• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with TV lines in video

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I've been recording TV with my cheap Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera, and I've always had lines from the YV show up in the video, butthey weren't too bad. However, today I recorded a few matches of SSBM and the lines were so dark and so recurring that they pretty much made one of the matches unwatchable. Is there a technique or program I can use to clean that up, or am I stuck?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
What it sounds like is that your camera is recording the interlaced nature of your TV. Interlaced video consists of only the odd lines then the even lines of video alternating each frame, the other half being composed of alternating black lines. You probably don't notice them without looking for them, but your camera brings them out.

There's nothing I really know about solving this problem as I've never encountered it, but that's most likely what it is. You could try recording a progressive scan television to eliminate the problem, but I don't think this is something you can fix through camera calibration.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
What it sounds like is that your camera is recording the interlaced nature of your TV. Interlaced video consists of only the odd lines then the even lines of video alternating each frame, the other half being composed of alternating black lines. You probably don't notice them without looking for them, but your camera brings them out.

There's nothing I really know about solving this problem as I've never encountered it, but that's most likely what it is. You could try recording a progressive scan television to eliminate the problem, but I don't think this is something you can fix through camera calibration.
I see. Yeah, because during the recording, a big black bar will scroll from the bottom to the top of the screen. I've noticed it before, but it was really bad today (I was also recording a very old television). Any way to fix it in post-production?

Krix

Smash Cadet
I see. Yeah, because during the recording, a big black bar will scroll from the bottom to the top of the screen. I've noticed it before, but it was really bad today (I was also recording a very old television). Any way to fix it in post-production?
You can't fix it in post-production cause black lines are essentially missing data and you can't re-add what wasn't there to begin with.

Top Bottom