• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help With Dedede Chaingrab

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
Hey i've been trying to get DDD's chaingrab down and i cant seem to get it.
when i practiced on DK i finally got the infinite chaingrab but when i tried it against my friend with pit i couldnt do it. the best i could do was 3 in a row where every i throw them down i run a little towards them and grab them but that wont work forever obviously

so any advice?

also i read in a post about it that u MUST do a shield grab with it, how can u do that at the same time? isn't a shield grab when someone hits u and u shield and then grab them right after? so why would u need to shield first in his chain grab

the same post said "opponent stays and gets dashing shield grabbed", how are u supposed to dash and put a shield on and grab at the same time? i saw a youtube video and the guy was basically just pressing grab again

thanks for the help

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Alright, wrong board buddy but yeah...I'll help ya out.

Ok, on a moving opponent you have to be fast on your fingers. Run at them and grab, hit the down button and then right as you hit the down function, swivel your finger to the side where they are going. This is easier then letting the joystick go to the neutral position and will make the transition a lot more smooth and fluid. Then, to stop your dash, retract the pressure from your joystick and immediatly erect a shield before grabbing A. Then, throw down and repeat. It takes a lot of practice, so just keep at it. Try in training mode on a stationary target, then have the target go to the running function. After a while, play some computers. Once you have that down, keep practicing until it's second nature.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Hey i've been trying to get DDD's chaingrab down and i cant seem to get it.
when i practiced on DK i finally got the infinite chaingrab but when i tried it against my friend with pit i couldnt do it. the best i could do was 3 in a row where every i throw them down i run a little towards them and grab them but that wont work forever obviously

so any advice?
I can't give you any advice other than run at him and grab, the person I play against the most mains Pit and I can tell you it's easy to chaingrab him. He can spot-dodge out of it though (as can R.O.B. and probably most other characters).

also i read in a post about it that u MUST do a shield grab with it, how can u do that at the same time? isn't a shield grab when someone hits u and u shield and then grab them right after? so why would u need to shield first in his chain grab

the same post said "opponent stays and gets dashing shield grabbed", how are u supposed to dash and put a shield on and grab at the same time? i saw a youtube video and the guy was basically just pressing grab again

thanks for the help
It depends on who your grabbing, most characters you don't need to shield grab (but it's good practice anyway). And shield grabbing doesn't have to be after a shielded attack, it just means press shield briefly so that your shield just barely shows up + A to grab. It's easy to get the timing down for a dashing shield grab but a little more difficult in the chaos of a fight so you will see people screw it up and not pop their shield but the chaingrab still works normally.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Look in the Dedede boards, there's probably some tips there.

For some characters you have to do the dashing shield grab, and not the regular grab with Z. you don't have to wait for them to hit you, just use L+A to grab instead of Z. Also, some characters can't be chaingrabbed at all, and many can break out of it (provided they're not up against a wall).

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
try turning down the suck
lol, what a good first post

Alright, wrong board buddy but yeah...I'll help ya out.

Ok, on a moving opponent you have to be fast on your fingers. Run at them and grab, hit the down button and then right as you hit the down function, swivel your finger to the side where they are going. This is easier then letting the joystick go to the neutral position and will make the transition a lot more smooth and fluid. Then, to stop your dash, retract the pressure from your joystick and immediatly erect a shield before grabbing A. Then, throw down and repeat. It takes a lot of practice, so just keep at it. Try in training mode on a stationary target, then have the target go to the running function. After a while, play some computers. Once you have that down, keep practicing until it's second nature.
when u say through a shield do u mean i actually have to turn on the shield then press grab? because i've done it before without clicking shield at all and i've seen people just press grag again? or do u mean the shield that sometimes pops up when u press grab?

Look in the Dedede boards, there's probably some tips there.

For some characters you have to do the dashing shield grab, and not the regular grab with Z. you don't have to wait for them to hit you, just use L+A to grab instead of Z. Also, some characters can't be chaingrabbed at all, and many can break out of it (provided they're not up against a wall).
wait so a shield grab can be done by just pressing shield and then A?? or do u have to set grab to A?

-sry about the probably obvious questions, i'm knew to the game

kamekasu

Smash Ace
You can cancel a dash by pressing the shield button. You keep your momentum but you continue moving forward. You can use this to your advantage by performing a shield grab while moving forward. So just press A right after a dashing shield.

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
wait so a shield grab can be done by just pressing shield and then A?? or do u have to set grab to A?
Whenever you press a while your shield is up, you grab (you dont need to change your controls).
when u say through a shield do u mean i actually have to turn on the shield then press grab? because i've done it before without clicking shield at all and i've seen people just press grag again? or do u mean the shield that sometimes pops up when u press grab?
When you shield while dashing, you will continue to slide while you put your shield up, so that when you slide next to your opponent, you can hit A and grab them (called the dashing shield grab).

However, you can activate the grab before your shield is actually deployed, in which case you will not see the shield pop up (which is why it looks like they just press grab).

You can do the chain grab using the normal running grab, but if you miss you go into the running grab miss animation, which is very long. If you dashing shield grab, you have stopped the dash, so if you miss you have much less lag from the standing grab miss.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
definitely shield grab. it's much easier and less punishable if you screw up.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
try turning down the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugS View Post
No one is good at this game.
Stop saying " wow ____ has an amazing pit". He doesn't.
No more "This guy is showing us how the game should be played". He isn't.

Everyone sucks at brawl. You don't get points for beating a good melee player in brawl. You don't get points for winning only 65% of the matches you play. You suck, I suck, we all suck.

The only skill difference between brawlers now is that certain players just suck a little less.
At least give the game more than 2 weeks post release before you start claiming that you or anyone is good at it.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
Whenever you press a while your shield is up, you grab (you dont need to change your controls).

When you shield while dashing, you will continue to slide while you put your shield up, so that when you slide next to your opponent, you can hit A and grab them (called the dashing shield grab).

However, you can activate the grab before your shield is actually deployed, in which case you will not see the shield pop up (which is why it looks like they just press grab).

You can do the chain grab using the normal running grab, but if you miss you go into the running grab miss animation, which is very long. If you dashing shield grab, you have stopped the dash, so if you miss you have much less lag from the standing grab miss.
that was helpful but u and others are saying it like i need to run after them and sheild grab. but theres a way to do it infinitely without moving right? thats the part i dont get. i tried it with samus and i couldnt get it, not more than twice anyway while standing still, only when dashing towards them. so ur saying press L then a to grab them? i tried that yesterday and the grab didn't work until the shield was deployed and by that time they were too far away
?

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
yeah, thats the "infinite grab" not a "chain grab" (which is why we were describing the other one).
for that, just hit grab with the right timing (not a shield grab) after you down throw them, and you should grab them again.

The video explains how it only works 5 times, unless you use other moves (including the grab punch) to reset the move count.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
yeah, thats the "infinite grab" not a "chain grab" (which is why we were describing the other one).
for that, just hit grab with the right timing (not a shield grab) after you down throw them, and you should grab them again.

The video explains how it only works 5 times, unless you use other moves (including the grab punch) to reset the move count.
oh well im pretty sure it's just a chaingrab for a longer time. i've always heard it being called chain grab

but in that case the advice here makes sense, and yea it is easy to do a normal chain grab with him.

so in order to do the infinite ur saying u can just hit grab right? that brings me back to my problem, maybe it'll just take practice but i can't seem to get it with anyone except DK. if i do it early it shields and if i do it like half a second later it doesn't come close to reaching

fireb0rn

Smash Apprentice
For the infinite all you can really do is practice your timing. Try to get the rhythm down.

For chain-grabbing you just Dash (Forward, forward) then shield-grab (shield, attack) then head butt if you want and down-throw.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
oh well im pretty sure it's just a chaingrab for a longer time. i've always heard it being called chain grab

but in that case the advice here makes sense, and yea it is easy to do a normal chain grab with him.

so in order to do the infinite ur saying u can just hit grab right? that brings me back to my problem, maybe it'll just take practice but i can't seem to get it with anyone except DK. if i do it early it shields and if i do it like half a second later it doesn't come close to reaching
I think you missed the part that says "the infinite chain grab only works on DK,Samus,Luigi and Mario, and at times DDD and Bowser as well"

if you're trying on pit, you can't, so stop trying.

the normal chain grab works on ~21 characters, theres a list in the DDD sub-forum.

the meaning of dashing shield grab(or dashing shield) is to shield during a dash, which makes you keep momentum, and then you press A(AKA Sheild grab) and you get the standing grab animation(without the weird roll over at the end) but while moving slightly forward from the shield dash, this means you're doing DDD's standing grab(which has OMFG range) while moving forward, which gives it a larger Hitbox than the normal Dash grab, and helps you chaingrab more easily on characters that slide further(E.G Luigi)

Hope that helped. DDD > *

Also, you should try a small mixup I learned, chain grab someone over the edge, and change from Ftilting after the grab to running outside and footstooling them(works only if they FFed to avoid the Ftilt) this is one of the coolest things I've done :p

Top Bottom