• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help versus DDD

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
I originally started maining Wolf until I encountered my friend's DDD. His grab-range, range in general, and projectile spam seem to do in my Wolf. I was pretty upset about this, so I found Olimar (who is a straight up pimp) and took care of DDD effectively (you honestly cannot beat 90 damage in under 10 seconds) but that is another story. I am kind of sad by this because I wanted to main Wolf before the game even came out and I still want to main him.

Please help, lol.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
You can still main Wolf. Just because you have trouble with a certain character with your main doesn't mean you don't have to main him. That's why people have secondaries. All characters have their bad match ups (though I don't find DeDeDe to be that hard). That's why people have secondaries. To counter those their mains can't match.

I main Wolf and second Olimar.

^_^

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
Well, I have also been told that I am better with Olimar though I am still going to try to work on my Wolf. DDD gives me troubles mainly because of his grabs and my friend's edge-game.

Olimar just racks up the damage so much though. Unfortunately, I am unsure how well he does against other characters (other than Zelda, Toony, Marth, and DDD)

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
TBH I don't struggle with DDD at all as wolf. This is a match up that laser spam will make the match. You can easily outrange him with laster, they key here is that u want him to be the attacker. Also if you downsmash when he grabs wolf will duck under his grab and hit him, hard to do but effective if ur friend has a grab pattern. Other than stick to quick combos when inside and save smashs for when u are behind him. Also don't get into roll fests with him, feel free to roll away and start laser spam again. He is slow in the air so should dominate him there as well.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
As Wolf, Dedede isn't tough if you know how to DI out of chain grabs. Your best defense against him is to not let him grab you in the first place. To do this, I always keep my distance at first. Just mainly use your blaster and don't attack him at close-range unless your sure he won't be able to grab you. Once you hit around 50%, his chaingrabs become very easy to escape, making his most dangerous tactic useless. With that out of the way, DDD isn't tough on the ground, his smash attacks are slow and easy for Wolf to punish. Also, it's a lot easier to pull off Wolf's spike on DDD than it is many other characters. But if you want to try that, make sure to practice it first.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Learn the lag times that Dedede has with his attacks. Do that and only his weak attacks will get you. Basically, you dodge an incoming attack and then retaliate.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
TBH I don't struggle with DDD at all as wolf. This is a match up that laser spam will make the match. You can easily outrange him with laster, they key here is that u want him to be the attacker. Also if you downsmash when he grabs wolf will duck under his grab and hit him, hard to do but effective if ur friend has a grab pattern. Other than stick to quick combos when inside and save smashs for when u are behind him. Also don't get into roll fests with him, feel free to roll away and start laser spam again. He is slow in the air so should dominate him there as well.

As Wolf, Dedede isn't tough if you know how to DI out of chain grabs. Your best defense against him is to not let him grab you in the first place. To do this, I always keep my distance at first. Just mainly use your blaster and don't attack him at close-range unless your sure he won't be able to grab you. Once you hit around 50%, his chaingrabs become very easy to escape, making his most dangerous tactic useless. With that out of the way, DDD isn't tough on the ground, his smash attacks are slow and easy for Wolf to punish. Also, it's a lot easier to pull off Wolf's spike on DDD than it is many other characters. But if you want to try that, make sure to practice it first.
I don't struggle too much with Dedede. However, I am going to have to disagree with your laser spam method. Usually Waddle Dee spam will out do laser spam.

Also, could you clarify what you mean by, "DI out of his grabs," because you can't DI out of a chain grab, or at least his. Directional Influence is just that, influencing your direction. However, this pertains to you only when you are airborne. Dedede's grab does not send you into the air, so it is impossible to DI "out of." Your best bet is to go with something quick, like a shine, to get out. However, if he does the chain grab correctly, even a shine won't get you out, but it is still your best bet. Space yourself with Bairs.

Learn the lag times that Dedede has with his attacks. Do that and only his weak attacks will get you. Basically, you dodge an incoming attack and then retaliate.
What... kind of advice... is that...?

As for your, "people say I'm better with Olimar," compliant, I know. I used to be the same Way. The best I can describe it is Olimar is easy to learn, but hard to master (or easy to abuse, hard to master), where as Wolf is rather slow on the learning curve. It takes a lot more experience with him than Olimar to use him efficiently. When I imported the game my Olimar was a million times better than my Wolf, yet I forced myself to use Wolf and get better with him. Since then I developed Wolf Walling and my Wolf is now much better than my Olimar, I think, but my Olimar still remains a force to be reckoned with.

Don't "force" yourself to main Wolf just because you want to (even though that's what I did, lol). Just do what comes naturally to you. If you find yourself saying, "Man, I like this moveset," go with that character. I wanted to main all the Star Fox characters, but find Fox unbearable to play as, sadly, so I dropped him.

In time, grasshopper.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
I don't struggle too much with Dedede. However, I am going to have to disagree with your laser spam method. Usually Waddle Dee spam will out do laser spam.
Maybe I didn't phrase it very well, but that's kinda my point. My strategy was always to fight him from a distance until I reached around 50%, which then made his chain grabbing useless. It's not like I ever just stood there and let him him me with his Waddle Dee's, he always took an equal amount of damage. As I said before, my strategy wasn't just laser spamming, I attacked him at close range, but only for a short amount of time and only when I was confident enough that he wouldn't be able to grab me.

Also, could you clarify what you mean by, "DI out of his grabs," because you can't DI out of a chain grab, or at least his. Directional Influence is just that, influencing your direction. However, this pertains to you only when you are airborne. Dedede's grab does not send you into the air, so it is impossible to DI "out of." Your best bet is to go with something quick, like a shine, to get out. However, if he does the chain grab correctly, even a shine won't get you out, but it is still your best bet. Space yourself with Bairs.
Are you sure that you can't DI out of his chain grab? I'm pretty sure that's why I was always able to escape after only 2-3 throws. I also remember jumping everytime I escaped, maybe that helped, maybe it didn't. Or maybe the Dedede players I've gone against weren't that good.

Chrnocide

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this works on perfect chain grab.. but I'm a Wolf main myself. I haven't been around these forums lately, but try to downb ( reflector ) while he's chain grabbing you. See what happens. ;]

Kensiko

Smash Rookie
You can't do squat against DeDeDe's chain grab if your opponent does it right. Only way you can get out of it is if he reaches the edge of the stage or if he screw up.

Played a bunch of games against my friend who plays DeDeDe this weekend, and the only times I got out of his chain grab, I could hear him cuss 'cause he messed up. ;)

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
I had a friend who uses wolf and for a while could get out of my chain grabs vs my DDD. He claimed it was his "skill" getting out of the grabs and I said I just was simply making mistakes occasionally. Now I got it down, and he can't do anything to get out of it, and finally believes it was me making mistakes, not him evading it :D

smashking14

Smash Cadet
D3's projctiles are pathetic, they're slow, you can attack him and theres a huge amount of lag in between them, no problem there whatsoever.

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
You are rather wrong about his projectiles. While they are slow, they stay put and block the path of Wolf's projectile thus greatly limited how Wolf can use it.

Top Bottom