each other, can finally beat the living piss out of each other? And not just some web flash or movie, but an official Nintendo game? What gamer in his/her right mind wouldn't kill for this game?

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
Some people may have already stated this, but announcing a character from melee who was unlockables as a veteran would be a spoiler for any one who has yet to play melee with them,

which is mainly why I think he will only announce starter stuff on the dojo, yes I believe he changed his mind about the third parties being starters, it doesnt make sense and I believe he was misunderstood

not to mention he said he dosn't even want us to spoil the chars in online play, so why would he do it in the DOjo?

00Elf

Smash Journeyman
If people think that Sakurai is going to reveal unlockable that won't build hype before the release...

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I hope that he is ony showing starters at this point becuse if he has shown unlockables then that means that there may not be many more characters becuse the character update shows that he is running out of characters.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I know many of you probably already know that the secret characters from Melee have yet to be announced. That's Game & Watch, Young Link, Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, Roy, Marth, Dr. Mario, and Mewtwo. The same thing goes for the 64's line up of secret characters. No Luigi, Capt Falcon, Jiggly, or Ness. This can't be some kind of concidence. I'm getting extremely worried about this seeing how the roster of characters on Brawl is incomplete and the release date is drawing near. Che.....darn Sakurai and his mindgames.

Well what do you think of this guys? Discuss.
Dude...what the hell? I mean, there's no basis for this except mere conjecture. I know you're freaking out, but everyone needs to just calm down. After the infamous "theoracy" was proposed, it seems like everyone is even more paranoid than usual. Seriously, there is no reason to worry.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Dude...what the hell? I mean, there's no basis for this except mere conjecture. I know you're freaking out, but everyone needs to just calm down. After the infamous "theoracy" was proposed, it seems like everyone is even more paranoid than usual. Seriously, there is no reason to worry.
We're getting paranoid because what I'm talking about is fact bro and you know it. C,mon man, the proofs in the pudding.

1. Sakurai is being slack in his character updates. We haven't had a new/veteran character update in how long?

2. Him and his developement team is keeping everyone in the dark about whos coming back and whos not. Half baked stuff like "some clones won't be returning" and "some Melee characters aren't coming back."

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking that any characters that have ever previously been unlockable in Smash Bros. will revert back to that. The only reasoning I have behind it is the fact that we haven't had one previously unlockable vet so far. =/

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
We're getting paranoid because what I'm talking about is fact bro and you know it. C,mon man, the proofs in the pudding.

1. Sakurai is being slack in his character updates. We haven't had a new/veteran character update in how long?

2. Him and his developement team is keeping everyone in the dark about whos coming back and whos not. Half baked stuff like "some clones won't be returning" and "some Melee characters aren't coming back."

I honestly can't even remember.

Top Bottom