• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Picking a Main for a tournament!

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section (remove if needed)

OK, I am an average* player and can usually get used to a new character easily. So my question is, I need a character that can do average to good in tournaments (seeing that I have my first one at 6 p.m. today). But I don't want someone who everyone hates because most people can only be good at that person by being cheap (spamming and other crap). If someone could answer this asap, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Lone Shadow (-LS-)

* I really have no real idea of how good I am, I will find out though tonight.

Ninjack

Smash Cadet
well i was going to say Pit, but then you said the whole thing about not being a charatcer that everyone hates because of being cheap and spamming...so i don't know

Dr Pepper

Smash Rookie
Pit is a good choice. You can't be afraid of being "cheap" if you want to win, though. Arrow spamming is a very good way to rack up damage.

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, but I am not "afraid" of being cheap, I just don't want people to go "Look there goes the dude who won tourneys cause he spams...". Thanks Dr Pepper I will try pit after 2 recommendations.

Dr Pepper

Smash Rookie
If you win just because you spam, doesn't that make it a good tactic? I don't see the problem. It's the responsibility of your opponent to find a way to counter it.

Anyway, I agree that Wolf is definitely another good choice. Overall, though, you'll probably do best with whoever you feel most comfortable with.

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
yeah if you don't want to play as a hated character, you DEFINATELY shouldn't play as Pit, probably the MOST hated character in Brawl so far.

What's wrong with Falco (like your avatar) sure a lot of people hate him too because of his laser spam but not as much as Pit. I would recommend, above all, to use someone your most comfortable with though.

A few other good choices: Metaknight, easy to pick up and can get kills easily enough with UpB. Olimar, even with only a tether recovery he is a beast and slightly annoying :p. G&W is Very solid this game, remember the rule of thumb to use his Bair when in doubt. Toon Link is good also, nice comboes, decent finishers, and an ok range game. ROB is another solid choice, a very good camper.

Basically I just listed all the high tiers that are easy to pick up lol

(don't be afraid to use someone in the lower tiers IF THEY SUIT YOUR PLAYSTYLE, which is all that matters. Just don't pick an abysmal choice like Ganon or a hard to pick up choice like Ice Climbers or Snake.)

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Thanks rageagainst for that solid opinion and the falco thing, I enjoy playing as him but I also wanted a new person that I had a good chance to win or at least make it past the first couple of rounds of tournaments. Also I never really understood those bair nair things, care to define them for me? (I tried to search couldn't find it)

Thanks

6footninja

Smash Ace
I would recommend Pikachu. Just going by my experience here, but I just recently started using Pika frequently, and I was quick to get "good" with him. Good combos and air combat.

This is coming from a Kirby main though, 0_o

rove

Smash Apprentice
Pick someone you think is just cool, and your favorite character.
I choose fox because he is cool.
And since falco is your favorite, you should main him, or shiek, but try to stick with one of the two for now because you should learn how to play with falco in your own way.
Then after you've accomplished that task, go on to shiek.
But thats not going to happen in one day so stick to it.
Hope that helps.

JawaJedi

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing with R.O.B. lately a lot and liking him. I once killed someone at 35% because I got him into the air, and kept using Up-B, Fair, Up B, Fair. Eventually I just pushed him off. I also really like his Nair and Down smash.

Top Bottom