• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help my Bowser!

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
1) You use Bowser offensively. Don't do that. Bowser is ***** when you try to approach. Rather than approach with forward air (I saw in the first match) try to predict and powershield through ROB's (or anyone elses' for that matter), like the laser, top, etc.

2) I hate Yoshi's Island, so I can't give help for that stage in particular..

3)I saw about 1 or 2 up-B's the whole battle. Rule #1 (or maybe 2), LIVE INSIDE YOUR SHIELD. All of Bowser's best options lie in his shield, aka Up-BOOS, shield grab to grab releases, etc.

4) Learn all of your grab releases on every character (or learn to generalize them. See the grab release sticky thread for more info on the grab releases.)

5) Check the three Bowser guide fusion sticky. It has a ****load of information in it, and worth a read.

GJ on maining Bowser for the new year! We hope you are active with him and help us with our matchups, any possible discoveries, or anything else pertaining to Bowser. Again, welcome.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
The main thing I noticed was the complete lack of jabs/fortress. Those are both really good moves, and the former can cancel into a klaw, fortress, grab, and even a ftilt or dtilt if you catch your opponent off guard. Upb, like Liquid Gen said, is Bowser's best out of shield option and is really the one move that makes Bowser such a defensive fortress (get it).

I liked that you were using aerials (sh fair in particular), but you should really cut down on his other aerials. You should only really be using bair from a full hop or while edgeguarding, because otherwise you will get punished from the ridiculously long ending lag. Nair is a pretty situational move that shouldn't be used as much as you used it. I liked the upair kill in the first match though :) Actually, you should just stop being in the air so much in general. Klawhopping does look cool, yes, but you also don't want to use it too much because Bowser has a huge weak spot below him. Against ROB you want to stay grounded and try to force him into the air (ROB also has a big weak spot below him).

As for killing ROB, you want to try to kill him vertically, both because of his weak spot and because his recovery makes edgeguarding very hard. Upsmash, uptilt and upair are all excellent vertical kill moves ("vertikill moves" if you will :p). Again, I liked the upair kill in the first match, but I didn't see any uptilts or upsmashes. These are especially good at killing on stages like Battlefield where you can attack from beneath the platforms.

Stop air dodging when you are off the stage and close to the edge :p You died twice doing that.

You got punished for using fire breath a lot. Either stop using it so much or try to space it better.

I also noticed you got punished for some seemingly random fsmashes. Fsmash is best used to punish poor spacing by your opponent. For example, ROB's sh double fairs can be punished by fsmash as long as you time it right.

If you do happen to get above your opponent, instead of trying to air dodge back to the ground all the time or using an aerial (and getting punished by the lag), try DIing over to the edge and using a Bowser Bomb. I saw you use it once in the second match, but it's overall a pretty reliable way to get back on even ground with your opponent. With that being said, try to be a bit more creative and mix it up once you are on the edge. Bowser's ledge attack isn't nearly as good as his <100% ledge attack in melee, and it's a lot easier to punish.

Your Bowser isn't total trash at all :) You just need to stop using your laggy attacks (bair, nair, etc) and use more of your quick attacks (jab, fortress, uptilt). It will make your Bowser overall a lot faster and harder to punish.

wildjango

Smash Cadet
well u shud spam upb like i do its really quick and hard to punish bcuz of its retreating features other than that u shud be more defensive sheild grab more and less flame

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
^ Yeah lulz, he picked up on the stuff I was either too lazy to write or didn't remember first hand.

Did I mention Yoshi's Island = Bad?

For me, anyway. No koopahop = sad faec. (at least, not effectively)

By the way, mixing in some full hop FAirs isn't a bad idea; you can fit in another fair on the way down and most people will fall for it. Not only that, but some of the taller characters (like ROB for instance) can get hurt by the first hit while rising. I like to mix this in a lot when I play.

Another thing: Jab cancels will make you cream good at Bowser. When you land a jab, try to hit with only the first hit and side-B instead of following it up with the second hit. = RAEP

And don't be afraid to down-B; it's really good for those who don't expect it, but don't use it too much.

Also, ledge cancelled down-b is like the best edgeguard ever.

Ever.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
what they all said but i will say it again in shorter form

More shield
More grabs
More upbOoS
More downb to ledge
Less firebreath
Less infinte jump
Less SH Bair

Well thats some of the things I observed :)

Top Bottom