• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help, por favor!

Tyros

Smash Cadet
Yeah, so... I went to the most recent Smash tourney in my region, which was Falconpunch at XPlayGround, and I got owned into submission and it made me realize a few things. L-canceling in incredibly essential, so is wavedashing, and...
Well, lots of other stuff.

Basically, I need some help in getting faster. What moves Pikachu can use to be quicker, how to make my fingers and reaction times keep up with the action, a general idea how to play mind-games... things like that. Treat me like a noob, and build me from the ground up, if you're feeling charitable with your post time. If not, well... maybe some other time?

Alrighty then, thanks a lot, and see you all later.

- Tyros

N64

Smash Champion
Well, it's kind of a broad question, but I'll do what I can to help. First, read up on the forums. Check out pictish's slightly dated but still useful guide, and my matchups list, to learn about what pika's capabilities and limitations are. Browse through the other topics to see what discussion has gone on, as much on here can be helpful.

Then, check out some videos. Get DC++ and connect to the smashboards hub (there's a guide to doing it in the melee discussion boards I think) and see what pika vids you can find. A few have also been posted here in the pika boards by some smashers, and there are a few in the video boards if you're dedicated enough to search for them. Most are hosted on youtube or googlevideo, so you can also search those sites (generally searching for player name + "pikachu" + "v." will get you results). Watch what the pika player does, what his playstyle is, how he reacts to the opponent, and any intersting things you see.

Go into practice mode or start a 1v1 vs. a lvl 1 comp and practice some stuff. Make sure you can do all the basics fairly consistently (short hopping, l-cancelling, all that jazz). Then play around with anything you think you need practice with or want to try out. If you see a particularly cool or common combo on the videos that you want to try, see if you can pull it off. Or play around with some of his moves to make sure you have a full grasp on what it does: its windup time, hitbox, lag time, knockback & damage properties, etc. The goal is to get comfortable with pikachu as a character so that in tournament play you're paying more attention to the opponent than you are to yourself to make sure you're not messing up.

Once you're confident in your tech skill, play some people. See what of pika's works and what doesn't on human opponents. If you keep getting owned after the same move, figure out what you're doing wrong or if there's a better way to approach the situation. Study your opponent while you play them and see what habits they have and be thinking of how to exploit them. Mix up your game too, always keep them guessing as to what's going to come next, and then punish them when they guess wrong.

I know this is a very general response to a general question, but there is a lot of information on these boards if you look. If you have any more specific questions (i.e. "how do you usually go about approaching a Fox?" or "is there any good way to practice varying my approach angle with quick attack?") feel free to ask in this thread. I'll do what I can to help.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Yeah, so... I went to the most recent Smash tourney in my region, which was Falconpunch at XPlayGround, and I got owned into submission and it made me realize a few things. L-canceling in incredibly essential, so is wavedashing, and...
Well, lots of other stuff.

Basically, I need some help in getting faster. What moves Pikachu can use to be quicker, how to make my fingers and reaction times keep up with the action, a general idea how to play mind-games... things like that. Treat me like a noob, and build me from the ground up, if you're feeling charitable with your post time. If not, well... maybe some other time?

Alrighty then, thanks a lot, and see you all later.

- Tyros
Getting faster doesn't necessarily make you better, you see other pikas are fast because of their skill not concentrating to much on speed.

very basic tips for speed:
-Use Nairs
-Dash dancing will make you seem faster.
- Wavedash into shffl's
- ALWAYS l-cancel Bairs.(even if you can't l-cancel with other aerials yet.)
-quick attack tricksies.
-shffl
- Eliminate use of laggy moves to often.
- fastfall for every jump unless you are trying fit more aerials in the air.
-Don't get nervous.
- tap on something or play piano to make your fingers faster.
- practice.

Tyros

Smash Cadet
Thanks to both of you, I've been practicing up, and I feel like I'm getting better. I've learned that quick-attack trick to get to edge-hog quickly, learned a few arial attacks for better range... Shuffling is still difficult, but I'm working on it, but L-canceling is going well. (The only real problem is moving quickly enough into more attacks right after the L-cancel. My best guess is because I'm used to the lag time, or... just because I'm not reacting fast enought.)

Anyway, all right, I'll try to get into specifics.

I've noticed that Pika's hitboxes are somewhat... well, small. As in like, him and nothing else, where-as many other characters have hitboxes that are them, and the air around them. Makes it difficult to attack sometimes, any ideas how to get around it?

Peace,
- Tyros

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
n airs are essential with pikachu, always try to dair near de edge, because it sends the opponent down, so its nice, use fsmash and dsmas, usmash from air.. try l canceling, and with practice, ull got the reaction time to do those movements

St. Viers

Smash Champion
tyros...his hitboxes may be small, but thats because you should be throwing yourself around: use n and b-airs. He also has decent priority, so just make sure you space your attacks and his small range will not be too bad...f/d-smash have decent range, and his u-air isn't soo bad....
*Up-smashing out of your shield makes it useful despite small range too.

*also, JC grabs make Pika faster...his dash grab lag is pretty noticable...

hope this helps!

Tera253

Smash Ace
if you are in a (bad?) habit of using thunder,make sure you're moving so it won't hit you. itreduces lag. Also, wavedash grab is if you're the throwing type (still gettin' the hang of that one). if you can do a wavedash grab with Pika, you can do it with anyone.
~Tera253~

EDIT: and, is it just Tera, or are Pikachu's ariels really easy to L-cancel?

Top Bottom