• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Here is my Zelda...

Zone

Smash Champion
I must admit, I was expecting complete and utter newb match, but I was surprised.

Critique?
You really should not approach with din's fire. Not even when falco is off stage really because falco makes it back in to fast. and if he's far enough out for you to do Din's fire, your playing a possibly save him game. Just let him die, and hold the edge.

@:26 that spaced grab was pretty hawt not gonna lie. But after the upthrow you shoulda just went for a kick instead of a upsmash. Unless your playing the old version of smash, it's really way less reliable than just a kick or a regrab.

I saw a downthrow on falco at low percent. You should upthrow him, and chaingrab. However if he full DI's behind you at low% you'll have to instead try to dash attack him at 0% anyways. Remember the Grabbing time for grab is when falco is right above zelda's head.

Powershielding is a good habit to get into. Although you seem to be in the standing stage I was stuck in for a long long time. I couldn't powershield unless I stood still. which, when the falco gets smart, he can play with you all day. Keep up the good work, and try and get good at powershielding while moving. and Eventually the reflexes like Grabbing him while he's stunned by his own powershielding laser will come into play.

In the newer version of smash where Zelda's Smashes are escapable I tend to only use Upsmash out of shield to throw off shield pressure, or try and shield poke with it. I don't really use it to combo much because it's really unreliable. You should Naryu's Love out of shield some. It throws off Falco's game a bit. Just jump and before you leave the ground out of shield Naryu's Love. Be weary of grabs.

Edgeguarding?
You have quite a bit of options vs Falco.
If Falco is trying to Illusion pass you, you can naryu's love, F-smash, Down-smash if he's low enough. Downsmash being the faster option, I use to use jab, but then realized It's really hard to follow up, although it can sometimes promp for a grab if you often dash attack after jab, and falco hits shield after the jab is done. After Jab, alot of people will either Shield, or background dodge, or try and hit you and ask for a kick to the face, unless they are really close of course.

If he Illusions to the edge, Downsmash, or Down-tilt. Downsmash is better, Probably a good idea to spam another downsmash or downtilt, right after you hit his illusion, just incase if he tech'd it and is illusioning again. If you d'tilt him and he doesn't grab the edge, you can run off and b-air him. If he up+B's near the edge just kick him. If he's up+B'ing far away, grab the edge, and stall if you need to rebuild invincibility frames. Hold it. If he goes straight at you for the edge. Just roll in right as he nears the edge. Rolling tells the edge your still there until your roll is done. If he some how get's on the edge barely, (Standing, not hanging.) Jump over with a nuetral-Lcanceled or a foot, or even a wave-land grab if you feel it could work.

I saw some shield grabbing after falco's Down-air, not a good idea. Especially if he fast fell it. You may get away with it if he isn't fast falling his down-air and he hit the top of your shield.

Best times to grab is after a dash attack on falco at 28%+ ish, After his Smashes, During a tech chase, or When you expect him to shield while your approaching. Shieldgrabbing is very limited vs Falco. IF pressure is one Nayru's love or upsmash out of shield can save you. Or a simple roll away. Don't get too carried away with rolling. or when you have sexy spacing like at :26.

For your falco friend, I suggest the following. More lasers, if they powershield alot start shining right after some of your shots. Learn how to do retreating reverse lasers. Where you tap over slightly then do a fast fall laser so you turn around. This way you can retreat and spam lasers.

Practice your technical skill on shields. Doing them in the open, and on shields can have different timings. Anytime you get a grab on Zelda, you should just downthrow and tech chase. Unless she's really high percent and you think you can punish her recovery.

Take a look at this, could give you some ideas. Not many Zelda falco vids out there.
He didn't laser too much, if you saw alot of the previous matches, you'd understand why the laser spam is minimal. Running+powershielding is win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4SaHPyQst4

Other than that, your Zelda is pretty decent <3 Keep up the good work.

TheLake

Smash Master
Not to shabby. I like your fire coats and you have good timing with those up tilts. When fighting fast fallers its best to chain throw up. You can get a couple throws in then use a dash attack or upsmash (or heck even go for a knee (;). Learn to kick out of a shield. It'll help to keep pressure off of you (obviously when your fighting falcos lazers are the ULTIMATE pressure). Decent edgeguarding too, just remember you can down tilt to set up falcos that over b. Also down smash is awsome and edge hogging helps from time to time. All in all good zelda, just work on your sweetspotting with kicks. Kicks are zelda so get that down first.

Hope to see more of your stuff (Oh and i saw your other match when you fought your friends doc *tsk tsk* using shiek shame shame lol)

Crap zone beat me to it lol Yeah dont ABUSE dins fire approaches. Yeah heed zone hes the technical zelda of the group ^_^

Zone

Smash Champion
Not to shabby. I like your fire coats and you have good timing with those up tilts. When fighting fast fallers its best to chain throw up. You can get a couple throws in then use a dash attack or upsmash (or heck even go for a knee (;). Learn to kick out of a shield. It'll help to keep pressure off of you (obviously when your fighting falcos lazers are the ULTIMATE pressure). Decent edgeguarding too, just remember you can down tilt to set up falcos that over b. Also down smash is awsome and edge hogging helps from time to time. All in all good zelda, just work on your sweetspotting with kicks. Kicks are zelda so get that down first.

Hope to see more of your stuff (Oh and i saw your other match when you fought your friends doc *tsk tsk* using shiek shame shame lol)

Crap zone beat me to it lol Yeah dont ABUSE dins fire approaches. Yeah heed zone hes the technical zelda of the group ^_^
lol the technical zelda?
eh?

Keys

Smash Cadet
The match where I fought Doc was so long ago not even funny. That match was kinda bad one to post. I have some more I will put up later which will show why I spam dins fire so much and me being less noob :(. I usualy don't against falco but I expirement a lot since I'm playing a good friend of mine. I've managed to suprise a few good smashers that most of you may know by playing them in local tournaments (not always with a win but at least gave them a run) Such as Mr.3000, Chang, Dr. Drew, and even pretty close to beating Ken once :(

I figured I'd finally start posting to see what more I can learn in this short time of melee before we all make the transition to brawl. Thanks for the tips will try some of the suggestions and look forward to meeting/playing you guys in brawl!

TheLake

Smash Master
Lol perhaps technical is a strong word (especially in zeldas case <_<)...your the depth to ocean that is zelda sir is what i meant.

Ken you say keys? By god your already more experienced than I! Especially with matches such as Chang and Mr.3000 under your belt. Good stuff and i hope to play you in brawl as well.

I call dibs on dark zelda and ill battle anyone for it! *gives menacing glare to the entire zelda community which granted isnt that large but seems to be growing larger duh to brawl*

Keys

Smash Cadet
Hmm, Dark Zelda seems like it will be over used so I may go with other colors. Although it looks cool as hell! Excitement that is Brawl is too many days away :(

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I think the Falco needs more work then your Zelda. He was getting shield grabbed out of everything.

I'm not that good at evaluating so I'll keep it brief.

1. You seem to have the spacing down for Zelda. No complaints there.

2. You like to grab. That's a good thing as long as you know when to go for it.

3. Rushing with Din's Fire against Lazers is not a fair fight for you. But keep using Din's Fire cause it'll help you in Brawl alot.

4. As long as you get to keep playing better players you'll learn about prediction, punishment and avoiding characters reach.

You have a nice Zelda. Reminds me of my early days. And that's a good thing. :]

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Hmm, Dark Zelda seems like it will be over used so I may go with other colors. Although it looks cool as hell! Excitement that is Brawl is too many days away :(
I'll still be going with red.. What else is new? :p

Ivoryshadows

Smash Cadet
Looks like a prety solid Zelda. Like it was mentioned earlier by TheLake, learn to better your Lightning kick. Personally I would throw in a few down titls its good for setting up a good juggle against anyone. It would seem like the Falco player needs more work though...

Keys

Smash Cadet
Thank you all,

One thing that a lot of people tell me is I play really defensive. I wait and let them make the mistake and then take make a move which brings out my shield grabbing habit. I've been told that it throws peoples game off a lot because it is a style of play no one is really used to because most people play really aggressive, which does cause me problems against good Falco's/Fox's because they shine when I go for shield grabs. One of those natural habits that are hard to break.

Kcid's main is Doc and Falcon really. he has just been starting to pick up falco for the remainder of melee so yeah it needs work. He has a really good doc though.

TheLake

Smash Master
Agreed shes like the sniper of the melee family.

All the top tiers are like machine guns trying to cripple you away with a barrage of bullets.

But zelda only needs one and as long as you use it wisley thats all you'll ever need (;

Top Bottom