• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Help please]Snakee is a pain.

Anticipation

Smash Rookie
How do you guys deal with a campy/spammy snake. A snake that camps until you make a move. Everytime I try to approach him there are nades coming. Some cook'd and some normal. And as you try to approach he Up-A's sending missles coming down. As you try to fair to DI away he would try to Dash-A along with the up smash. And if you fail to space your fair incorrectly he'd sheild grab you and throw you into the missle. How do you deal with grenades? Even if i try to jab @ the nades they might explode. If i shield he'll approach or continue to throw nades until i have to make the approach. And as soon as i approach the whole cycle continues. And the thing about Snakes Dash A is that it extends wayyy too far. So even when u try to space your SH FAIRS to the fullest it still hits you.

Example of a scenario :
Snake is camping you with nades and waits for you to approach. As you approach he either Shield grabs if you space incorrectly or if you do space he Dash -As. I`m not saying that the Dash A hits all the time but it becomes really annoying. Its way too hard to DI and space your fairs at the same time when you go against a campy snake. You have to dodge missles and nades and still try to land in some fairs. :dizzy:

Sorry but i don't have a SD card to show you the video. Cause i dont really know the price/ where to buy it. If you guys could give me info i'd greatly appreciate it.

if you guys could help, i'd greatly appreciate it. But dont say go read EmblemLord's posts on Character's Matchup and such. I've already read it and tried but its much harder then it seems. :ohwell:

gallax

Smash Hero
your counter is a great move against snake. always watch where he plants his mines/c4. if he throws grneades then just cath and throw back(unless the are gonna explode in your face b/c snake snake shielded then grabbed the nade and threw it at you with perfect timing). If thats the case just doge his moves. snake's dash-A can be use to dash into an upmash(a.k.a. mortar slide) shield and lert him get past you . he is gonna have some lag time so you have an opportunity to get some hits in. either dash tilt him or use dancing blades. the danicing blades is great if you use down b as your last combo. focus on getting close to snake. shield/roll/spot dodge. use fmash only when necessary or u can def hit or when snake is at higher percentages.

btw: emlem lord's posts=amazing

Anticipation

Smash Rookie
the thing is that if i try to sheild roll he'll just dash and grab me or atleast something similar to it. and if i try to jump and try to move in a bit he'll just up-A (missles)

Ciel~Image

Smash Apprentice
Don't spam fairs against snake, his U-Tilt outranges you. Try different approach options.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Snake is one of those wild cards because no other character operates like he does. He can trap the hell out of a screen making it hard to approach as well as be very good at close range in the hands of a good player.

Generally the only way I have beat a good Snake is to become super aggressive after I found an opening. Once I get him I don't let up to prevent him from getting set again. This isn't easy at all to do against a good Snake, but sometimes I find it is needed.

Against more aggressive Snakes you can play them a little closer to normal than you do with camping Snakes.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
Best advice I can give is if he's spammin grenades, you have to be countin the seconds. I think they have a 5.5/ 6 second fuse, so just mentally keep track everytime you hear the tink from the pin. Other then that, your shield breaker has great reach, so if he thows a grenade, stab it and it should blow his face up without touching you. It takes practice but it works pretty well. And his mortars can be cut through but only if you hit with a tippper aerial.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I find that even well spaced F-airs don't help much in this matchup...
ANY Snake who's not a complete nub will f-tilt you out-of-shield whenever you start pressuring on them, even when its perfectly spaced- you'll get hit.

Just do your best to counter the nade spam (as answered by another poster above), and learn to powershield the dash attack-> u-smash cancel.

I think the key to this matchup is being able to consistently avoid snake's grenades, so that you can try and use a high/low mix-up as you approach using d-tilt and f-air(sparingly).
From there... ride his ***, but always hesitate for a sec, because you can easily get f-tilted away to hell again.

Snake's broke-****.
=P

Madstr

Smash Rookie
Snake is one of those wild cards because no other character operates like he does. He can trap the hell out of a screen making it hard to approach as well as be very good at close range in the hands of a good player.

Generally the only way I have beat a good Snake is to become super aggressive after I found an opening. Once I get him I don't let up to prevent him from getting set again. This isn't easy at all to do against a good Snake, but sometimes I find it is needed.

Against more aggressive Snakes you can play them a little closer to normal than you do with camping Snakes.
yea this seems right, just camp and dont start running into stuff, there no need to rush in he aint going nowhere. wait and when he does mess up come up come towards you, attack and keep attacking. stay on him, but dont be tooo reckless you out range him in hand to hand, so rush him down.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
don't let snake camp you. Force him to come in close and use his tilts. Yes his tilts can kill and are just in general ****, but a good shield and your forward B can really hurt snake. Other than that, play him as you would any other character of his weight.

Anticipation

Smash Rookie
sorry for sounding noob but i cant really powershield the dash attack-> u-smash cancel. can someoen show me? O_O

∫unk

Smash Master
unless you have godly reactions i'd just hop over it or regular shield (with the attempt at power shield)... but don't worry too much about power shielding

and I would honestly pick someone that has a slightly favorable or favorable matchup on snake instead of Marth.

Anticipation

Smash Rookie
is counter a really good thing when playing against snake? and the thing about shield rolling to the other side of a campy snake is hard cause when you get near him he'll either try to dash-A away to hit you or avoid. and if he doesnt do taht he'll just spam up-A (missles) and they'll land behind and forward so its hardd.:ohwell:

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
wow i did not know marth could dash attack usmash cancel... Falco is the only one that I knew could do that
who else?

Hey so say you dont perfect shield it and you still go for a dash -> utilt cancel. What are we looking at punishment wise?

2 hit ftilt probably, right? I'm new to fighting snake so this is good stuff. What's the damage on a 2 hit ftilt? There's a startup with snake's animation but its not too big. I mean if I can perfect shield it 50 / 50 (which I doubt), we'd have to be doing the same damage to make this an option unless we got some other options.

If you shield and miss the perfect, are you in a good situation to do a dash grab? Cuz you're going to miss the perfect shield. Curious if there are outs. I want to know i can dash instantly no matter if i perfect shield or not.

or how about... What if you block normally... Can you get an up B reversed fast enough to hit him?

or turn around fast... jump cancel shield into fair? You guys said that if he blocks even a perfect fair, he can still ftilt you?

I'm gonna go read that guide real quick. Had some snake xp tonight

∫unk

Smash Master
wow i did not know marth could dash attack usmash cancel... Falco is the only one that I knew could do that
who else?
If not everyone than a bunch can do it, but with some characters (like Marth) it's not that useful. Plus if you screw up Marth's dash attack is pretty bad so you'll get punished (different from Snake and Falco's dash attack).

Hey so say you dont perfect shield it and you still go for a dash -> utilt cancel. What are we looking at punishment wise?
Not sure what you mean here... most times when you screw up against snake you eat a f-tilt though.

2 hit ftilt probably, right? I'm new to fighting snake so this is good stuff. What's the damage on a 2 hit ftilt?
Don't know the exact damage and it changes anyway.... but I don't think his f-tilt is as bad as his up-tilt, which has a huge hitbox even in front of him. Most snakes use f-tilt, jab combo, and explosives to rack up damage, then use up-tilt to kill. f-tilt isn't too bad because snake uses it so often that it's usually pretty weak.

There's a startup with snake's animation but its not too big. I mean if I can perfect shield it 50 / 50 (which I doubt), we'd have to be doing the same damage to make this an option unless we got some other options.
It really depends on a bunch of things... whether snake has a mine close by, whether snake has already launched a up smash to cover him while he f-tilts, etc. Counter, full jump, shielding, dolphin slash are your best options.

If you shield and miss the perfect, are you in a good situation to do a dash grab? Cuz you're going to miss the perfect shield. Curious if there are outs. I want to know i can dash instantly no matter if i perfect shield or not.
Usually you get knocked back and there's minor shield stun so the snake does have enough time to react... but it depends on how close you were to him when you were shielding. If you're close enough you can go for the shield grab, but dash grab is almost always too slow.

or how about... What if you block normally... Can you get an up B reversed fast enough to hit him?
Yes.. but not sure why you need to go reversal.

or turn around fast... jump cancel shield into fair? You guys said that if he blocks even a perfect fair, he can still ftilt you?
Yes, but the thing with snake is you're not going to win if you're long distance or even mid distance. Even short distance if Snake is facing you and has his up-smash, mine, c4 cover going then you're at a disadvantage.

Your best chance with snake is to get him in the air and keep him there. Try connecting more with up-tilt, up-smash, and I would even up throw so you can get in a few juggles.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
^in regards to juggling snake

best strategy in my opinion as well. just watch out for his bair, his entire body flops out and turns into a giant hitbox. if you're waiting for him to airdodge he might pull that out instead, so remember to space your uairs when he's above you. but his dair sucks ***.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
i pretty much rush snakes and i dunno why you'd have trouble with his projectiles, they are all slow just dodge effectively and strike, or you can try making him come to you see who's more stubborn of waiting for results lol

Anticipation

Smash Rookie
i pretty much rush snakes and i dunno why you'd have trouble with his projectiles, they are all slow just dodge effectively and strike, or you can try making him come to you see who's more stubborn of waiting for results lol
well the thing is that if you try to approach him and you do manage to dodge the nades/missles he'll just spam up-smash missles and either f-tilt or shield grab you.

Top Bottom