• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Here lies the shattered remnants of Meta Knight's kneecaps

Ruminator

Smash Rookie
NNID
quietrepentance
3DS FC
0989-2562-6960

Still fun to play but not even close to a shadow of what he was. We get to know the struggle now, boys. Everybody still here, consider yourself the few and the proud.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I hoped for nerfs more than probably anyone else, but I honestly wasn't expecting range nerfs. It just feels bad honestly, I was all for nerfing his damage, removing his god priority and giving him lag on his moves, but since almost everyone else was buffed that was enough on its own. What we're left with is a character with short range, little combo potential, below average damage output and bad KO power. He's not horrible, I've done a lot to try and make him work and he does have a few good things, but overall he's below average, it's an uphill battle from this point on.

Last edited:

ThaPhantom07

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaPhantom07
Yeah they nerfed MK HARD. I thought it was overkill seeing as almost the whole cast got buffed. He is definitely still usable though. Just middle of the road IMO.

Last edited:

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
That video nearly made me cry.. the pain is real

One thing I did notice that the video mentioned was the down special's hitbox is huge

D

Deleted member

I can still have a blast with Meta Knight (heck, I'm going to main him again), but I was sad when I saw that video. That range... it's bad.
I guess they had to do this to weaken Meta Knight's aerial game.

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
Although I can understand your disappointment, it needed to happen. Just remember :4metaknight: still has one of the best recoveries (even without gliding) and good followup options. If I ever us Meta Knight I'm gonna miss dair all the time because I keep thinking I will hit people who are behind me, seriously that animation is gonna be really misleading.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
It's not that bad guys, trust me. He still gimps like crazy and punishes hard with speed. I'll kill primarily with gimping.

Exate

Smash Journeyman
I hoped for nerfs more than probably anyone else, but I honestly wasn't expecting range nerfs. It just feels bad honestly, I was all for nerfing his damage, removing his god priority and giving him lag on his moves, but since almost everyone else was buffed that was enough on its own. What we're left with is a character with short range, little combo potential, below average damage output and bad KO power. He's not horrible, I've done a lot to try and make him work and he does have a few good things, but overall he's below average, it's an uphill battle from this point on.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
I have better luck getting things "done" in the game with characters I'm only half as good with. I understand the power nerfs, but the range was just a bit too much.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Wow I thought they changed the range to what it should be but maybe it's a little short? I thought the range was the visual. I think it's really weird the visual is so far off from the real thing... The visual slicing of his attacks themselves already are shorter than they were in Brawl. (Pretty sure in Brawl his visual matched pretty closely his range)

Edit: Just remembered, actually it's not even Metaknight -- even with Marth and Lucina, it shows that slicing effect even though there is no hitbox there (in this case it's the "area" of the slice and not the range). I really don't like how they did this, it's misconceiving and not helpful. Thoughts? Am I overlooking something?

Last edited:

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
I just had to say how good the music fits, with the more serious music playing where Metaknight hits (Brawl) and the lighter music where Metaknight is missing (Smash 3DS). Obviously just the stage music, but those stages seem to have been chosen on purpose, which gets kudos from me. ;)

More ontopic, IMO Metaknight has been nerfed way too hard, especially when it comes to his range. To me it's just blatantly wrong to have animations/models that [make it seem like you] hit further than their actual hit-boxes. And this coming from someone who has never played as him in Brawl (hardly played Brawl at all for that matter).

Last edited:

Donovan McGrabb

Smash Rookie
Mark my words now friends: I "McGrabb" WILL BRING METAKNIGHT TO THE TOP! No matter who stands in our way, i will fiight and prove metaknight is the dominating force that he always was and will be.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
There were totally ways to bring MK in line without a range nerf.

Ike and Marth didn't even NEED range nerfs and still their swords were shortened.

And all that range was just given to Shulk, who's looking to be pretty good. Sigh.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sorry guys but Meta Knight needed that range nerf, this was one of the many reasons he was completely unfair in Brawl. Now you'll have to get closer and be more careful. The reaction most people are having here is the first impression that everyone gets when they try to play a veteran the old way but the game is still fresh and the meta game hasn't been completely defined yet so there will be people who will learn to use the little guy effectively.
As someone who was burned for the imbalance in Brawl I'm happy to see this changes; he is not broken anymore but he hasn't been broken either. Now I can main him without having to feel guilty this time, his SS tier status in Brawl was what prevented me from using him a lot.

Also, Shulk has range but he isn't really that great.

Last edited:

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
But the thing is, I'm fine with MK's range being nerfed. However, what I'm not fine with is that the visual indicators are false. If the visual indicators are nerfed along with the actual hitbox, I would begin to memorize approximate ranges and build my gimp game off of that. However, because the visual indicators are still the same, I cannot allow my eyes and brain to remember these approximate hitboxes, or else I would start to miss just about everything.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
But the thing is, I'm fine with MK's range being nerfed. However, what I'm not fine with is that the visual indicators are false. If the visual indicators are nerfed along with the actual hitbox, I would begin to memorize approximate ranges and build my gimp game off of that. However, because the visual indicators are still the same, I cannot allow my eyes and brain to remember these approximate hitboxes, or else I would start to miss just about everything.
^This

If they visually changed Galaxia to represent the hitbox, that'd be cool

Top Bottom