• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hence her Defense - Let's talk Defensive ZSS Metagame.

Hence

Smash Ace
The Story Behnd the Theory

As you probably already know, removing the springs in your L and R bumpers was banned in Melee. It made powershielding extremely easy. That simply isn't the case in Brawl.

Coming from my terrible experience in Brawl that I wish not to recall anytime soon, this is what I've mustered. Ever since I paid some cynical, insane joker of a smasher to take out my precious bumper's springs, I've had a terrible habit. This habit wasn't at all normal - oh no. You see, at the time I had played a very defensive game where I'd only defend and return to neutral. I couldn't approach. I didn't approach. How I won a considerable ammount of my matches, I'll never know. But that's just it, I have impeccable reaction time. I shield and dodge everything appropriately and only punish. No springs, eh? It seemed to actually work, spotdodge U-Tilt ***** most characters. Players like Overswarm and Vidjogamer preach camping and ZSS has few approaches anyway; what did I have to lose? So after my ZSS was described as the weirdest use of ZSS ever numerous times, I finally understood.

My throught process involved the proceeding six strict guidelines:
  1. Take no to very few risks.
    Flip Jump away when being juggled or when you predict an approach you don't have an answer to.
  2. Recover high.
  3. Utilize the full potential of ZSS' edge game.
  4. Perfect your edgeguard, we have so many ways to punish every type of recovery (Outside of Mach Tornado, but even D-Smash can break MT in early startup).
  5. Don't be afraid of 'playing gay'. Do what you need to win.
  6. Last but not least, camp your heart out.
Wait, Doesn't She Suck OOS?

When played correctly, I believe ZSS is the best defensive character in Brawl.

Crashic and Supermodel From Paris brought up the 'Pixie Character' comparison from Guilty Gear Accent Core. A pixie character is simply a light character that can't take an obscene ammount of damage but deals damage extrordinarily well. Their comparison is true in a sense. We have practical 100% set-ups for punishing. B-B-But...how do you avoid taking damage and how do you deal damage if you don't approach? If your opponent doesn't take risks, what will you punish? Here are my thought process notes to fully utilize the potential of a strictly defensive Zero Suit Samus:​

Paralyzer

This is your bread and butter ranged ground defense against characters who lack projectiles. If they shield, you can attack after they drop their shield. If it hits,you're guaranteed a follow-up.​

Up Tilt
I cannot stress how useful this attack is to defensive ZSS. It punishes aerial approaches after a spotdodge, Dash Attacks, Multi-Hit Jabs and F-Tilts (stay in shield until the second hit and spotdodge the third), etc. U-Tilt also sets up for most of ZSS' high damage combinations.​

Up Aerial
Punishes every aerial approach and D-Air when timed properly. Juggling with U-Air is your best bet. If you must approach, this should be your only one. U-Air is just so safe at four frames.
FF U-Air sets up for jabs if you miss.
FF U-Air sets up to juggle if it hits.​

Neutral Air
N-Air is your main spacer, as Plasma Whip has fairly punishable lag. You don't want that, do you?​

Plasma Wire
Possibly ZSS' second safest attack (second to U-Air). If Plasma Wire isn't SDI'd, it will deal around 15% and combos into U-Tilt. Plasma Wire is also notoriously known for it's ability to combo into U-Air and even meteor spike. It is very useful shield pressure below platforms as it can and will poke the side/top/bottom.​

Jab
Jab x1 is our main mindgame. Here are some simple combnations and uses, most of which involve buffering backwards runs (I'll call it studder stepping): Jab after a powershielded uncharged paralyzer shot or plasma whip as a defense mechanism.
Jab > Studder Step Plasma Whip if you predict their missed grab.
Jab > Flip Jump away to reset spacing or when you predict a laggy/high priority follow-up.
Jab > Studder Step receeding N-Air.
Jab > Pivot Grab.
Jab as frame interruption if you have no better option.
You can finish the jab combination if the opponent has poor reaction time. If that is the case, you shouldn't lose. Zero Suit Samus' jab combination is just amazingly good.​

Plasma Whip
The only time you should use Plasma Whip outside of recovery and edge guarding is for mindgames. Take note of how your opponent reacts to your occasional receeding plasma whip. Did they charge at you, attack, or take no action? How can you manipulate them into making a mistake?​

Back Air
This is the sexy stuff. You can pressure a shield and always effectively prevent yourself from getting shieldgrabbed. Work on buffering runs after B-Airing because it's nearly unpunishable. 80% of your kills will come from edge guarding or punishing after a D-Smash, but I assume you'll get a few stray neutral state B-Airs kills.​

Dash Attack
While this attack may not be safe on shield, it is useful when punishing. Dash Attack can be buffered until an U-Tilt, D-Tilt, or F-Tilt. Each of these have their time and place, but Dash Attack > U-Tilt is the most practical. Refer to SFP's thread for more useful Dash Attack shenanigans.​

P.S.: This is a basic outline for the notes I'm taking. I'm nowhere near done and I created this thread in a few minutes.
Feel free to comment and discuss the defensive metagame. Having the ability to switch between different playstyles heavily decreases predictability. We need something new... this is my attempt.

noradseven

Smash Lord
forward(up) tilt is a great AA move for ppl approaching at an angle when we don't have enough time for a j. u-air.

No comment on armor pieces, come on.

No comment on n-air :/, I mean the move is crazy on retreat it has insane priority and hits somewhat downward.

Also we have a faster roll than most the cast if they have a slower roll or just can't punish yours, abuse the **** out of it.

pivot grab, too man.

edit: DOWN SPECIAL COME ON.

Also she is most definatly not the best defensive character she is p. good though.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Only our forward roll is top tier, though. Use back roll to get out of rough situations, but don't use it too much.

sasook

Smash Champion
Could this thread be used to also discuss what to do when it seems like you're being juggled and no matter what you do, can't seem to get out of it?

Happened to me by a beast R.O.B. the other day, of all characters. -__-
He read me perfectly, I couldn't get close to him, and he was juggling me like no tomorrow. He didn't even air chase me, he juggled from the ground. O_o

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Could this thread be used to also discuss what to do when it seems like you're being juggled and no matter what you do, can't seem to get out of it?

Happened to me by a beast R.O.B. the other day, of all characters. -__-
He read me perfectly, I couldn't get close to him, and he was juggling me like no tomorrow. He didn't even air chase me, he juggled from the ground. O_o
So he was juggling you with projectiles then? Or usmash? or utilt? or uftilt?

I'm pretty experienced with ROB, so I can proly help you on that end. If you're getting beat by ROB's projectiles, you really need to watch ROB more, because they telegraphed enough that you can shield or AD on reaction every time.

Also, this is a really good thread idea. After Genesis I'm planning on making a similar thread but for our offensive punishment game. Basically, pressuring the opponent into making a mistake, and then punishing further mistakes as they try to get back on their feet. Once that train get's rolling it takes good maneuvering and fast thinking to get out of it.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
NEVER USE A BACKROLL
Each time i use a backroll by mistake i got punished lol.
Pivot Front Roll, is the best retreating moove yep Norad

lil cj

Smash Lord
Great guide Hence
I agree ZSS is best as a defensive character
The only thing is...nair being used more for spacing than plasma whip?
Why is that...to keep plasma whip fresh??

sasook

Smash Champion
So he was juggling you with projectiles then? Or usmash? or utilt? or uftilt?

I'm pretty experienced with ROB, so I can proly help you on that end. If you're getting beat by ROB's projectiles, you really need to watch ROB more, because they telegraphed enough that you can shield or AD on reaction every time.
A mixture of all of them. o_o

I'm not exaggerating when I say, this R.O.B. I fought is near Holynightmare's level. I think I have a 1-20 record on him or something like that.

I'll probably talk more to you about it in the IRC when I get a chance.

Top Bottom