• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Here's Why Smash 4 Will Be Balanced, Even If It's Unbalanced

Lozjam

Smash Champion
No I am not talking about balance patches that may or may not happen, I am talking about customizable move sets. I know we know very very little about it, but hear me out. Let's say in Smash 4, Link is terrible, and Kirby is severely overpowered(I'm not saying this is likely, but just go with it). The smash 4 backroomers release custom movesets for tournaments and competitive play, balancing the game much like Project M did, no modding, or patches required. They can give Link moves and specials that favor him a lot more, maybe adding freezing, or fire to his arrows, giving effects to his boomerang too. Now they can nerf Kirby in multiple ways too. What do you guys think? This could be what the Smash community argues for over a century about which buffs and nerfs to give, but if the back room does it, then I suspect it will be calm.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Yeah...if players can "download" others custome settings this could work.

Otherwise they'd have to set that up each time there's a tournament.

birdy21

Smash Cadet
Custom move sets would only make tournaments last much longer cause everybody use different ones and they have to pick them each game and each time they switch character and learning matchups would be almost impossible if each character could have like 30 diferent custom moves, you have to practice a tons against each moves, which is not fun imo. I dont see custom move sets being allowed in tournament play to be honest.

Tier list and matchup chart wouldnt make any sense anymore if charcters can change their weaknes by changing moves.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Custom move sets would only make tournaments last much longer cause everybody use different ones and they have to pick them each game and each time they switch character and learning matchups would be almost impossible if each character could have like 30 diferent custom moves, you have to practice a tons against each moves, which is not fun imo. I dont see custom move sets being allowed in tournament play to be honest.

Tier list and matchup chart wouldnt make any sense anymore if charcters can change their weaknes by changing moves.
I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the smash 4 back room making a single moveset for each character to balance it, so there is only one custom move set per character, for all tournaments and that must be set before the tournament starts.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I heavily doubt it would go that far.
It seems to me that it's just going to be a short-lived gimmick that will be there only to edit certain special moves for characters. E.G. Make Mario's fireball float like Luigi's or make it crawl along the floor.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Interesting idea, and I think it fits in perfectly with Sakurai's game logic.

He loves giving characters a LOT of control, whether it's customizing what power Kirby has, or changing the music (Smash Bros.), and just for fun, moving the menu buttons in KI:U.
Custom move sets may revolutionize the Smash community.

Now, we'll have "Fox A, B, C, D ETC".

Top Bottom