• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with approaching Falco

Metroid475

Smash Cadet
Any ideas on how to approach a Falco without getting nailed by lasers or hit by smashes? I play against a pretty good falco but i cant seem to get close without taking some damage at the beginning of each stock. I mainly have to wait for him to come to me but that is pretty risky also since falco has less laggy attacks and is faster than the pink puffball.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'd say jump (make sure you don't get hit by lazahhh) and approach with aerials.

Or my personal favorite, crouch. He can't hit you, he'll have to come to you, or you'll both just sit there forever.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Try to time an UpB so you don't get hit and he'll most likely have to dodge to safety.
Or do a running spot-dodge > crouch/spot-dodge, repeat. Of course he might DownB you if you finish your approach from the ground.

Popertop

Smash Champion
That, or he could side-b you.
That thing is pretty hard to punish, but once you get the timing down you can fsmash through it.
Crouch, approach with airdodges.
Varied approach is best, like coming in from different angles and heights.
And then once you get in close swallow him and give him a taste of his own medicine! >:D
Of course, once you get in close Falco doesn't have many blind spots. :(

Metroid475

Smash Cadet
The lasers and reflector seem to be my main problem. I dont know about the final cutter though, it can be reflected and is easily spot dodged which usually leads to smash attack. I think ill try air dodging towards him. I just have to get the lasers timing down then all my problems will be gone.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
not sure if u now how to run and shield, given Kirby's height only a standing Laser or Groundcancelled laser can hit u while running. What u need to do is run and perfect shield, run and perfect shield or u can Short Hop Air Dodge (SHAD) crouch, to approach, that way u can gauge the distance u want to keep w/ Falco.

storm92

Smash Ace
What Gonzo said.

Don't use Final Cutter, it's too slow as he'll already have a SHDL off before your projectile even starts going towards him.

For the reflector, I know it sounds really weird, but try to watch for the animation. There's a slight warm-up animation when Falco takes out his reflector, so go in Training as Falco, slow it down and zoom in. Learn to pick that movement out and air dodge to miss the reflector, and he's left with the reflector coming back in while you're free to attack.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I like to space a roll so I roll right past the projectile and he still has a tiny bit of lag at the end of his lazer shot then I utilt him a couple times then upangle fsmash him when he is about to pop out of the utilts. (thats at early percents... higher percents just knock him way up and I just chase him with aerials)

Thats just one option though... Gonzo listed another one I like =D

Btw I have a trick with final cutter... lol I smash DI right as it starts so I jump forward a tiny bit then when I pull up I hit them with the very beginning of the slash... usually it catches people by surprise. Though I have only ever used this from a ledgehop... I would di so the first slash would pull him up then back out so I'd grab the ledge again.

And no falco does not have an advantage against kirby.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
You can duck the lasers, you know...if possible, try to make the Falco approach you. Makes it easier to combo the **** outta him. Taking his ability can help, too. You can laser lock better than he can.

And personally, I think Kirby's 60-40 against Falco. The dude that made the matchup thread in Tactical has something against Kirby, I swear...

...Geez, Gonzo, you're switching your sig every couple days...

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
yeah if hes camping you just dont get hit at the beginning by ducking and he cant hit you, with anylaser.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I try to copy his ability as soon as possible, though it can be tough against a good Falco, then approach with my own Shorthop double lasers (triple lasers if your fingers are fast!). Also, try crawling under the lasers (if Kirby can crawl, can't test at the moment).

Ha. I main Kirby and Falco, so I know both of their weaknesses, and trust me, Kirby has no chance against a skilled Falco.
This is untrue. Kirby can do the F-throw -> U-air -> F-throw -> U-air -> F-Smash combo, can easily gimp Falco's poor recovery with his multiple jumps, and can usually survive Falco's d-air spike with a meteor cancel. Kirby can use the stun from the lasers to have a free attack, usually a grab or F-smash.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
Ha. I main Kirby and Falco, so I know both of their weaknesses, and trust me, Kirby has no chance against a skilled Falco.
I would really have to question your statement.

Kirby can CG-String Falco until around 40% or so, his crouch can easily pressure a Falco to avoid abusing his lasers, he can gimp Falco without much risk, and Kirbyciding works wonders on him.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I try to copy his ability as soon as possible, though it can be tough against a good Falco, then approach with my own Shorthop double lasers (triple lasers if your fingers are fast!). Also, try crawling under the lasers (if Kirby can crawl, can't test at the moment).

This is untrue. Kirby can do the F-throw -> U-air -> F-throw -> U-air -> F-Smash combo, can easily gimp Falco's poor recovery with his multiple jumps, and can usually survive Falco's d-air spike with a meteor cancel. Kirby can use the stun from the lasers to have a free attack, usually a grab or F-smash.
I was showing a Falco player at a tournament today how Kirby can do short hop triple lasers...and I found that he also shoots a fourth laser right away if you buffer the laser. I understand that this probably causes a little lag at the end, but I thought it was cool that Kirby can essentially shorthop quadruple laser >_>

And I agree, Falco vs. Kirby is fairly even. No way Falco has a huge advantage, unless you're just playing someone far more skilled than you : /

Top Bottom