• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with my Sonic?

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
I've seen many of Lucky's videos and there are two things I cannot master: Instant Edge Hogging and spin dashing into a combo (like, when you hit them jump up and hit em again, like a Uair or something else. I usually go to far to the side or just miss altogether.). Any ideas on how I can master and improve my abilities?

Umby

Smash Master
Explain why the Wiimote is an "upgrade" of a GCN controller and I'll explain that to consistently connect spin dash combos, for the most part it's based on execution time, and the other part is percentages.

i.e., Spin Dash -> Spin Dash Jump -> Bair might not connect at certain percentages.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Hmm, instant edgehogging is where you press the control stick downwards and away from the stage and then upwards and towards the stage but very fast.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I've seen many of Lucky's videos and there are two things I cannot master: Instant Edge Hogging and spin dashing into a combo (like, when you hit them jump up and hit em again, like a Uair or something else. I usually go to far to the side or just miss altogether.). Any ideas on how I can master and improve my abilities?
Cheap and easy way to do it:
- roll to edge
- do a quick HALF CIRCLE roll with the control stick (away from level, down, toward level)

A summary of the actual movement in game, would be
[walk off-stage] > [fast fall] > [hug edge]

If you're doing it from a sprint, you can either use your amazing reaction speed and do the down>back quarter circle roll as soon as you get off the level

..or you can try buffering it, and if you go to FD and do a full sprint toward the edge, perform the half-circle roll as you pass the last line that draws a thin rectangle on the edge.

Explain why the Wiimote is an "upgrade" of a GCN controller and I'll explain that to consistently connect spin dash combos, for the most part it's based on execution time, and the other part is percentages.

i.e., Spin Dash -> Spin Dash Jump -> Bair might not connect at certain percentages.
Because it's new, duh.

But really, one of the only advantages to it is kinda... trivial. If you use default controls and press A while charging side-B, you automatically do a spinshot.

That's about it.

Also, if you WANT to hit the spindash jump, you have to do the jump almost immediately as soon as the spindash roll hits.

If your opponent DI's towards you (or at low %'s, doesn't DI at all) and you manage to make the SDJ hit, it will knock him backwards.

It's really ... not very reliable.

Which can be a good thing, since SDJ tends to do more harm than good.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. But what does buffering it mean?

Oh, and Tenki got it. Its an "upgrade" meaning new. Thats all :]

And my Wiimote has custom settings on it. Its a bit different than the default Wiimote controls. It kinda resembles a GC controller, so eh.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. But what does buffering it mean?

Oh, and Tenki got it. Its an "upgrade" meaning new. Thats all :]

And my Wiimote has custom settings on it. Its a bit different than the default Wiimote controls. It kinda resembles a GC controller, so eh.
Short hopping must be awkward eh?

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Uhh. Yeah, I pretty much play in the same style as that or Lucky. Well, I try. Haha. It isn't really THAT much different than a gc controller. o.o;;

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah, my custom controls on wiimote work like GC controls, too. But when I used it, I started to realize how much I started to need it for SH u-airs and retreating aerials.

But on the flip side, trying to do manual stutter stepping was how I ended up learning how to do retreating fsmash / reverse stutter step.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Well, I realized too that my setup is really similar to a gc controller. And I also noticed that I lost my down smash since my down on the dpad became my jump button (go figure), but then I was able to do a manual down smash easily and brought that into my strategy. And recently, when I played with a gc controller, I was worse than with a wiimote. Plus, I enjoy the freedom of hands that the wiimote brings you. I can even cross my hands and play. It just feels better all around.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Retreating aerials? Is that RAR? The same way on a gc controller: Run, jump, back aerial. Unless we're talking about two totally different things here. I'm still learning all these terms this site uses. Haha.

But if we are talking RAR, I try to aim high, for the head, and then land a bit of ways out of their grab reach. If its someone like Charizard or D3 then I just do it during their massive lag. Lol.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Shuairs are also one of Sonic's best out of shield options (though that doesn't say much about his oos game). How do you do those with a wiimote?

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Haha. These terms are really throwing me off. Ummm. Bairing forward is simple, since my jump button is down on the dpad on the wiimote, and the other three directions are all smashes, so I can jump (down dpad) into a side aerial (side dpad) or I just use the A button. Depends on what I plan on doing next.

Shuairs Ima guess are Uairs out of the shield? Well, I jump out and do it. Actually, I don't think thats part of my strategy. Hmm, gotta do that more, thanks.

And what is an oos?

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Well I shouldn't. Its just that people explain things and I'm like "Translation for Wiimote-nese please?" Haha.

Top Bottom