• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help/rate my girlfriend's Sheik! (Youtube links added)

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
My girlfriend sometimes plays smash, but not as often as she'd like to. When we do play, she worries that she isn't getting any better because of how often she plays. She doesn't use smashboards so I figured I would record some matches to put online. Here's a set of us from a little bit under 2 months ago:

Game 1 (Falco)
Download
Youtube

Game 2 (Falco)
Download
Youtube

Game 3 (Captain Falcon)
Download
Youtube

I use Falco and Captain Falcon to give her practice against characters that represent more of what Wisconsin plays (I'm like the only doc main). I sometimes mess around with CFal and I almost never play Falco, so I really don't want advice on them. If you can help it, please don't post anything if you aren't going to post about her Sheik.

Some things she says she wants to work on:
better approaches
getting kills at lower %'s

That might help you direct some advice. I know very little about Sheik and aimless practice only goes so far sometimes :) thanks for any comments!

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
FORCE her to wavedash. Against Falco in Video 1 she would have taken tons less damage. Shieks dash A is a good launcher but she never followed up on it.

Just my opinion :D

Edit: Landing on an upsmash and attacking a shielded opponent from the air- bad ideas.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
ive got a very good advice for ur girlfriend!!!

i used to want to have a good approach with sheik too...heres one of the BEST approaches!!!(for sheik)

-Dash dance like crazy+if player has done his attack (probably didnt hit)+DASH ATTACK!

-you can also do a grab after the dash dance
(if he thinks his sheild would work good against dash attack)

...or you wave dash after the dash dance and come with a downsmash

i saw she used downsmash alot she shouldnt use it so unsuprisingly

-try using the fair more offen its a very good airial and very powerful too
-u can also approach with a short hop nair its very good

-sheild grab more offen
-use FAIR its awesome!
-dont forw. smash alot
-wavedash!!!!!

i only watched the first one though but i hope my advise was useful^^

Itchi

Smash Cadet
Yes, but you will have to remember that Shiek's DD is much faster than other characters so move left/right on a fast paste and learn to wavedash.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Work on your mindgames especially when you dthrow, just about everytime you did a dthrow you tried to ftilt him. Move around a bit and tech chase him into another grab to the point that he wont tech away then you can come up with a tilt and then punish him with an aerial.

Spam your needles at that Falco, even though his projectile is better on FD than yours, use those needles to your advantage, once you get the kill charge them up, but dont jump in the air and shoot them off, dash dance or wavedash around wait a little bit, then surprise him with a barrage of needles. Try to get as close to hitting range with another attack when you use your needles.

Edgeguarding game needs to get better as well, you missed with bair and you usually do it way too early that the attack wouldn't even connect when Falco did up-b. Also in match 2 at 1:17 you could've just hit him with a needle to edgehog and that would've taken off his stock like that, instead of doing a bair. You can hang from the ledge as well and hit them with a fair/nair/bair and then up-b back to the edge or to continue on edgehogging them incase the Falco DI'd it and still can recover somehow.

at 3:00 in the Captain Falcon match, after you bthrowed him, you should've been patient and dsmash or him, or go for a bair immediately then fall down on him with a nair or bair.

Oh and dont dash attack so much, if you're going to do it then at least follow up with another move than multiple dash attacks.

Eighteenspikes you should put up a vid of her going up against your Doc. No offense but your Falco and Falcon weren't that great.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
The big thing I saw is that she needs to watch air control. A couple times I saw her attack off the ledge then jump back and airdodge onto the stage when she didn't need to airdodge. Her upB also needs a little experience too. At the end of the first match, she upB'd into your Usmash and that could've been avoided if she'd just used the initial jerk of Sheik's upB to just grab the edge instead of using the actual teleporting part. Oh, and she should go for the ledge when recovering more than the upB, Sheik's upB has hella lag. Really it's just stuff that comes w/ practice and I thought she did a good job otherwise.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
omg, I thought the title said, "rate my girlfriends falco" and then I watched the youtube vid and i was like, "faaaaaaaaaake. someone drop an anvil on me, stat!"

your girlfriends pretty good. let her win some matches but dont make it too obvious because you might get dumped. girls get pissy over these kinds of things.

nah but all in seriousness....more mindgames, muscle memory of combos and linking them, wavedash for sure. get some grabs going. teach her about move priorities. finger dexterity for sure. make sure, and this is for all smashers, you stretch your fingers and loosen your tendons before you play and take breaks.

make her review videos of good sheik players.

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
Grab more. Sheik's grab game is excellent, and if she's trying to get more low percentage kills, grabbing will help, especially against characters with awful recoveries like Falco and Falcon.

Grab them, throw them off the edge, then gay their recovery with needles and slaps.

Also, teach her how to use tilts. Every last one of Sheik's tilts can set up a slap.

Top Bottom