• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help v zelda

Samu513

Smash Rookie
Me and my friend are pretty evenly matched. He mains zelda and I'm falco. I think that playing him has given me high blood pressure. It's almsot a requirement that he be at 140% or higher before i kill him. He also shield grabs me like a ***** even when i shffl my aerials into shines. Any tips on fighting zelda so I can beat him more easily?

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Your kidding, right?
If not then try to use your dtilt to finish her, as she's light.
You might also need to SHL to approach her, in order to get some free combos(if she reflects it, either reflect it back, or abuse the fact that it's a laggy move).

Samu513

Smash Rookie
I wish i was kidding. It kills me that I have trouble with a zelda but destroy my friends who play marth and sheik. But yea I'll dtilt more. I do the SHL approach, but the combos don't come so easily due to how light she is (not saying I cant combo her at all, just that it's harder). It also seems like I'm stunned by zelda's attacks for an absurd amount of time. Is that just a game mechanic or am I being a noob (beyond the whole trouble with zelda thing)?

demon itachi

Smash Cadet
this is the impossible challenge lol just try to shl to jump cancelled grab. if the reflecting bothers you change between high-low lazers and high-mid lazers. the easiest way to kill zelda is to spike her. if she is at high damage up airs and down tilts are great. chaining forward throw to shl to forward throw ... is good. the lazer stuns their sheild so they dont roll and if they dodge they get grabbed and i always jump cancel grab i dont know if that makes a diffrebce but just so you know.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
my friend darkmusician mains one of the best zelda in the nation and i play with him regularly. a smart zelda does not rush you, instead, she will space her fair or bair well enough and wait for you to approach her. (kinda like camping but in a smart way) there are a couple ways to defeat her.

1. laser camp like a *****, but i personally hate it and don't use it often. if you are in a tournament then i guess you can do it like how falcomist camps pkmvodka at oc3.

2. chain your moves like laser to fsmash/jab/grab

i will come back to it later because i need to get off.

Shermanator

Smash Rookie
I play one of the best Zelda players in Canada a lot (only zelda == best zelda..?). Being patient vs Zelda is really important. Rushing in earns you a foot. There aren't many moves that Zelda generally uses and they're fairly predictable. Fairly.. get it? So wait for your chance. Don't let Zelda control the match. A good way to maintain control is to prevent Zelda from getting into the air so fire lots of lasers.
Anticipate what your opponent will do and then punish him for it. I find that short hopping towards my enemy and then jumping back will usually draw out a foot (or some slow attack) which you can crash down on and punish. Also dash wavedash back.. etc..
Also when Zelda is using her up-b you can hit her while she's disapeering so jump out and spike before she completely vanishes and it will knock her out of the move. This is handy if she doesn't die after a forward smash or whatever it happens to be, you can jump out and finish it if they come close enough.
I also find that not trying to carry a combo too long helps. ie laser approach, shffl dair, shine, bair, retreat and repeat. That sort of thing seems to work for me. Zeldas hate you when you're too close or too far. Don't let them space for a foot.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
yeah ^ was pretty good stuff. others talk like zelda is an easy character, she is not THAT easy.

anyway, back to how to defeat her. as shermanator said, knowing when to retreat is very important. other than that, try to minimize your lag as much as possible (refer to chaining your attacks). small combos here and there should rack up a lot of damage for you. d tilt is really useful when your smashes get predictable.

i can answer more questions if you need to know anything.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
If you're shffl'ing correctly zelda can't shield grab you, her grab is the slowest (non grapple/hookshot) grab in the game iirc. Make sure not to start your aerials too high up in the air, or it will allow her to do so. Use your move right before you hit the ground to decrease the time spent between hitting the shield and shining or jabbing or whatever. Also try to learn to space your attacks properly so that when you are landing from your shffl you end up behind her so she can't grab you. Careful not to get bair'ed if you do that though. Maybe throw up an up tilt right after if she starts to jump out of her shield to bair you. If you manage to hit her with a dair, try to chain a few together. At mid percents you can do this a few times, especially if you can tech chase decently. Towards the end of that type of sequence, you can look to pop her up in the air for a spike. I usually use that technique a lot against jigglypuff, but I find it useful against a lot of light characters like peach mewtwo and zelda.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Does he powershield?

If no, then laser, laser, laser... Run away and repeat.

If yes, just combo the **** out of her. If you are shffling into shine he shouldn't be able to shieldgrab you, or really grab you at all...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
pillar her and stop when necessary

also, it HELPS to just think a little bit and try to be unpredictable, it works. zelda is all about anticipating falco's moves with a jab or shield, and then punishing him after. even dash attacking through her, or randomly well spaced fsmashes can throw her off, and it is fine. campy zeldas do wonders to predictable falcos... but if falcos are unpredictable, and i mean like super random but still very skilled falcos who can pull off strange improvised combos... zelda will get owned.

outspace her and you'll be fine.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
yeah @ spacing, if she's grabby, space an fsmash so you'll end up out of range. she will react by shield grabbing and you can fsmash again.

Chillaxin

Smash Cadet
You have a projectile that I would say is either the best, or one of the best in the game. Spam that ****.
You wanna control the match. Don't let that Zelda control you. She has nothing against you SHL and of course play mind games with it. DaShizWiz dash dances and lasers randomly which i have found is very useful in mindgames.

So basically pressure Zelda. Make sure you're in cocntrol of the match and keep a good distance and range because of her f-air and b-air ******. Hope that helped.

Samu513

Smash Rookie
I play one of the best Zelda players in Canada a lot (only zelda == best zelda..?). Being patient vs Zelda is really important. Rushing in earns you a foot. There aren't many moves that Zelda generally uses and they're fairly predictable. Fairly.. get it? So wait for your chance. Don't let Zelda control the match. A good way to maintain control is to prevent Zelda from getting into the air so fire lots of lasers.
Anticipate what your opponent will do and then punish him for it. I find that short hopping towards my enemy and then jumping back will usually draw out a foot (or some slow attack) which you can crash down on and punish. Also dash wavedash back.. etc..
Also when Zelda is using her up-b you can hit her while she's disapeering so jump out and spike before she completely vanishes and it will knock her out of the move. This is handy if she doesn't die after a forward smash or whatever it happens to be, you can jump out and finish it if they come close enough.
I also find that not trying to carry a combo too long helps. ie laser approach, shffl dair, shine, bair, retreat and repeat. That sort of thing seems to work for me. Zeldas hate you when you're too close or too far. Don't let them space for a foot.
That advice really helped me. We played recently and I did MUCH better than usual. I still find the match annoying, but not as bad. Thank you.

Top Bottom