• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey guys i'm back :D

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman
i'm here guys, sorry i have busy week days. but anyway i'll answer these questions 2morro in study. Oh and the common mistake i see most pits/players make is, they play the same throughout the whole game making it easier for the opponent to catch on and **** beacause lets face it, if your opponent knows the pit matchup, isn't it hard as **** to land anything

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
koolaid, kiraflax, and esca.

could you three please answer these few questions in detail to the best of you're ability?

1. koolaid, you earlier said that most pit players do not mix it up enough, which is absolutely true. could you please give us some advice on how to mix up our game in general for those of us who don't truly know how to mix it up very well, and specifically good ways to mix it up with pit? and being known as one of the more aggro pit players, could you please give us some strategy for close quarters combat?

2. kiraflax, at WHOBO 3 i was talking with Silly Kyle, and he was telling me about how you're pit's spacing tactics are incredibly advanced, so could you give us some advice on how to space our opponents when they are long mid range, mid range, close mid range, and close range? according to him he either cant get close enough to get you or can't get you off of him when you have him up close and that your zoning is amazing.

3. esca, you always encourage us to play more defensive and to have patience. from you're vids to getting in some friendlies to watching your matches at whobo3, it is obvious that your pit plays the best defensive based pit style and is always played with incredible safety even when getting the kill. what would be your main advice for all pit's who need to learn how to play a better defensive game? and what are some of your personal tactics for keeping that fortress defense unpenetrable?

all 3 of you can answer any of these, i just directed them to said players based on my understanding of their specialties.

edit: kuro makes a good point, im pm-ing these to you three but please post your answers in this thread as this is pretty much the ask the pro thread now.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Amazing questions maha. I anticipate the answers. Tbh you should shoot the pm to them instead and then repost any answers in case they don't check here for a while or sumfin.

Esca

Smash Champion
1. I think Pit is one of few characters who strive on other's mistakes. We have plenty of moves that have the potential to kill, we just also need them for combat. If we keep our moves fresh, this would vastly help some Pit mains. When you do an attack, make sure you don't do it 2 or 3 times. Try a different approach or reset the situation by throwing them away. I also think using our uair the same way San uses Ike's uair is a decent mix-up. It pops them up and allows for combo/smash potential. When you glide, make sure to use different decisions, rather than glide-attack. Cancel out and arrowing works quite nicely, or full hop dair out of it if you're at high % trying to play defensive.

2. This is a multi-part answer so I'll put it in different sections.

Long range: Arrow, arrow, arrow, arrow, arrow. Make sure that your 3rd or 4th arrow are both curved up, he'll probably try and jump over them. If he never tries to jump, keep arrowing. If he rolls backwards, keep arrowing, if he rolls forwards, he should still be in front of you. See below :D

Mid range: You've got a few options, you can reset the situation by backrolling or full-hop dair away. If you're planning on fighting you have dtilt, ss fsmash, ftilt (favorite). These are all pretty safe. More risky approaches would be shnair, roll behind them, or shfair.

Close range: Jab and utilt. Depending on the character, you may or may not want them at close range. utilt is fast and helps you get out quick, and jab is good for playing keep away.

Always try to bait your opponents with arrows into airdodging. If they airdodge, you should get a free hit off it, so practice that and utilize it. With Pit, you always want the opponent about as far as two Bowser character models away. So 1/4 FD or so. You want to aggravate!

3. I try and play every second as if I were at 150%+ last hit. I make sure 1/2 moves is an arrow, and I ONLY approach if I have a safe way to get damage, IE the opponent doing something laggy or if I see an opening. I try and keep my full hop dair readily available. If the opponent is away from me, that's fine enough with me because I have arrows. Utilt and ftilt are two of my favorite moves for keeping opponents spaced. Also, Pit's need to work on their offstage game. I'm not seeing enough Pit's go offstage as much as I'd like. There's alot of ways for Pit to use his arsenal offstage, and hopefully Pit's will appreciate it soon..

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
thank you for your contribution esca. that's a great summary for the questions.

now we just need the other 2 top pits to get in on this. will definately try to practice everything you 3 guys write down and be a top pit that's for sure!

Esca

Smash Champion
I can really teach alot better in person. Also Luckay and I did some wifi pittos, and we were learning alot off of each other. And I played Kira on wifi. We all match playstyles lmao, as far as pittos go.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Hey esca, you say FH dair is good retreating option, but what do you follow up with after that to reset the situation and get you on the ground safely?
Also, can't characters hit you OoS or is it generally pretty safe (barring moves like Shuttle Loop)

Esca

Smash Champion
Hey esca, you say FH dair is good retreating option, but what do you follow up with after that to reset the situation and get you on the ground safely?
Also, can't characters hit you OoS or is it generally pretty safe (barring moves like Shuttle Loop)
Dude that's a good question. After a full hop dair, I either fall down and fair, or retreat with an arrow. It's not ever guaranteed damage, but to ensure safety for you and to possibly get your moves refreshed and to tick 3-5%, it's definately worth it. You can mix it up with another dair or like I said, fair inward. There's probably other follow-ups, and if yall have some tell me, but that's how I utilize it.

Also, yeah we can get hit out of shield, but Pit doesn't have too bad of a shield. If you feel like your shield is that much pressured, try backrolling. Pit and Lucario have the same exact backroll animation so we need to use that more as well.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Oh i see esca. Ya okay. Those do seem the safest. You can WoI stall to increase the probability of shield poking. Man you need to get some recent singles vids up. We can record for you~. I'm just curious to your reactions/choices in situations. Im a very visual learner. Got that sharingan eye~

I think ar would be good as well for shield pressure. Not as safe though.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
You can also cross up w/ a WOI fair/bair after a full hop dair.

Also: *Glide--but not safe, *Jump, then landing nair--too much time, but that's pretty much all I know.

Esca has lots of knowledge of Pit though, he's pretty spot on about a lot of stuff.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Any of you Pits going to SiiS5 by chance? :) I could really use the hyperbolic time chamber training with some of you. Wifi worked pretty well last night but most of you were in bed by then D:

Esca

Smash Champion
Not quite.
Foward Roll:
5-12 / 23 Metaknight
4-19 / 27 Lucario
4-17 / 27 Pit

Back Roll:
4-19 / 27 Lucario
4-17 / 32 Pit
4-12 / 33 Metaknight

Source: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225510&highlight=frame

Pit actually has a really average back roll. It's forward roll that's actually amazing. Then again, Brolls are just amazing in general.
I was talking as far as lengths go. Frame data for a back roll doesn't really matter too much, you're either safe or not. Pit rolls soooo far backwards that you basically have time to think about what your next strat would be.

Oh i see esca. Ya okay. Those do seem the safest. You can WoI stall to increase the probability of shield poking. Man you need to get some recent singles vids up. We can record for you~. I'm just curious to your reactions/choices in situations. Im a very visual learner. Got that sharingan eye~

I think ar would be good as well for shield pressure. Not as safe though.
AR would be a good mix-up like 1/5 times. Man I'd love to get some videos up, I just ALWAYS forget. I need to next tourney I attend. Hopefully me against Polt (yoshi) will be coming up soon. I beat him last tourney. :)

You can also cross up w/ a WOI fair/bair after a full hop dair.
Esca has lots of knowledge of Pit though, he's pretty spot on about a lot of stuff.
I do like to use the reverse bair from WoI. It makes the bair hitbox all funky and huge for some reason.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I was talking as far as lengths go. Frame data for a back roll doesn't really matter too much, you're either safe or not. Pit rolls soooo far backwards that you basically have time to think about what your next strat would be.

AR would be a good mix-up like 1/5 times. Man I'd love to get some videos up, I just ALWAYS forget. I need to next tourney I attend. Hopefully me against Polt (yoshi) will be coming up soon. I beat him last tourney. :)

I do like to use the reverse bair from WoI. It makes the bair hitbox all funky and huge for some reason.
Dude next tournament you have to remember maaaaan~. You realize like your newest 1v1 matches are at the very least a year old if not 2. Do a MM with someone and put it on your sd card like right after or sumfin man. Seriously!! Do it vs Polt or other top players. Just make sure its one where you know what your doing so we can see YOUR style~. I haven't had a pit to learn from watching IN FOREVVVVVEEERRRR~!!! Albeit it lead to me having to make my own innovations which i did but STILLLLLL. DO EEEET!:):awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman

could you three please answer these few questions in detail to the best of you're ability?

1. koolaid, you earlier said that most pit players do not mix it up enough, which is absolutely true. could you please give us some advice on how to mix up our game in general for those of us who on't truly know how to mix it up very well, and specifically good ways to mix it up with pit? and being known as one of the more aggro pit players, could you please give us some strategy for close quarters combat?
well, first stock, i'd suggest you do whatever works best for you to get the lead. then after your up a stock camp your *** off and make sure you get atleast 50% of damage before you approach or die. then coming off you newly fresh stockk you can go aggressive or defensive, doesn't really matter. just don't stick to one tactic the whole game.

p.s i'mlearnign how to play defnensive. i can't wait to put this into my game 2morro!!

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
People were hatin' my pit last night I was being super gay on the edge when it came down to last stock (just arrows)... I got called out for planking in friendlies and I'm all "really? you were just standing there and didn't even try to approach, and you're SNAKE. You have nades! lolol"

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I lol when people get mad at me for planking with Pit. Like that is what he is designed to do, if he was design to box snake he would have hax range and strength as well.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro

1. koolaid, you earlier said that most pit players do not mix it up enough, which is absolutely true. could you please give us some advice on how to mix up our game in general for those of us who on't truly know how to mix it up very well, and specifically good ways to mix it up with pit? and being known as one of the more aggro pit players, could you please give us some strategy for close quarters combat?
well, first stock, i'd suggest you do whatever works best for you to get the lead. then after your up a stock camp your *** off and make sure you get atleast 50% of damage before you approach or die. then coming off you newly fresh stockk you can go aggressive or defensive, doesn't really matter. just don't stick to one tactic the whole game.

p.s i'mlearnign how to play defnensive. i can't wait to put this into my game 2morro!!
I can't wait to see new vids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point im learning to play defensive perfectly ON stage cuz pit has the tools for it. That way i don't HAVE to abuse the ledge and when the time comes i can use it w/o worrying about LGL.

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman
We'll I got 3rd yesterday losing to malcolm twice haha, wario is a tough matchup for me

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
We'll I got 3rd yesterday losing to malcolm twice haha, wario is a tough matchup for me
It's cuz you arent near defensive enough...watching you reminded me why i use to get ***** by warios. Till i had an eye opener thx to luckay,esca, and maha telling me how gay i have to be...you really have to play so stupid against wario. We'll help you out. If you want that is...ik alot of top players get kind of defensive when lower smashers give advice :(

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman
yes if they ever get recorded, bizkit never uploads anything soooooooo prob never happen

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
yes if they ever get recorded, bizkit never uploads anything soooooooo prob never happen
I watched the stream and i have a few tips...there is never a good reason or situation to glide towards wario from offstage...ever, end of story. You got punished for that alot.
This matchup will be largely a more ground-sh game. Rolls are your friend if used smartly. They are hard for wario to punish off reaction.

P=Pit W=wario

********W------------->

Pit******^

if wario is somewhere around there air or ground, don't fire an arrow. Anywhere past is safe.

SH retreating nair/auto cancel uair are your best ant-air to his approaches but you have to know when he's gonna AD behind you instead. One of the best ways to play this matchup is simply walking away when he starts to come towards you. I played against a much better wario in my crew after i had maha,luckay,esca tips and then that wario also told me some things about wario players. Spaced jabs,sh nairs,sh uairs, grabs, dtilt, spaced ftilt while W is grounded. These are what to keep an eye out. And again only arrow if he's not 3/4 of the stage near you. The picture should help. If you get a tire from wario use it as a barrier to make approaching you even harder. This is where wario will struggle and we win. We can have a fortress that is near impossible to punish unless we get predictable/mess up.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Thanks =] any other tips on any of my other matches?

:phone:
Unfortunately i didn't get to see any others. I was exhausted cuz i went to gradbash 2011 got home at 4.am woke up at 7 am to go to open house at UCF so i watched that match and passed out lol. Sorry :(

Chuee

Smash Hero
Thanks =] any other tips on any of my other matches?

:phone:
From what I saw of the matches you won, you would usually get a big lead and have the opponent down to about 1 stock, but then they'd make a big comeback and even things out. So maybe something to do with that =)

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman
From what I saw of the matches you won, you would usually get a big lead and have the opponent down to about 1 stock, but then they'd make a big comeback and even things out. So maybe something to do with that =)

i purposely did that, so any of pits moves would kill when they refreshed

Top Bottom