• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help my Mario!

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
First of all, I have to say that you are one of the better marios that has posted vids here for critique; and then considering your age... wow.

You have good tech skill and a decently developed mental game; and that DAir to Up-B edgeguard is clever mess. (although a simple cape would have worked better at times)

I didn't notice if you used the Rising Tornado recovery when knocked far out, so if you don't do that it is something good to work on. Also, protect yourself with fireballs while returning; it can mess up their edgeguarding good.

Some technical things (such as your wavedashing) need to be worked on a bit, but that shouldn't be too difficult and isn't a major complaint. Impliment jump-cancelled grabs in as well; they are just extra spiffy and such. Good use of Mario's jabs though.

Really, you have a quite spiffy Mario already, and I hope you show us your improvements soon!

(Note: I based my critiques on the matches against Fox, I haven't watched the others yet.)

mario-man

Smash Lord
I REPEAT WHAT FACE SAID!!!! I MEAN WOW!!! YOU ARE ONE OF THE BEST MARIOS ON THESE BOARDS I HAVE NO DOUBT!!!!! At least of the ones that have posted vids...

I have to say that you play alot like me. Obviously not identically the same but still, alot the same. You actually taught me something, now I'm gonna teach you something by elaborating a little on what Face cubed said.

You should learn how to WD all over the stage like a mad man. (obviously the thing you have to learn about that is that you don't just go crazy, but do it with skill and purpose. You prolly already know this since you're such a fan of Eggz. Honestly though, who isn't, right. xD) The purpose is to keep your opponent off balance. Speed usually does that quite well.
I love how you used the Dair for edgeguarding. I may have to try that... maybe not. we'll see shant we?? XD

You seem to be very good at Uairs which is ALWAYS a good thing, cuz it's one of the best combo/juggle moves in Mario's arsenal.

I don't have much else to say. Man, how old are you really? 11 or 13? either way, there's not much I can say. You're just plain good. You still have room to improve though. We all do.

BTW, that Marth was a beast at combos.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
hey dude, you dont know me but i play with your big bro jared all the time, or runningbrave if you wanna get name technical lol

but anyways you have a really nice mario as far as technical stuff goes, but i think you should work on spacing, and spot dodging for rages marth, that guys a beast lol

but thats pretty much all i can critique on, very nice young plumber.

lolz

runningbrave9

Smash Cadet
i dont know much bout mario but here's a few things id like to point out...

CAPE MORE.

PLAY SMART.

i know your troubles are against fox, falco, marth, and most of all... sheik.

honestly though, you deal with each these matchups very well. i know first hand.

we'll record some more matches soon cause you improve noticeably like every week haha.

keep up the good work!

PS: (whats up fire)

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
if youre suffering against sheiks you could use my technique and just bury them in shabawd's

moving in both directions though, or else you'll catch a fair, and you know how what her fair does to us.

*shakes in fear*

PS: (hey brave hows it going?)

Little Hawk

Smash Rookie
hey guys
for those who posted with some tips thank you :)

ive been working on my JC grabs a lot.
and i think ive improved. thanks again.

and yes i just turned 12 mario-man :)

mario-man

Smash Lord
Totally unreal dude. Just not even fair. Can't wait to see some more vids. Bring em on!!

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
good smashing today reed, you shouldve dittoed me though, it wouldve been fun, and we can teach eachother, you show me that dair edgeguard, and i show you how to eat rage alive when he uses anybody besides marth and falcon lol

jk rage jk

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
You have a sweet Mario, Little Hawk. I suggest trying to wavedash out of your shield so you can have an easier time punishing players if they make a mistake. Practice chain-grabbing Falco and Fox if you can actually get a grab and after you're done, send them off.

As for Marth...well, just stay defensive on this match-up and watch out for his F-smash. Spotdodging, which is doing a dodge out of shield by pushing down while shielding, will help if Marth does any laggy attacks. Also, Marth counters Mario because of his range and his strong attacks if they land tippers. However, if you're a better player, you'll win. That's just about it for me now.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Too good! love to see all these players getting younger and younger; power to you guys. Keep on smashin....

WFL

Smash Journeyman
that DAir to Up-B edgeguard is clever mess. (although a simple cape would have worked better at times)
But you have to ask yourself. Would a cape edgeguard make you wet. I was thinking why didn't he cape the first few times then I saw that and I wet myself. It might have been almost half as sexy as g-reg (that's almost impossible).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Aight, everything everyone else has said is completely right, but I would like to add that there were times when you could have DI'd out of a throw or an attack that could have saved a lot of damage. I really liked the Dair to up-b. Keep it real.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
...i must say it was impressive :laugh:
BUT ...youre asking for help and yea i think you need it too... :chuckle:

first of all i like your mario but theres lots and lots to improve

1.WD - You should try to WD more to outsmart your opponent mix it alittle with Dash Dance yeah...
also you should SHFFL airials WAY more often ...like Uairs and Nairs

2. Approaches - you should work on your approaches too - Try this as an alternative : WD Back (if you have to) + Dash Forward to opponent + sh nair fast fall + Jump Canceled grab and then combo your opponent with some Chaingrabs or whatever you CAN do against the char you play against...
3. Projectiles - I didnt see many fireballs in the first match...but then again...most of the times you were so close to the falco... but you shouldnt spam them they come in handy though
4. Also use DSmash and FSmash a little more often...

I just watched the first vid so i cant give you much advice but just try to use the techniques..and im lookin forward to your improved Mario^^

because it really is impressive... also watch some other Mario players such as Eggz,Monk myself maybe too to copy and learn some of the techniques YOU find useful

Thats all i have to say! Have fun and good luck =D

and try to stay alittle more on the ground so you can set up your Appraoches such as Nairs and whatever^^

Top Bottom