• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with spiking?

ewalb

Smash Rookie
Hey all, i'm a noob here and pretty much a noob at super smash bros. I've been playing with wolf alot lately, and i've read a topic about using his dair as a spike? I'm confused as how/when to use, is it just A+down while the opponent is in the air? and where do they have to be (in relation to you) for the move to work? Sorry for the nooby question, and I apprecciate all advice/help I can get. [also if anyone can tell me how the dthrow chaingrab works?] Sorry for all the noob questions guys, dont flame me too hard! ^_^

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Wolf down throw wont chain grab first of all, and I have a thread about how to use the spike in an effective manner. Use the search function next time, this could have been asked on that thread, I would have been happy to answer.

ewalb

Smash Rookie
i'm sorry about the chaingrab thing, i must have got it confused with falco [like i said i'm anoob sorry guys]. And yes when I mentioned seeing a thread about dspikes early I was talking about your thread, but from reading the replies in your thread ait seemed like alot of people had alot of experience already, and I didn't want to hijack it with the grab question as well...so sorry about that, next time i'll just try to keep it in one thread. I'm hoping that by the end of your question you didn't mean you aren't willing to help anymore...:confused:

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
A newbish question but a good question, ewalb. Everyone has to start somewhere, so don't sweat it.

If you pause toward the end of the Down Aerial's animation (when Wolf's claws are extended downward and the claw slashes in the air appear) that is pretty much where you have to hit them, with the hands.

To spike them to death you have to be outside the stage with no ground below you, otherwise your opponent will just be spiked into the stage. Just practice.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
i'm sorry about the chaingrab thing, i must have got it confused with falco [like i said i'm anoob sorry guys]. And yes when I mentioned seeing a thread about dspikes early I was talking about your thread, but from reading the replies in your thread ait seemed like alot of people had alot of experience already, and I didn't want to hijack it with the grab question as well...so sorry about that, next time i'll just try to keep it in one thread. I'm hoping that by the end of your question you didn't mean you aren't willing to help anymore...:confused:
Not at all man, I'd love to answer your questions, sorry if I came off a little rude. But yeah, building on what Kash said, if your really unconfident with it, dont attempt a spike on anyone lower than a wolf and a half higher than the platform you jumped from. There is no sweet spotting required for the spike, as long as you make contact, it will send them downwards.

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
ewalb if i may make a suggestion to practicing wolf's dair spike tech..

go to training mode
select the level final destination
set your npc to "jump" and 70%dmg

this will allow them to recover back to the stage and allow you to constantly hit them off because as far as i know they wont di. now you will be able to practice toadstooling, ledgeguarding and yes the ever so satisfying spike!

best of luck

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
Just wanted to clarify the meanings of these terms:

Meteor Smash (or Meteor) - An attack that sends an opponent downwards, but the downward momentum can be canceled after the attack by pressing jump (or Up+B).

Meteor Cancel - The canceling described above.

Spike - An attack that sends an opponent downwards, but the downward momentum CANNOT be canceled.

I don't think that Wolf's Dair is a spike. Did anyone prove this? While we are on the subject, is Wolf's Side-B a meteor or a spike.

I apologize if I missed it.

ewalb

Smash Rookie
guys thanks so much for the help and advice, i'll be sure to encorporate it into training. You guys are uber helpful ^_^

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Wolfs dair is a meteor, ive had snakes cypher out of it numerous times, you just have to have quick thumbs or else your gone.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that Wolf's Dair is a spike. Did anyone prove this? While we are on the subject, is Wolf's Side-B a meteor or a spike.

I apologize if I missed it.
Both meteors, but the immediate timing and strong downward force makes it harder to meteor cancel out of than some other meteors in the game? If not, it feels like it to me. :)

Top Bottom