• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Here's my Roy...

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I've been working on him for a little over a month now, I think I've gotten quite good in my own perspective. I've learned a lot of nice tricks to make him viable enough to be freakin sweet.

Here are a couple of recent vids at a friends house that were recorded...(I'm RJ by the way)

RJ(Roy) vs Juggleguy(Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0v5tQUJz6c&feature=channel_page

RJ(Roy) vs Juggleguy(CF)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5S6UUukZVk&feature=channel_page

I beat his CF earlier in Yoshis story uncorded but alas..vids or it didn't happen eh? lol

Critique/advice please?

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
ugh. the skill is apparent, nice SHFFLs and WDs, but you are doing a lot of things you shouldn't be. I see double jumps, Dsmashes, Usmashes, spammed Fsmashes, Dairs, and all four hits of the DED. to rip a section from my Roy noob guide http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235323:

"DON'T: Ftilt (it's rarely worth it. too much upward knockback), dash attack, spam fairs (too much fairs. nairs are often better), do a normal (non short-hopped) jump more than twice in a round (really you shouldn't ever do it, but certain times arise), use counter (maybe like once in a match if you're certain they'll attack, just for the mindgames, but no more), use any smash besides Fsmash, spam Fsmash, use the Dair ever, or use the fourth hit of the DED (seriously, you'll almost always only need the first three normal hits. the only exceptions are the four down hits for shield poking, the third up hit for a meteor smash off the edge, and occasionally you can do the fourth up or normal hit as an edgeguard)."

and against Marth and Falcon, I was disappointing to see no Dthrow>Fsmashes (you need to set the Fsmash up every time you do it one way or the other. I saw several failed attempts of the Fsmash, with you just expecting them to go down from the air straight into your smash) and not enough Dtilts. And what was with the two hits of the DED for recovery? only use the first DED for recovery (although you can do it more than once). and lesson learned, never use the fair off the edge.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Like what he said, you're technical skill seems to be tehre but you lack the knowledge of when to do what. Really though, all that takes is practice and realizing what works and what doesnt.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Rofl "Spam forward smash" well for Marth, you really have to outspace him and attack with f-airs and d-tilts to neutral a attacks. Also grab to d-throw and if you see them DI really close to you, then you can forward smash, if they DI away, then jump pivot neutral b. Make sure you abuse Roy's sword blade dance whatever the fvck it's called. It applies a lot of pressure and I personally think it's one of Roy's best assets.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Hm thanks for the tips. Dunno why I sometimes throw out the 4th hit of DED, sometimes it hits if I delay it and they attempt to approach after a shielded but well-spaced 3rd hit. I understand the 4th hit should be used sparingly though.

I had no idea dthrow to fsmash was legit.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Dthrow -> fsmash only works if they DI towards you. But still, dthrow is 10x better than bthrow.
Fthrow tech chases destroy falcon. Grab him more.

I saw 0 wavedash forward -> dtilt's. Its roy's best aproach, mix it in there. Not against falcon too much, since he'll be in the air most of the time, but marth really has trouble dealing with it.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You have the potential to be pretty good. But like puppet said, you just need to improve your ability to choose the right move for the right situation.

Just some tips I'd like to give you from what I noticed.

1. Don't use DED in the air, unless recovering. It sucks as an offensive move. DO use it on the ground.
2. You upsmashed a lot when your opponent was above you. You should get in the habit of shffl'ing uairs. They're a million times faster, and they actually can combo into fsmashes/grabs/goodstuff.
3. Stay on the ground. You don't want Marth OR Falcon underneath you. Just SH and you will be fine.
4. Against Falcon (not Marth, you should just stick to dtilting Marth), jab more. The reason why this is good is because a lot of Falcons like to approach by DDing into a grab or shffl'ed aerial. The jab will hit him out of both of these approaches, and if you are quick enough you can nail him with a dtilt or DED before he can react.
5. Be more cautious offstage. Roy off of the stage is quite possibly the worst character. Be precise in your recoveries and don't go for fancy returns.

Top Bottom