• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I got to admit when I saw DQ11's hero I was a little disappointed. "A series with so much history and they picked the newest hero?" I though to myself. But when all the other heroes showed up I was thrilled.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
....So I take it this was a hint after all?
Sigh... I remember that day. I got filled with so much hope. And at the same time, I felt really sorry for him for all the comments he got. Hopefully, he didn't speak a word of english.

I'm glad this is all over! I'm planning on making a DQ-themed stage on the SB with a message saying thank you. Because I really want to put it out there, you know?

I can't wait to see how Kirby will look when he swallows Hero. Will he have 4 different hats? Will he have one? Will it be Luminary's? Or will they settle for... say, DQ1 Hero's helmet to represent them all at once?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I got to admit when I saw DQ11's hero I was a little disappointed. "A series with so much history and they picked the newest hero?" I though to myself. But when all the other heroes showed up I was thrilled.
That’s how I reacted too. It’s so amazing to see how the Hero represents the whole series, not just the newest game.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
It's great to have to have Dragon Quest characters to be playable in Smash :D
Dragon Quest VIII was my first Dragon Quest game so it was good to see Eight
Also like the Final Smash for having all the other Dragon Quest Heroes

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Any idea on what other Dragon Quest songs we could hear in Smash? We already have the symphonic versions of the Overture and "Adventure" from III coming as part of the pack. Hopefully we get something from VIII.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I keep watching both trailers. It really was a good day to be a Dragon Quest fan and a Banjo-Kazooie fan.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Okay, now that things have died down, I do appreciate the multiple heroes and the spells that can be used. As a Dragon Quest fan and someone who simply took the initiative to get into the series at random back in 2005, I've grown to love the series so much. I was gunning for Slime, but I'll take the heroes too though I wanted the DQIII Hero from my favorite DQ title. Another idea I had was an echo of the heroes, with the Heroines from DQIII, IV, IX and X respectively but then that would make the final Smash a bit spotty if all the heroes come in. I'm excited to see the music, Unlike Square, Enix had their priorities straight and made sure to work things out with Armor Project, Bird Studio and Sugiyama's Estate so I'm sure the latter will give Smash enough to work with.

Good day overall, that pass is looking more and more appealing. Regardless of who else gets revealed, I'll buy it just for Banjo and DQ alone.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
let's just hope we aren't waiting as long as joker fans did(despite this being a different situation i have this fear that Hero's release will be stretched out to the tail end of summer)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Any idea on what other Dragon Quest songs we could hear in Smash? We already have the symphonic versions of the Overture and "Adventure" from III coming as part of the pack. Hopefully we get something from VIII.
Life Will Change and Bombing Mission would like to have a word with you.

If you ask me, the only new song we have a confirmation on right now is Spiral Mountain.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I’m still hyped as underworld. Watching true fans react to Hero is uplifting!

I’m done looking at memes depicting indifference to Hero.
I’m going to limit myself to being around people who appreciate the character. Heck, I think 3 out of 5 of my closest friends got hyped because of me, lol. One is even curious to try the character and wants in on the series. Maybe the others will follow.

Azcorban

Smash Cadet
I just had a thought:

How would Hero screw with the game when he releases? Piranha Plant corrupted save data, Joker’s FS soft-locked when finishing with it, so now it’s Hero’s turn. I’m betting he prevents both sides from respawning after using Kamikazee to KO everyone.
The PP save data corruption was because of counterfeit SD-Cards. Not Nintendo's fault on that one

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Initially i figured i wouldn't be that excited or interested in DQ Hero but the more i think about his MP Gauge Mechanic the more hyped I Am For his release

if he isn't too complicated or technical to learn then he might be my secondary

D

Deleted member

Nitro Rad loved the addition of the Hero too:

Put the video around the 21:20 time mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nitro Rad loved the addition of the Hero too:

You should give a time stamp. I dont if he talked more about it but i only found a little around after the 20 mins mark

I didn't see him talk too much about it, but it's good if he liked it.
Japanese reaction videos can be more emotional ;p

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
One thing that movements you think is missing by knowing the hero for now we only know the fireball, the tornado, snooze, bouncekacrackle slash, kaclang, zoom and kamikazee these are 7 and it looks like they are going to be 16 and also how we choose to attack spice we will change the movement

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Last night I finally beat Dragon Quest Monsters Joker for the first time. Finally!
I can now move to DQM:J2 I hear it's the best one.

Had a tough time because grinding in Joker is hard. Had to switch from an offensive team (Wackasaurus? Restless Armour and Gigantes) to a mostly heal+tank team (changed Lvl.30 Gigantes who had great offense but horrible defense for Lvl.20 Golem who had great offense superb defense and excellent heal and buff magic).

Anyway, what's up today? You all still hyped?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last night I finally beat Dragon Quest Monsters Joker for the first time. Finally!

Had a tough time because grinding in Joker is hard. Had to switch from an offensive team (Wackasaurus? Restless Armour and Gigantes) to a mostly heal+tank team (changed Lvl.30 Gigantes who had great offense but horrible defense for Lvl.20 Golem who had great offense superb defense and excellent heal and buff magic).

I liked both monster joker games, even if the second offered a bit more stuff in some ways. I didn't like it more than the first.

I like all the ones in the monster series so far tho :) (except the one we couldn't play). And pretty excited to try out the new one that's supposed to be coming.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'm starting Dragon Quest 8 on the 3DS; I've finished the first dungeon, and I think I'm going to get the third party member (Jessica) shortly. I'm liking it so far; it helps (for me, at least) that you can see random encounters on the map, and you can see your characters in the middle of battle.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
[QUOTE = "Megadoomer, post: 23397908, miembro: 221424"] Estoy iniciando Dragon Quest 8 en la 3DS; He terminado la primera mazmorra, y creo que voy a conseguir al tercer miembro (Jessica) en breve. Me está gustando hasta ahora; ayuda (al menos para mí) que puedas ver encuentros aleatorios en el mapa y que puedas ver a tus personajes en medio de la batalla. [/ QUOTE]

Dragon quest 8 is very good game and my favorite dragon quest when you get Jessica I would recommend that you give 3 dexterity points to unarmed to learn acceleration is a very useful and important

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Dragon quest 8 is very good game and my favorite dragon quest when you get Jessica I would recommend that you give 3 dexterity points to unarmed to learn acceleration is a very useful and important
Thanks! I'm still figuring out what to do with skill points; so far, I've been focusing them on the character's support skill and whatever weapon they're using, so I didn't think about the advantages that upgrading the other skills would bring. (I figured they mainly improved proficiency with that weapon, which wouldn't mean much if I didn't use those weapons)

D

Deleted member

Vinny from Vinesauce is also excited for Hero, claiming he loves Toriyama and plans to use Eight the most.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I liked both monster joker games, even if the second offered a bit more stuff in some ways. I didn't like it more than the first.

I like all the ones in the monster series so far tho :) (except the one we couldn't play). And pretty excited to try out the new one that's supposed to be coming.
That’s cool! I have a feeling I’ll like J2 more. Of course it helps that I’ll start from scratch again.
I’m done naming my monsters. At least after a particular thing. I used to do this in Pokémon (naming them as FF summons and monsters) but this time I had the bright idea of naming them after breakfast cereals.

Are you referring to Monsters 3? Are we even getting that? :(

I'm starting Dragon Quest 8 on the 3DS; I've finished the first dungeon, and I think I'm going to get the third party member (Jessica) shortly. I'm liking it so far; it helps (for me, at least) that you can see random encounters on the map, and you can see your characters in the middle of battle.
Awesome! Yeah, that’s a big improvement. I love the randomness of random battles sometimes, but more often than not you might want to avoid certain types of monsters (e.g. death spell casting or MP draining monsters which are most annoying)

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! I'm still figuring out what to do with skill points; so far, I've been focusing them on the character's support skill and whatever weapon they're using, so I didn't think about the advantages that upgrading the other skills would bring. (I figured they mainly improved proficiency with that weapon, which wouldn't mean much if I didn't use those weapons)
In general it is best that you concentrate on giving points of skill to the weapon of the character that if you better decide only one type of weapon per character do not go camcbiando type and in the personal skill value, humanity etc of each character

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That’s cool! I have a feeling I’ll like J2 more. Of course it helps that I’ll start from scratch again.
I’m done naming my monsters. At least after a particular thing. I used to do this in Pokémon (naming them as FF summons and monsters) but this time I had the bright idea of naming them after breakfast cereals.

Are you referring to Monsters 3? Are we even getting that? :(

Awesome! Yeah, that’s a big improvement. I love the randomness of random battles sometimes, but more often than not you might want to avoid certain types of monsters (e.g. death spell casting or MP draining monsters which are most annoying)
I would say now that dragon quest is in smash, monsters 3 is really likely to come. And if not, the switch is still region free and we could play the japanese version at worse.

D

Deleted member

I would say now that dragon quest is in smash, monsters 3 is really likely to come. And if not, the switch is still region free and we could play the japanese version at worse.
I played Monster's Jokers on NDS a lot as a child.
Would love to get a new one on Switch, yeah.

D

Deleted member

The best way to go is to evenly distribute between a weapon of choice and the character's unique skill tree (like Courage for Hero, etc.).
For each character I would recommend swords for Hero, axes for Yangus, whips for Jessica, and bows for Angelo.
For the new party members in the 3DS version:
For Red, knives or fans depending on what you need. Knives are great for single target damage while fans are great for multi-target damage as well as some support skills.
For Morrie (if you decide to recruit him, which you should), claws.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The best way to go is to evenly distribute between a weapon of choice and the character's unique skill tree (like Courage for Hero, etc.).
For each character I would recommend swords for Hero, axes for Yangus, whips for Jessica, and bows for Angelo.
Gonna note all of that for my current run of DQ8.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's pretty solid for a first playthrough, tho there's other ways to plan it out too.
I think staff is a good option for jessica too instead.

Boomerang can be good if someone wants to deal with groups of monsters quicker, especially since the hero gets more skills points, so it can be ok so long as not all the points go there. Angelo gets the least skill points, for whatever reason, so it's better to deinnitely just focus on one weapon for him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's pretty solid for a first playthrough, tho there's other ways to plan it out too.
I think staff is a good option for jessica too instead.

Boomerang can be good if someone wants to deal with groups of monsters quicker, especially since the hero gets more skills points, so it can be ok so long as not all the points go there. Angelo gets the least skill points, for whatever reason, so it's better to deinnitely just focus on one weapon for him.
Gonna add that to my phone's notes too.

These tips will probably be useful.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
[QUOTE = "JDCabrera, post: 23398005, miembro: 407989"]

I recommend to Angelo or sword or bow the spells he learns in canes are not very useful and very important to raise the hero points in dexterity in value to have the ommiheal and the cost reduction of the use of mp

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Gonna add that to my phone's notes too.

These tips will probably be useful.
It also depends how you like to play the characters. I think Jessica as a mage works very good, and her sex appeal skills can add to the support.
If you'd like to see her attack with melee weapons tho then whip can still be alright, but the effects overlap a bit with the sex appeal ones as far as support goes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It also depends how you like to play the characters. I think Jessica as a mage works very good, and her sex appeal skills can add to the support.
If you'd like to see her attack with melee weapons tho then whip can still be alright, but the effects overlap a bit the sex appeal ones as far as support goes.
I think I'll go with the staff for this run and the whip on the next one.

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
Likely gonna bring in Mr. Hero to the fold to give me a trio of mage knights for characters I can play.
Robin's the classic sword and sorcery type with all the tomes and Levin Sword
Shulk's the status magic type, with the Monado arts.
The Hero looks like he'll be a mixture thereof.
Am I a masochist for stacking lots of "techy" characters? Maybe.

Don't really know anything about DQ, other than that Akira Toriyama is the artist for it.
Likely gonna go with bandana and mouse-in-the-pocket Hero, whichever game he's from. He kinda makes me think of Yamcha, and I like Yamcha.
Granted, the default Android 17 in a coat and Erdrick, the medieval Great Saiya Man, are pretty cool as well.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Likely gonna bring in Mr. Hero to the fold to give me a trio of mage knights for characters I can play.
Robin's the classic sword and sorcery type with all the tomes and Levin Sword
Shulk's the status magic type, with the Monado arts.
The Hero looks like he'll be a mixture thereof.
Am I a masochist for stacking lots of "techy" characters? Maybe.

Don't really know anything about DQ, other than that Akira Toriyama is the artist for it.
Likely gonna go with bandana and mouse-in-the-pocket Hero, whichever game he's from. He kinda makes me think of Yamcha, and I like Yamcha.
Granted, the default Android 17 in a coat and Erdrick, the medieval Great Saiya Man, are pretty cool as well.
I admire your roster though, masochist or not. Maybe you have a knack for that type of character!

I’ve always been more of a zoner type, but I try to adapt to characters that I like.

Think I’m going to solo main Hero because there’s just so much to cover. And I want to make my past main look like a casual pick in comparison.

Top Bottom