• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help needed: Giving Graphic Effect a Hitbox.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Hey there.

Before you flame me like hell for this thread, i asked in 3 different PSA threads about my problem, and no one gave me a clear answer or really helped me through the problem. And i really need help. I've been to Brawlplus.net and asked their chat for help, no one helped me, Dantarion did but did not give me a clear answer either. Please answer this. I want to learn PSA but this part is just really hard for me to figure out.

Now on to my problem.

I've been editting the Utilt of Marth to his Utaunt, and i want to give it an Explosive Graphic Effect when he puts his sword in the air. Marth himself does no damage, but the explosion around him does. I used "GraphicID: 3B" and i've set it to "Asynchronous Timer: Frame 26." Because that's where his sword is in the air. I sped up the animation with the Speed modifier code, and i've put that code in ''Main'', "GFX" and "SFX." I sped it up by 1,5 times. Now i have to add an offensive collision that gives the Graphic Explosion Effect do damage and let people fly away, a hitbox. This is where i struggle. I can't seem to give it a hitbox. I made the Sizes the same, i made the X/Y/Z offsets the same, both got no Bone. So Bone is set to 0. What am i doing wrong? I also made a "Synchronous Timer: Frame 26" and put it above the Offensive Collision, i hope i did that good. I did that so the Hitbox starts at that frame. (Thats what Synchronous Timer does right?) Here are the pictures of my "Main" tab and "GFX" tab:

I hope you can help me out.

PS: I know there are more mistakes i made with this, please tell me what i did wrong and how i can fix that aswell, i just started using PSA.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
Looks to me like your Asynchronous Timer is screwing up the time for your Synchronous Timer.
You're waiting until frame 110 to create the hitbox and Marth's uptaunt only has 90 frames.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Okay, first of all, I don't know what that Asynchronous timer for 84 frames is doing, take it out.
It seems you're a bit confused about how to use timers. If you delete the hitbox in the same frame as you create it, the hitbox will not do anything. Put a synchronous timer of about 2 or 3 frames after the hitbox is created before deleting it. In case you're not sure about the difference between asynchronous and synchronous timers, here's how it works: Asynchronous timers wait until that frame of the animation - so an asynchronous timer for frame 26 means 'do this at the 26th frame of the animation. Synchronous timers means 'wait this number of frames before doing the next thing. So if you're at frame 26 and you put a synchronous timer of 3 frames, the next action after that timer will occur at frame 29.

Second of all, the sizes when it comes to graphics and hitboxes are NOT on the same scales. Graphics sizes are based on multiplying the 'default' size of a graphic a certain amount (for example, size 2 means twice the normal size of the graphic). Hitbox sizes are based on the radius of the hitbox (which is always a circle), using a constant distance scale that is on the same scale as offsets. So, you might need to experiment a bit. For example, an explosion graphic of size 2 might work with a hitbox that is size 10. But it's hard to tell, because graphics are all different sizes.

Thirdly, for offsets, they can be a bit funny when it comes to graphics. Depending on what bone they are attached to, and if the last 'undefined' value is set to 'true', sometimes you might need to switch around the X and Z values. However, if both the graphics and the hitbox have 0 offset from whatever bone they are attached to, that won't be a problem.

Hope that helps!

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I think that did help dude. I'll try out what you've said, thanks for responding. I admire you for your awesome work on PSA's btw, so thnx that you replied to this :D

EDIT: Yep, i used the Size of the hitbox to 20, and the size of the Graphic 2. So it seems that the Hitbox size has to be 10 times bigger for this Graphic effect. That's my hypothesis, at least. I got another problem though, How do i know what KnockbackGrowth and Baseknockback is? I mean, what's a good value for both?

EDIT2: Does someone know how to remove the charging on Marth on his NeutralB? Also in the air?

Top Bottom