• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with L-Canceling

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but when I try to L cancel then Smash them with marth I either end up just rolling left or right, putting up my shield, air dodging, or not canceling any lag at all then smashing.

I think I L-cancel the right way sometimes but its hard to tell.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but when I try to L cancel then Smash them with marth I either end up just rolling left or right, putting up my shield, air dodging, or not canceling any lag at all then smashing.

I think I L-cancel the right way sometimes but its hard to tell.
Make sure you're pressing L or R just before you hit the ground and that you're releasing before or as you hit the ground. You don't need to depress the trigger all the way--both the analog and digital functions of the triggers will L-cancel.

If you're rolling or shielding, then you either didn't release the trigger fast enough or you're still holding it down. It's easier if you just lightly depress the trigger so it doesn't have to spring back as far.

If you're air-dodging, then you're not in the lag of an aerial, and your L-cancel is pointless.

If you aren't cancelling any lag then you missed the timing but were still in the lag of an aerial and you did release the trigger.

Practice with high-lag moves like the DAIR so you'll know for certain when you get the timing right. L-cancelling is one of the more difficult to techs to master when you start playing competitively, but eventually it becomes second nature.

metroid1117

Smash Master
A common mistake that even some pros do under pressure is holding the L, R, or even Z (yes, you can l-cancel with Z) a split second too long; that will cause you to shield after your lag. To check your timing for l-canceling, try shffl'ing DAirs, Marth's laggiest move. After you get the timing down, you should be able to recognize when you're l-canceling or not.

YoUnGMaRtH

Smash Rookie
I use to have dat same problem my shield always come up and i end up doin a roll ...... so i jus practiced on da laggiest moves den i got good at it ....jus practice you'll get it

Kada

Smash Journeyman
The only real key here is to practice. One thing I've noticed that happens to people, however, is that they practice L-cancelling on air. But when they actually hit someone, the lag they get from hiting their opponent messes them up. I've just gotten over this bump myself, so if at all possible, when you practice, you might want to switch up actually hitting a person, and not.

There is a very specific timing though. All it takes is practice. Some moves are easier to L-cancel than others. But eventually you'll really get a feel for all the timings that your character has. After a couple hours, you'll start to get it, and eventually you'll be able to do it without thinking. But none of this comes without setting aside a couple hours just trying to L-cancel everything. :psycho:

Adi

Smash Lord
If you're not sure if you're doing it try doing it on training mode at a slower speed, and try doing a neutral A right after the aerial. You'll be able to see the difference clearly.

Ghettoman

Smash Apprentice
Try using fox, and go to training mode. Then do the dril kick- shine thing. if you get a combo of more than one, then you got it. just take that and use it with your marth. I use them both so i hope that can help you the same way it helped me.

Jay Talbayne

Smash Apprentice
You know ihad the same issue with My marth, and then some one told me i didn thave to Press the L or R all the way down. So whenever i Lcancel (Even though i use R Cancel) i just tap it, it seems easier and more effective. so try to Tap L/R when u wanna L/R cancel an aerial, it might be more comfortable for you. And Practicing L/R canceling with Fox and falco is good because of how fast they fall. if u get good at L canceling with them then ull be good with any other character

tsuyukomi

Smash Rookie
so..this will sound noobish, but the l-calcel stops the aerials in mid-air? so if i fair and hit l, he'll stop the animation..? and what about dair? the lag is real big if u miss, i should hit l after i swing? hows the timing go?

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
so..this will sound noobish, but the l-calcel stops the aerials in mid-air? so if i fair and hit l, he'll stop the animation..? and what about dair? the lag is real big if u miss, i should hit l after i swing? hows the timing go?
It doesn't stop the arial in mid-air. It just stops the lag that happens when you land.

Top Bottom