• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Helping Your Prediction Game at the Edge

metroid1117

Smash Master
This is common-knowledge for those who have played Melee and read Forward's thread titled Tricks of the Trade, but I just wanted to throw this out:

forward said:
Listen for it. If you've ever been in a room with a lot of people playing smash then you know that controllers make a lot of noise. For about 3 years now I have been capitalizing on the noise. When someone is hanging from the ledge, if I hear a click, I know they are going to roll on, and I punish accordingly. Even with people knowing about my strategy they still don't do anything about it. People are just so used to smacking the R button to roll on they don't bother to think twice about it.
Applying it with Ike: If you hear the click of the L or R button at the edge, USmash or turnaround FSmash for the kill. If you're facing a tall heavy (Ganondorf, Snake, another Ike, etc.) and they're at low %, you'll want to do the Fullhop DAir Setup to dish out some major damage. Against other characters, it's a free NAir and more damage.

Roager

Smash Ace
Makes sense. Any other stuff you have, or is this just a nice little tidbit of info?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Makes sense. Any other stuff you have, or is this just a nice little tidbit of info?
Nope, just that for now. I edited the OP and added the possibility of DAir comboing and NAir, in case you didn't see it.

I'm working on frame data as well, I'm debating whether I should post what I have now or wait until I finish (1.5-2 weeks probably).

Roager

Smash Ace
I dunno if you should post now or wait... I guess its probably better to put up something now. Either way, the Dair setup stuff was good, I'll start using that. My friend plays Bowser, so yeah.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Wow, this actually sounds like a god idea. I'll try to apply it to my playstyle now.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
i like to stand back enough to where the opponent's roll would end right in front of Ike. When they get up/roll/jump/attack, ftilt works really well. It has enough range to cover the opponent's recovery plain, and if you miss, it's lag time is more forgiving than using the fsmash. It's possible you won't get punished.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I shall pay more attention to these clicks from now on. If it helps to land a smash, it is definitely worth it. I usually do SH Nairs and Fair like crazy in order to prevent my opponents from making back to the stage from the ledge.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Everything looks good, mention B-Air from the edge with aether combo.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
TOo bad it's situational, tourneys can be loud so it's hard to hear the click and if your playing with your buddies, they already know your play style and you guys begin to predict each other so it's only situational

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
TOo bad it's situational, tourneys can be loud so it's hard to hear the click and if your playing with your buddies, they already know your play style and you guys begin to predict each other so it's only situational
If your in the zone I bet you it's a totally different story.

Top Bottom